“Great, but expensive!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto

You added InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto to your Saves list
InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   495 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #16 of 173 Hotels in Melbourne
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Denver, Colorado
“Great, but expensive!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

You can pamper yourself in this great but expensive downtown hotel.
It is a historic building converted into a hotel, and the lack of exterior windows in some rooms is its biggest weakness.
If you decide to shell out $315/night (internet is extra at $30/day, same with breakfast) make sure you go to the Eclipse Café on the street level – and try their delicious cappuccinos… The Café is a separate business and is not part of the hotel, but it sure adds to the great experience. Personally, I think their coffees beat Italy hands down!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Dear Dman_DW,

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. I was pleased to hear that you had a great experience and enjoyed your coffee at Eclipse.

May I suggest that if you are looking to purchase internet and breakfast upon on your next visit, that you upgrade into a Club InterContinental room? As well as being a superior room type, the Club InterContinental Lounge also includes breakfast, afternoon tea, evening drinks and canapés as well as Internet access and use of our iPad. Most of our guests find this to be very good value if you will be using these services.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Joerg T. Boeckeler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Adelaide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

The Rialto is a 5 star hotel and it is brilliant - mostly. The room layout, for example, is not thought out that well. There is nowhere to sit and watch telly as it is in a difficult position on a side wall. The desk takes up a great swag of the room which equates to wasted space. The chase is a one person affair which leaves your partner with having to use the desk chair for a lounge. The restaurant serves soup without spoons to eat it with and you have to chase them for a peice of bread.

However, where it is brilliant it is absolutely "the best". The service and front desk attention is excellent. The room is comfortable and the bathrooms are what you would expect from a top class hotel. The shampoos and other requisites are high quality. The bed and pillows are "splungy" and great to get into at the end of the day. The ambience of the hotel itself is lovely, with the old world charm combined with modern amenities. The look of the place at night with the blue lights is wonderful. You have to see it to understand, but it is well worth a look! The spa and pool are great and clean. A nice touch is the roof garden, which supplies fresh herbs to the restaurant as well as fresh honey from the bees maintained in the garden. There are loads of little things as well that make it great such as the nightly turn-down service with the traditional old fashioned "chocolate" left on your bed, and a weather forecast on your pillow for the next day.

The best part about this hotel is by far and away the "Club". For $200, you can become a member and use the club anytime you stay in one of their chain. From the moment you walk in, you are made to feel something special. Evening "drinkies" are accompanied by a "tasting plate" which quite frankly is superb. Breakfast is served in the club which makes the price of staying at the hotel more reasonable, where all the usual fare is supplied. It's kind of cool having honey on your toast fresh from the honeycomb still on the pallette from the bees on the roof garden!

In all, a very lovely hotel with superb front of house service and people wanting to make your stay a memorable one, which ours was. The slightly inconvenient room layout (which would be fine and quite convenient for the single business traveller) was a small inconvenience when compared with the general quality of the hotel and the service, right in the heart of Melbourne.

Room Tip: Corner Deluxe King rooms are slightly larger. Higher rooms have "natural" outside light a...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Dear EljayAdelaide,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I was happy to hear that you experienced the high level of service that we strive to provide for all our guests and that you overall had a great time. Thank you also for your feedback regarding the position of the television.

I was so pleased to read your lovely comments about the Club InterContinental Lounge. Many of our guests also enjoy the complimentary drinks, canapés, breakfast and unique Melbourne feel within our Club Lounge facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Woodend, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

My husband and I are both Royal Ambassadors which is a real treat. We have stayed here twice in the last month and a number of times previously. We love the ambience of the hotel. To our delight our stay a few weeks ago we were upgraded to the Iconic suite. Huge. We didn't want to leave!!The staff in the club lounge are extremely friendly as is the hard working chef.
Our next stay I booked a king room and again we were upgraded to club level but I must say the room was the smallest room we have ever had here. Barely enough room for our suitcase. If it wasn't for the club benefits we would have been very disappointed.I would have hated to have paid a lot of money for this room. We were using our priority privilege 25% voucher so was OK.
As usual the staff are great, including the door staff who always greet you with a smile and the lovely staff in the club lounge who take note of your likes and dislikes.

