“Quintessential Melbourne Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto

You added InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto to your Saves list
InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   495 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Members Exclusive:25% Off
Ranked #17 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
“Quintessential Melbourne Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

This is a top contender for the Quintessential Melbourne Hotel. I never fail to stop and admire the Neo Gothic facade when I’m walking down Collins St (and dream about returning to stay in one of the turret rooms). The design is deftly sophisticated and references the history of the original Rialto building; which was conceived as a wool store by 19th Century architect William Pitt. I favour the Hotel’s Market Bar for the best vistas of the internal atrium, with its exposed brickwork, iron balustrade walkways and moody lighting. During my stay I made the most of the hotel’s public areas and the various vantage points of this visually stunning property. There’s no doubt it feels like a luxury hotel, however the overall experience didn’t quite hit the same heights, for me, as a stay at the Langham or Sofitel. (It came close though). I booked a weekend package which included late checkout and full buffet breakfast for just under $300-an advance treat for my fortieth, which I mentioned when booking. Our room was on a higher floor with natural light, as we’d requested. Masculine tones and an oversize work desk lent the room a functional elegance. The TV was oddly positioned - you’d have to sprawl diagonally to watch it – but we didn’t watch it anyway. The bed was absolutely super!. Hubby came well prepared with food and snacks from home so we didn’t venture near the mini bar, but I was surprised at the lack of decent in-room coffee. I loved the pool and spa (my first point of call in most hotels). The temperature was spot on and we practically had the space to ourselves. One person change room each for males and females though? Bring a robe from your room as they’re not supplied. As we didn’t have plans for the evening we enjoyed the semi privacy of a cubicle booth and plush chairs in the Bluestone wine lounge at the base of the atrium. For such a large open space, characterised by deep planes, it didn’t feel at all cavernous. Once again hats off to the architects who carried off the refurbishment. On the service side, I’d have to say the bar person who tended our table looked like she’d rather be anywhere but working the floor. No hint of a smile or friendly word. There is a terrific selection of Australian wines by the glass-a little on the pricey side ($12 for a Fleur De Lys, so hey, I only had two!), Great background music as well. My partner and I made a spontaneous decision to dine at the adjoining Restaurant, Alluvial. The boon was that there were only half a dozen other guests dining in, so our experience of dinner was rather intimate. Service was efficient and unobtrusive. I’d recommend it. Could have easily polished off several of chef’s pannacottas with the hotel’s very own rooftop honey. Another food highlight was breakfast-the buffet is simply the best I’ve ever had, bar none. Thankfully the late checkout gave me time to sleep it off. When we departed, the front office supervisor, who was from Indonesia, took the time to chat to us, even though the desk was getting busy, and farewelled us with a beautiful smile. If this kind of encounter happened more frequently, and staff went the extra mile to attend to small details, the hotel would really live up to its world class tag.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
InterContinenta... M, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Dear PaulaHWithoutAnAlias,

Happy 40th Birthday! Thank you very much for taking the time to share with me your feedback. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed Alluvial and Bluestone - in particular the pannacotta with our rooftop honey. Thank you also for your feedback regarding the position of the TV and service in the bar, I will be sure to share this feedback with the relevant department heads. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again.

Joerg T. Boeckeler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Townsville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

We were fortunate enough to spend 4 days at the Intercontinental Melbourne for a second time this year. This time it felt like we were catching up with old friends, with a lot of friendly faces still there from our last visit. We enjoyed access to The Club lounge, where breakfast was fabulous as well as the lounge being a lovely place to relax at the end of the day (the i-pads for the kids is a big tick from me). Probably the most notable thing about this hotel is that the staff are really trying hard to make your stay both an enjoyable and memorable occasion. With a good location to most of Melbourne's tourist spots as well as Bourke St Mall, it is difficult to find fault with this establishment.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Michelle K,

Thank you for sharing with me your review, I was so glad to read that you enjoyed your stay and in particular the Club InterContinental facilities. I was delighted to read you comments regarding our staff trying hard to make your stay enjoyable and memorable, I will ensure this feedback is passed onto the relevant teams. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

We stayed here last week as we had a dinner to attend at a restaurant and wanted to stay close to the restaurant. The check in process was excellent with the valet parking being extremely handy. The receptionist was excellent and attended to us with a smile.
The room was nice enough and had all the expected amenities of a 5 star hotel. The breakfast was more a feast as there was nothing that one could want that was not provided. The chef even cooked my eggs just the way I like it.
Late checkout was also nice and the entire experience was well worth the charge for the room, breakfast and valet parking.

Room Tip: Be courteous and respectful to staff anywhere and you might just get that bit better service. Rememb...
Dear steve I,

Thank you for sharing your kind feedback, I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your time at the hotel. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Perth Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

My wife and I have just enjoyed a great stay at The Intercontinental Melboure.
We were upgraded to a King Deluxe Room because of our Gold Ambassador Status.
The room was great,very large and comfortable.
Staff were very friendly and helpful.The hotel is located within walking distance of the centre of Melbourne and a lot o the local attractions.

Dear topmark4

Thank you for taking the time to share with me your wonderful review. I was particularly pleased to read your lovely comments about the hotel team.
We hope to welcome you back to InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto again soon.

Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

We have stayed in InterContinental Hotels throughout Australia and Asia and we would definately compare this Hotel with our last stay in the Intercontinental Szhenzen which was world class. The reception staff were exceptional as were all other staff we encountered including the doorman, restaurant staff, bar staff and club lounge staff. We will now be returning with friends in July due to the wonderful experience! The club rooms are excellent and very spacious and we would recommend these to anybody if it is within their budget.

Room Tip: If you can upgrade to a club room you will love it!
Dear conder41,

Thank you for sharing with me your wonderful review. I was so happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in July!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

Modern, sleek, loved the room. Very good service.
Not sure if they have a spa.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Dear ebr01,

Thank you for sharing with me your kind feedback. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. East Day Spa are within our hotel and offer a range of Spa treatments. If you would like to use their facilities next time you are at the hotel, please don't hesitate to speak to a member of our staff, who would be happy to assist in making an appointment for you.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

We stayed here with a few friends and the service we got was absolutely amazing. Rooms were lovely, loved the shower. Our friend received a complimentary bottle of wine and birthday card for her birthday which was just lovely. The valet parking and front counter staff were just fantastic, couldnt be more happy. Breakfast was excellent, a breakfast lovers dream. Would definatly stay again, especially as its right in centre of Melboure.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Jasmina L,

Thank you for taking the time to share with me your review. I was so happy to read that you enjoyed all the aspects of your stay so much. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Joerg T. Boeckeler

Been to InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto? Share your experiences!