“Great hotel. Superb location. Needs some minor service improvements” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto to your Saves list
InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   495 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Members Get Up to 35% Off
Ranked #12 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
New York City, New York
“Great hotel. Superb location. Needs some minor service improvements”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Location is excellent. Just 100m from Southern Cross Station and the main Flinders Street station is only 5 minutes walk away too. This whole area is full of restaurants and shops, including some 7-11s if you want to avoid the expensive minibar prices at the IC. The Etihad stadium is also a very short walk away.

First Impressions -
Smooth check-in and check-out process and was even kindly given a late checkout. Received a nice, clean-looking room. About half as large as a similar priced room in Sydney IC, but pleasant nonetheless. All the usual facilities you would expect - safe, iron, ironing board, bathrobes, minibar, large work-desk. Layout and design was acceptable and a big positive was the large number of power points spread across the whole room. Decent lighting. Small but functional bathroom with a shower cubicle but no bath. Usual excellent range of toiletries. TV stopped working on second day and was told this was a general problem that could take a day to fix. It was fixed a day later.

Internet -
Very poor wifi. I mean atrociously bad! Struggled to check email in-room. I would expect better from a 5-star hotel in a modern city like Melbourne. Shameful really.

Room Service -
Food was good quality. Service was not as good. Small issues spoiled the experience e.g. no soup spoon with soup., no salt and pepper, wrong dressings sent up.

Staff -
Front Desk very professional. Concierge was very helpful and staff always welcomed you whenever you entered the hotel. However, this seemed less about being friendly and more about making sure you were actually a guest and not just some ruffian off the street trying to get into their nice hotel.

Note to Hotel Manager - I dress for my comfort, not to look good for your staff. Just because I'm dressed casually doesn't mean I am some interloper trying to illegally access the IC Club Lounge. Maybe you need a roomkey-operated lift system (like IC Sydney uses) if you are so paranoid about unwanted guests accessing your hotel.

One final concern worth mentioning is that there were some small pieces of broken glass on the floor in my room. Probably a bottle or glass broken by a previous guest. I did let the maid know know and asked her to vacuum the floor, but this was never done. (I stopped tipping her after that!)

Overall, this is a great hotel which is what you would expect from the Intercontinental brand. However, there were a handful of aspects that could be improved.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Dear Ballencrieff,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with such a detailed review. I was pleased to read that overall you had a wonderful stay and that you consider the hotel to be a great one. Thank you for your feedback regarding our wifi - I will be certain to share this with our providing company.

Thank you also for providing us with some recommendations on how we may improve our service levels, I will certainly take these on board.

I hope to have the chance to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

Joerg T. Boeckeler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

From check in to check out, the Intercontinental Melbourne The Rialto offers seamless perfection.

Upon arrival at the beautiful Heritage property, we were greeted by well groomed professional, helpful staff.

Just a few steps inside the front door, I stood in awe of the hotel’s skylight covered central space between two stunningly beautiful Heritage/Landmarked buildings.

The center space reminds us of the famous alleys that Melbourne is known for, only this alley is beautifully lit and immaculate. Alluvial , the restaurant in the middle of this awesome space serves diners morning, noon and evenings regardless of weather!

We had breakfast in the restaurant every morning. The cathedral-esque setting allows diners to feel as if they are outdoors under the sun flooded skylight.
Breakfast was perfection. I, trying to remain fit while traveling in one of the world’s best culinary destinations (Melbourne)! I was planning on ordering an egg white omelette to save myself for what was coming later in the day but failed as soon as I walked into the self-serve pantry and manned omelette station.
Later in the day I redeemed myself with a swim in the absolutely gorgeous rooftop pool surrounded by a roof garden that has beehives! (The hotel produces its own honey.) After my swim I used the gym on the same level. The gym is above expectation. It is spacious, new, immaculate and has a wall of windows giving view to the surrounding buildings.

On our second evening we decided to try the Market Lane Bar on the ground level of the hotel. Its a beautiful bar thats has an open air feel to it. Theres a large bar, sofas and tables inside and high tops out on the terrace that looks out to the central space between building s quite special. The evening we were there, famous jazz musician James Morrison was playing. Amazing. This was a special performance. We were informed that James Morrison was playing exclusively at the InterContinental Melbourne, the next performance will be in Spring.

Our room was spacious, incredibly quiet and immaculate. The bathroom large with a tub perfect for a romantic bath for 2. We had uninterrupted sleeps for the entire 4 days.