Room Tip: Always book a club room if you have time for evening drinks
Dear ceecee018

Thank you for sharing with me your feedback, and your kind words about the hotel. I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and received our usual high levels of customer service.

It was wonderful to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed staying in the Iconic Suite and also thank you for your feedback about the layout of the second room you stayed in. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed the ambience of the hotel and your overall experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

I've stayed here twice now. I loved it the first time, impressive lobby, big room, good gym, nice pool and little touches like a weather forecast left on your bed in the evenings. My stay last night however was a bit more on the miss side. The room was TINY, without doubt the smallest I've ever stayed in in a hotel of this class (with the exception of in Japan). Also irritating was the bed that had a tendency to roll around at the slightest push, and the absence of a bin in the room (probably because there was not enough room to put one). There was also some confusion as to whether internet was included in my rate, it was advertised as such on the booking site but turned out not to be the case. On the plus side I was given a complimentary 2pm checkout, rare and most appreciated.

They're also doing some painting work which makes the public areas look a bit like a building site, though they should be applauded for keeping the place looking nice where so many even high-end places don't bother. It might be an idea to let guests know this when they check-in however.

I'd stay again but would most definitely request a room on the eastern side of the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the eastern side are considerably larger and better appointed than those on the western sid...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear Jace74,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I was happy to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed the hotel the first time you visited. I was saddened however, to read that you found your room to be smaller than you had expected on your second visit and there was some confusion over whether internet was included in your rate. I hope that you enjoyed the late checkout. Thank you also for your feedback regarding the repair work. I was pleased to hear that you would be happy to stay here again.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

Feel like at Home in the nice rooms!
Perfect location, excellent service, nice people everywhere in this hotel.
perfect lounge for ambassadors.

Room Tip: perfect suites and large rooms!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Dear Christof S,
Thank you very much for sharing with me your wonderful review, I was particularly pleased to read your wonderful comments about Kishor and Tati - they are both indeed assets to the team here, and I will be sure to share your feedback with them.
The entire hotel team looks forward to welcoming you to the hotel.
Berwick, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

Really good hotel , room very nice . Facilities very good , nice pool and gym . All staff very friendly and efficient , one negative was the Buffett breakfast , fairly ordinary offering - expected much more of this standard hotel

Dear 54Bulldogs,
Thank you for sharing with me your feedback, and your kind words about the hotel. I was however disheartened to read your feedback regarding our breakfast offering and I would very much like to hear your thoughts in more detail. I will message you my email address and I certainly welcome you to contact me directly with your feedback and comments, so that we may take this on board and continue to improve and grow.
I hope to hear from you soon.
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

Went in for some drinks and some conversation at the bar with about 7 friends, having been usually accustomed to impeccable service and a formal yet relaxed atmosphere, we were shocked at what we found.

Upon arrival, there was no warm reception nor a pleasant greeting, just a "you can sit down the back and i'll be over soon", as we walked over the attendant called out (yes called out) to us informing us that there would be no happy hour on a Saturday. We sat down and a man came over inconsistently raving about the happy hour and took our drink orders, they were average and no Champagne cocktails were on the menu, very disappointing indeed.

A friend soon order a caffe late which was thrust down on the table and was stone cold, the notion of serving cold coffee in a Hotel such as this was baffling! Anyway, in the corner, tucked away, the next thing we know is two screaming kids running up and down the corridor and stairs. Both the bar attendants and mother (Whom clearly was some cashed-up bogan) were laughing at the expense of others in the bar. As many people walked out, we did too.

Appalling service..

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
Dear Travellerguy101,

Thank you for sharing with me your review. I was saddened to read your comments about your experience in BlueStone Wine Lounge last Saturday evening, especially as we strive to fulfil our guests needs and you clearly left dissatisfied, which I would like to apologise for.

I am very sorry that we did not meet your expectations, particularly in regards to the happy hour offering. You might be interested to know that we operate after work happy hour from Monday - Friday in BlueStone Wine Lounge from 5pm - 7pm.

We pride ourselves on welcoming everyone to the hotel, regardless of age all guests are entitled to use our facilities and public areas equally, however I am very sorry that you were inconvenienced by this last weekend.

Joerg T. Boeckeler

Been to InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto? Share your experiences!