“Great stay in Melbourne” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto to your Saves list
InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   495 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
IHG Special up to 25% Off
Ranked #10 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Great stay in Melbourne”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our recent stay at the Intercontinental in Melbourne. The hotel is in a charming old building with a great ambience. The level of service from all the staff - concierge, reception and in the club lounge - was exceptional and very child-friendly, making our 9 year old feel very welcome. We enjoyed our stay here much more than previous stays at the Sofitel and the Intercontinental will now be our hotel of choice for future visits to Melbourne.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
Dear Dvaravati,
Thank you very much for your kind review. It warmed my heart to read that you and your family had such a wonderful stay and the entire hotel team looks forward to welcoming you all back again soon.

1,078 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

The staff were welcoming and pleasant and the service fantastic. The rooms were nice and the breakfast was great. Would definitely stay again if given the opportunity. Unsure of internet facilities though. They didn't make that clear.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Dear WimK1234,
Thank you so much for sharing with us your lovely review, I was so pleased to read that you has such a wonderful stay, I must also apologise if our Internet alternatives were not as clear as they should have been.
We offer WiFi in our public areas in which guests can access 30 minutes per day free of charge and Club InterContinental guests may also access 24 hours complimentary Internet in the Club InterContinental lounge. Additionally all rooms are able to purchase hard-wired Internet with a large bandwidth which is managed by an external provider which will prompt you upon log in.
If you have any queries regarding our Internet facilities,(or anything else) please do not hesitate to contact me and I will do my best to assist you.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future.
Geelong, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

my husband and i have stayed here on several occasions and we are always amazed by the service, the staff, the quality, the surrounds - everything. So much so that we have said on future trips to melbourne we will only stay here. The building is just beautiful, the service from the front door is exceptional, the beds are so so so comfortable, the breakfast is amazing, the bar area is beautiful. Can not recommend this hotel enough, treat yourself and stay here at least once!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, January 27, 2012
Dear mumof2_12,
Thank you for taking the time to share with me your wonderful feedback. I was so pleased to read that you have had such great experiences and that we are now your first choice of accommodation.
The entire hotel team looks forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

Having stayed six times in the last few years, I have always found my stays enjoyable. However, the food and beverage service is, in my opinion, really letting the hotel down. Based on my most recent stay, regrettably it probably won't be my choice by default for future visits to Melbourne.

Room: fortunate enough to be upgraded to a King Premium Suite, it was luxurious and spacious (see photos). Stand-outs were an excellent jet and rain shower, and an exceptionally comfortable bed.

Restaurant: Lunch - inattentive service (though quiet) with satisfactory food, noting however that staff are inflexible for those with common dietary requirements. Dinner - poor food quality and service (again, quiet). Issues included a lengthy wait before ordering, bread arriving after the main, and the main - cannelloni - being poorly presented and stodgy, with a hard chewy base. Over ten minutes after ceasing eating, staff had still not even walked by - let alone checked if there was an issue. Upon eventually locating a member of staff, and making management aware, an apology and goodwill gesture was however forthcoming.

Club IC: service was on the whole below par – with only an occasional glimpse of good service. On three visits over two days an order was forgotten; and at breakfast the tables largely went uncleared/were not reset (lacking cutlery, butter, etc).

Check-in/Check-out: efficient, with friendly and helpful front-desk and concierge.

In summary, if you're looking for a luxurious hotel in Melbourne - but are not planning on utilising its food or beverage services - then this is still a good choice. If however you are, then I would suggest you evaluate your options.

Room Tip: If you have a long stay planned, or a few upcoming stays at IC Hotels, its worry considering joining...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Dear nick164,
Thank you for your feedback. I was disheartened to read your review, especially as you have had such wonderful experiences with us in the past and I also see that you are a Trip Advisor Top Contributor.
I would like to thank you for thoroughly explaining the issues you experienced during your most recent stay and please be assured that I have raised these issues with the relevant department heads and promise that we will make sincere improvements.
I look forward to showing these to you when you next have the opportunity to return to the hotel,
please contact me personally when you will be returning so that I may take care of you personally.
sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

Up side of my stay is the architecture of the building and the ambiance of the lobby. Down side is the size of a standard room....very small/tight in comparison to other 5-star hotel standard rooms. Pool and spa is average and dated...been to nicer ones. So overall my birthday retreat experience was abit disappointing when I expected more from a renowned 5-star hotel and based on other reviews.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Dear maxzoomx3,
Thank you for taking the time to share with me your review.
I am so sorry to read that on this occasion your stay was not satisfactory, particularly as you were celebrating your birthday. I notice that you stayed with us in March 2011 and I am pleased to advise that the hotel has evolved considerably since then. I would like the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again to witness these improvements and would like to encourage you to please contact me directly so that I may personally assist you with your booking.
I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

Minutes work away from Rail station, Victoria market.
Concierge is helpful with my various meeting travel needs, helped to check rail schedule, etc. Rail tickets can also be bought from concierge.
Room is very comfortable, as expected of Intercontinental.

Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, January 9, 2012
Dear 1place1dream,
Thank you for your kind review regarding your recent stay at the hotel, please be assured that I will share your wonderful feedback with our Concierge team.
We look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Geelong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the InterContinental- The Rialto. Celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary, we were delighted to receive an upgrade and a complimentary bottle of bubbles was sent to our room also.

We dined at Vue de monde one evening so the location was perfect for us. The room was very comfortable, pool temperature perfect and the buffet breakfast was delicious, as you would expect. The level of customer service was excellent thoroughout our stay. This was our first stay at this hotel and we were impressed!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Aust5,
Happy anniversary and thank you for taking the time to share with us your lovely review. I am so glad to read that we were able to assist in making this special occasion even more memorable.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.
Joerg T. Boeckeler

Been to InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto? Share your experiences!