Melbourne is one of the most beautiful cities I have visited and staying at the Intercontinental proved to be spot on.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
Dear KMancuso,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share with me your wonderful and very thorough review. It warmed my heart to read that you enjoyed your time with us so very much and I was so pleased to read your lovely comments about the hotel team, I will be sure to share these with them.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.
Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Had a great weekend of footy and food in Melbourne and the Rialto was the perfect base. Despite the misting rain it was a nice walk to the city centre, the laneways, Etihad Stadium, Southbank and Fed Square and a short tram ride to the MCG. The staff were very attentive and so helpful- their good training was obvious. The bar man referred us to Lui's Bar next door in the Rialto Tower- highly recommended. Our room was spacious and beautifully appointed and the coffee machine, fruit and choccies were appreciated. We enjoyed the room service breakfast- half the price of the buffet and so nice to lie in bed and eat. Why go anywhere else?

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Dear PerthOperator,

Thank you for taking the time to share with me your wonderful feedback. I was so pleased to read that you had such a great stay with us and that you enjoyed your luxurious room service breakfast. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Invercargill
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

Our experiences from the moment we walked into this prestigious and beautiful hotel till departure was fantastic.

We were pleased we booked a Club Room as the Club Lounge and facilities were first class. The friendly intimate service and relaxing space made our luxury weekend even more decadent. The canapes and drinks selection were very appealing too along with the attentive service.

The Concierge is a great place to stop by as they knew every nook and cranny of Melbourne. Dinner recommendations were great too however I recommend that you stop in at the hotel bar first to set your night up perfectly.

The breakfast and eggs were the best we have ever had. They make fresh to order and nothing was an issue.

We would recommend this hotel not only from its great location (close to everything luxury the city has to offer) but also for the friendly service, knowledgeable team and club lounge product.

Room Tip: A club room is a must!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
InterContinenta... M, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Dear GreatoneInvercargill,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful feedback. I was delighted to read your fantastic feedback, especially about the hotel team, I will be sure to share these kind words with them. I was also so pleased to read that you also enjoyed our Club Lounge facilities.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

For our first stay ever in Melbourne, this had to be the best choice of hotel bar none. My wife and I made this hotel home for four nights for our 40th wedding anniversary and what a fantastic way to do it. The Intercontinental Rialto on Collins Street is one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in. We stayed in a Deluxe King room on the 5th floor and were completely satisfied. The room was plenty big enough for my wife and I and the whole hotel just oozed class. I have never experienced more helpful and friendly staff and they went out of their way to ensure that we thoroughly enjoyed our anniversary, to the point where we received a complimentary bottle of champagne to celebrate. Their knowledge of the area, means of transport, eateries, all made it more simple for us in a new city. I'm sure we will visit Melbourne again and when we do, there will be no doubt where we will be staying. Excellent and well done, Intercontinental Rialto and staff, well done!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th floor and from where we were, the only rooms I might avoid, are those one or tw...
Dear John R,

Firstly, congratulations on your 40th wedding anniversary! Thank you for sharing with me your wonderful review, I was so happy to read that you had such a great stay and that the team ensured you had a great time in Melbourne. We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in Melbourne.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

After staying here over the longweekend I will never stay anywhere else when staying in Melbourne. The location is fantastic and the staff and amenities are truely 5 star. We had two suites for the weekend and they were amazing. The turret suite and the court yard suite. The suites were massive and very modern, the bathrooms were amazing. We also had the advantage of the club room "amazing service and food". We had breakfast every morning in the club room and could not fault it. Afternoon tea and dinner canapes and drinks were fantastic too. Any person looking for that little bit more out of a hotel, well look no further this hotel will not dissapoint you. I used the gym each morning and the equipment was great. The pool was lovely and relaxing. The day spa girls were amazing and really topped off our girls weekend away. The concierge boys were fantastic (always smiling and helpful). I loved it!!!!!

Room Tip: go for a club room, worth the extra $$$
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Kelly H,

Thank you for sharing with me your fantastic review, I was delighted to read that you had such a great stay. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

After staying at this Hotel many times over the years-this time was exceptional. A modern renovation of the rooms and bars has given the whole place an injection of class. Polite and friendly service,efficient valet parking,two classy bars, attentive waiters/bar staff,--turned a potentially plain weekend into a whole lot of fun.

Room Tip: look for the package that includes valet parking, breakfast and late check out -awesome value
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto? Share your experiences!