“Amongst best in class” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto

You added InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto to your Saves list
InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   495 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #16 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Amongst best in class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

I have stayed at ICH Melb Rialto a dozen times over the last 1 year. Prior to this, I have tried quite a few similar class hotels in Melbourne including Sofitel, Grand Hyatt, Westin, Langham, Quay West Suites, The Blackman to name a few. I have been a returning client ever since I discovered this hotel. The location is ideal, away from the hustle and bustle of the city after hours and weekends, yet close enough to the main shopping and dining areas of Melbourne including Southbank (Crown Casino). On that note, parking options are slightly better than the main shopping/dining areas within the CBD. The experience of this hotel, begins with the entry of the hotel and for me, this is the stunning architecture of the building surrounded by their refreshing signature scent of the hotel. Like most hotels, staff congeniality can be variable, but professional and relatively friendly without going overboard. I have had the privilege of staying in a variety of different rooms and suites of this hotel, at times through generous complimentary upgrades. The decor is consistent throughout their rooms and the quality of the furnishing and amenities (Elemis in rooms and Chopard in suites) are excellent quality. The beds had always been firm and provided many good nights sleep, clean and crisp white linen with matching quality pillows. Towels are plush and happily provided for if in-room massage is organized. I have had two external mobile massage service come through and both occasions the therapists reported that they had been well accommodated for with assistance with their parking. The rooms facing Collins St appears to be noisier eventhough it is doubly insulated for noise reduction, compared with the Flinder Lane end but some of their best suites are located facing Collins St - this is consistent with apartments on Collins St in general with the most priced units fronting the street. The breakfast in Alluvial Restaurant provides a good spread for breakfast. This restaurant is sublime to dine in for appreciating the architectural design of the building. In the evening, the stunning blue lit balconies and high ceiling of the building wows most people. The food although not amazing is palate friendly and above average most of the time. The Club Lounge has top quality delicacies and spreads for breakfast and evening canapes. Although understaffed during busy times, staff are mostly accomodating and tries their best to keep everyone attended to, but can be frustrating for some clients during these times. A choice of good drops, cheeses and meat platter never fail to be enjoyed in the evenings. The breakfast spread is the usual fare, although appear more limited in choice due to space limitation compared with the Alluvial Restaurant, can be complimented by made-to-order common breakfast items. I find the afternoon tea a bit of a hit and miss, with the spread quite limited at times and had been disappointed before. Located on the rooftop, they have a fairly average fitness centre with most standard equipment and a pool good for a dip but not for lap-swimming. I must say I do not stay in this hotel for the gym or the pool. Adjacent here in the rooftop is a herb-garden where they also harvest their own honey, sometimes offerred at the club lounge - yum! Saving the best for last, I find that management do value their clients' feedback and comments and I would encourage any dissatisfaction to be brought to their attention. I have felt appreciated with my feedback being previously acknowledged and thanked with complimentary lounge access on one occasion. My most recent visit caught me by surprise as I have become used to the familiar faces of the hotel, but certainly did not set any expectations on others to recognise me (although one might expect this to be the case). I could not have felt more special and appreciated when the Guest Relation Manager, Kishor acknowledged and greeted me personally by name without any prompts. I do think that these little personalization efforts go a long way, yet one can get dissapointed easily if they expect it. It is best felt when it is least expected. Although I enjoy my stays here, they are not perfect everytime but close enough for me with some minor hiccups here and there that I can live with.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Dear Choong_N,
Thank you very much for sharing with me your thorough and generous review. I was so pleased to read that you have been able to experience so many aspects of the hotel during your stays with us, particularly the Club InterContinental Lounge which is indeed a very special place.
I would also like to thank you for your kind comments regarding the team at the hotel and in particular Kishor, please be assured that I will share these lovely comments with the team.
Joerg T. Boeckeler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

We just spent one night at the Intercontinental Hotel at the Rialto in Melbourne.
The service we received was the best we have ever received from a hotel in Australia and we have been to several in Melbourne, Sydney and on the Gold Coast in Queensland.
We were made to feel welcome as soon as we dropped the car off and this continued until we checked out. Every staff member from the Valet staff to the Chef at the Restaurant, walmly acknowledged us. Nothing was too much trouble for them.
Some other prominent hotels in Melbourne are happy to take your money but once you've booked in, make you feel more like a number.
We would recommend the Intercontinental in Melbourne to anyone wishing to stay in our great city.
And it's alot cheaper than these other prominent hotels too !

Room Tip: don't think any room will disappoint
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
Dear Peter S,
Thank you for sharing me with your generous feedback regarding your recent stay. It warmed my heart to read that you experienced such wonderful service as the hotel team and I constantly strive to deliver authentic and enriching five star service. I will be sure to share your lovely comments with them also.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

It was our weeding night my wife and myself were impressed from the moment we step inside the room , Courtyard Suite. The suit was offered to us with a very reasonable price By Kishor , Guest Relation Manager. Possibly because of the special event of our life. Followed by a very warm welcome the room was very well presented. The rooms facility were fantastic and certainly made our stay very special. We have enjoyed the SPA and the room service Breakfast in the morning.
The Hotel architecture still carries the history and at the same time very modern as well. In a word friendly staff and special care have made our time very memorable. A very special thanks to Kishor for his suggestion to experience the Courtyard Suite. It was money worth spending and we plan to have experience once again...............

Dear Mohammad Ariful I,
Thank you so very much for taking the time to share with me your kind review and may I also say congratulations on your wedding, we feel honoured to have been part of such a very special occasion.
We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again, perhaps on your anniversary, if not sooner.
Ocean Grove, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

Let me start by saying that I stayed with my brother, who is a very regular client so we were upgraded to a corner suite whch was amazing, so this may have a lot to do with our enjoyment of the hotel.
But in saying that we were so well looked after. I loved the concierge, they helped us with any little thing my 7yo daughter and I needed, while my brother was at work. Suggesting a great restaurant for our dinner and giving us free chocolates from the shop next door.
The hotel is in a fantastic position within 5 minute walk from the train station. Trams and buses outside your door.
The pool, gym area is lovely. The room service was good. Breakfast beautiful.
A bit of confusion getting a remote that would work and also having the room made up but not a big deal.
We had a late afternoon check out which really helped with the relaxing.
The room was so big and they brought in a rollaway for my daughter no problems for us. We did only pay for the 2 double bed room but I have stayed in them before and they are nice too.
All up I loved this hotel and would definately stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, April 3, 2012
Dear katwallington,
Thank you for sharing with me your wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay.
I was so happy to read that you, your daughter and your brother had such a delightful stay and that and on this occasion you felt that we delivered the service levels that we aim to continuously deliver.
I would also like to assure you that we strive to deliver enriching, authentic and genuine five star service to all of our guests, regardless of whether they are a regular client or a first time visitor!
We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel again soon.
Down Under
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

This was the first time I had stayed at the hotel, though I have used the function centre there on a number of occasions. It was a great experience. I have become a bit jaded with some of my old favourites in Melbourne town, so it was nice to go somewhere new, even if it was for one short nights stay.

Rooms were well appointed and very comfortable. I love the way this hotel is laid out and the feel that it has. I found the staff very welcoming and helpful - though I really did not need much during our stay.

It is located in a great part of Melbourne CBD and pretty easy to get from here to wherever you need to go. I will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dear TravellinRooster,
Thank you very much for sharing with me your wonderful feedback. I was so pleased to read that after holding various conferences or events within the hotel you were able to experience the hotel as a guest and make use of the various facilities.
We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon, hopefully for a longer stay this time!
Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

I stayed here recently on a work trip for one night.
After flying from interstate I checked in in the early evening and was allocated a room on the first floor in a room next the the Rialto towers.

Initially I couldn't work out how to shut the night blinds but found a dial next to the bed but nowhere near the blinds.
Maybe an instruction card in the folio would help with the room gadgets.

But to get on to the important part.....there was constant noise from the escalator servicing the Rialto towers. It went on all night long and sounded like a train going down the tracks. After an absolutely terrible night of disturbed sleep the cleaners at the Rialto were outside the room with a blower-vac at 6.00am!

As I was there for business I couldn't stay in bed and try to catch up on rest so had a very grumpy day indeed. What would have been the point anyway, that escalator goes 24/7.

Upon check-out I made a complaint to the staff member at reception who duly noted my comments and guess what....same complaint from the guest in the room next to mine.

I've heard nothing from back from managment so I guess they aren't too concerned about the complaints made.

I travel interstate on business quite a bit and get to choose the hotel for myself and colleagues. Most of the 5* hotels tick the boxes for service, breakfast and so on so I'm always looking for a point of difference and in this case it was the noise and the lack of response from managment following the complaint.

Suffice to say the Intercontenintal the Rialto is off the list both for myself and those with whom I work.

Room Tip: Not on the Rialto Towers side of the building.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, March 29, 2012
Dear perthdweller,
Thank you for sharing with me your review, I was however saddened to read that you did not experience the seamless and enriching experience that we strive to provide all of our guests and may I please extend my most sincere apologies for the inconvenience of the loss of sleep that you experienced during your stay.
I would also like to apologise to you that your complaint seems to not have reached me. We operate a guest communications log and I personally take great pride in replying to each and every comment as I do to all Trip Advisor reviews also.
I sincerely think that we can resolve this issue and I would be very grateful if you would be kind enough to contact me via email, I will message you my contact details via Trip Advisor messaging.
I hope to have a chance to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

My wife and I stayed for three nights (24-26 March) at the Rialto hotel and have nothing but praise. The staff are excellent, each one we met treated us in a professional yet friendly manner, nothing was too much trouble. We forgot to put the "please service our room" tag on the door one day and rang reception to see if it would be possible to still have it serviced even though it was long after the cleaning time. It was attended to within the hour which we really appreciated. We are Ambassador members (which I suggest everyone joins, it is well worth it) and were upgraded to a King Premium Club room. It was fantastic. Very clean, had everything you could want. The shower was great, lovely water pressure. The bed was very comfortable and the goose down pillows were wonderful. The club room was great. Lovely cooked breakfast in the morning, afternoon tea with cakes and scones, and evening drinks with chef tasting plates and cheese and biscuits, excellent. The staff in the club room were fantastic, very welcoming and accomodating. The hotel itself looks terrific, it is in a very convenient location being within walking distance of virtually every where and there is a chocolate shop and cupcake store right next door! What's not to like! It was with great regret that we had to go home, could have easily stayed another week. Thankyou to the management and staff of the Rialto hotel, we shall definately be back.

Room Tip: Our room, 321, was excellent.
Dear Devoent,
Thank you very much for sharing with me your kind review. I was so pleased to read about your wonderful stay and it made me so happy to see that you were able to make the most of our fantastic Club InterContinental lounge and also Haigh's Chocolates and The Cupcake Bakery!
Please also be assured that I will pass your kind praise on to the hotel team too.