“Amazing stay in the classy Iconic Suite with fantastic customer service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto

You added InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto to your Saves list
InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   495 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Members Exclusive:25% Off
Ranked #14 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Australia
“Amazing stay in the classy Iconic Suite with fantastic customer service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

We have stayed at the Intercontinental Melbourne several times as it is our choice of hotels when celebrating special occasions. We believe it has the edge over all the other 5 star hotels in Melbourne that we have stayed in.
Last time we were in a Premiere Room which was very spacious with a comfy sitting area and big bathroom with walk in robe. On that particular stay there was some confusion with our booking and the room type we were entitled to as Gold Ambassadors. This was eventually sorted out and I wrote to the Guest Relations Manager - Kishor and informed him of our experience which had caused us some inconvenience and anguish. He apologised profusely and insisted that our next stay would be handled personally by him.
Kishor was there to greet us on arrival and informed us that we had been upgraded from a Deluxe room to the Iconic Suite. I believe this is the very best room at the Intercontinental and boy what a room ! Like the difference between Economy and Business Class.
The suite is huge with a very classy and modern feel to it. The enormous longe room has a good office desk and very comfortable lounge chairs and sofas - enough to entertain about a dozen people comfortably. Double glazed windows look out on to Collins St which bring in lots of natural light but keep out any street or traffic noise - perfect.
The bedroom was very decadent with a comfy lounge and the usual super sumptuous bed with top quality bed linen and a huge pillow menu to chose from.
The bathroom was gigantic with a big walk in robe, spa bath , double vanities and a state of the art shower system that was more like the cockpit of a plane it had so many options and shower heads :)
The best part was the Chopard toiletries which were laid on in abundence - heavenly.
There were 3 flatscreen tvs - one in each room.
To top all this off a bottle of red wine and cheese platter were delivered to our room accompanied by a hand written card welcoming us back
We thought this suite would be absolutely perfect for a long stay business person or ideal for a bridal party to get ready in and fabulous for a couple on their wedding night - a totally indulgent and memorable experience for sure :)
We have stayed in some amazing hotels as you can see by my other reviews on Trip Advisor and the Iconic Suite totally blew us away but it was the high level of customer service that was very much appreciated and that we were very impressed by.
Kishor , I have seen your name pop up in other reviews here and I completely agree with all the glowing reviews you have received from other satisfied customers - you really are a gem and I am sure you are a big reason that the Intercontinental Melbourne rates so highly with your guests.
At the end of the day it is service that makes a customer a loyal one
A big thank you to all the happy and helpful staff of the Intercon for making our weekend such a memorable one - we will be back for sure !

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, November 14, 2011
Dear MickiAustralia,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely and thorough review of your recent stay. It was our absolute pleasure to look after you and I am glad that Kishor and the team were able to make amends for the issue you had experienced previously. It made me very happy to read that you enjoyed our Iconic Suite so much, it is indeed a wonderfully stylish room and a very luxurious experience.

The entire hotel team looks forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Joerg T. Boeckeler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I gave this hotel a go a few years ago and thought I would see if it has improved. As a local Melbournian there are just too many others ahead of it. Again I was disappointed with some key elements. Check was smooth, the King room was average, I still can't get over the stupid positioning of the TV and the bad design of the bathroom.
Lots of amenities which are appreciated. The hotel is quiet which is a good plus.
Breakfast was really disappointing, staff were not very attentive and the hot breakfast options were really awful, cold,bland and had obviously been sitting there for some time. Coffee was ok.
As someone who stays in these sorts of hotels frequently I just don't see the value,position or service being what I would expect. Won't be giving it a 3rd try.

Dear zosha72,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with feedback regarding your recent visit, I am however so sorry to read that you did not enjoy some of the elements of your stay.

I am also sad to read that you do not plan to return to the hotel. Should you have the occasion to stay again or will possibly reconsider please do not hesitate to contact me personally to look after your booking.

I hope to have the chance to welcome you back to the hotel again.

Woodend, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

We stay at ICH Melb. every few months. Being gold ambassador members we get an automatic room upgrade and all the other little extras. Twice we have been upgraded to club level. Once receiving club benefits and once without. This time we were upgraded to a club room without benefits. After querying this as the ambassador program had told me previously ( incorrectly it seems ) that we should be given the benefits the duty manager did agree as goodwill.
We did appreciate this but also I have to say that the room we were upgraded to was actually worse than some of the basic King rooms.
It was a bit disappointing. The shower was so small it was difficult to turn around in.The toilet was jammed between the shower and bath and a distinct lack of towel rails.
If we had not eventually received the club benefits the room upgrade was of no value.
Having said all that the club lounge and staff were lovely. Very friendly and helpful.
We both love the bars and tapas and the hotel has a great ambiance.
I only hope our future upgrades are of better value than our last one

Room Tip: If you can go club level
Dear ceecee018,
Thank you for providing feedback about your recent stay, I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay, in particular that you enjoyed the tapas you had.

As part of gold InterContinental Ambassador membership guests are upgraded one room category, so depending on what room type you booked you may have been upgraded to a Club room type or higher. This upgrade however is to a Club room and does not include Club InterContinental lounge access.
Should you wish to have Club InterContinental lounge access you would need to book a Club King room which would then see you upgraded to a Premium Club King room or above with Club InterContinental access.
I apologise that we have been inconsistent with this upgrade, perhaps the hotel was not busy on your other visit, or it was a special occasion? I will certainly ensure that this is more consistent in the future to avoid disappointment.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.
Brisvegas!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

This hotel has to be one of the best in Melbourne just based on it's location, but throw in a hotel design incorporating the history of Melbourne, well appointed rooms and a great concierge team means it is a must stay when in Melbourne.
It is a great spot to satay if you are active in the CBD, casino precinct or anywhere around the sporting stadiums and arenas area. It has very easy access from the airport (half hour or so by car)
The hotel itself is a fabulous space however there is no doubt the lack of natural light due to the design can be a little off putting but balanced against the heritage of the place and it's design features you feel as if you are ensconced in a relaxing cocoon a million miles from the hustle and bustle of the Melbourne CBD.
Room amenities are as you would expect from an IC hotel as is the size of the room and quality of the furnishings.
Staff in the restaurant are attentive, knowledgeable and friendly as is the concierge team and check in staff.
The breakfast offering is of a very high standard and due to the hotel design the the unique "side room" containing the breakfast buffet is in itself any interesting experience.
The one disappointment I did have was the quality of service and staff within the bar. We had a bad experience ordering drinks on the first night. Our group was large (24) and unfortunately after a very slow service (nearly 30 min) two of the drinks never arrived, upon questioning the whereabouts I was informed very bluntly that one was delivered to the table (it hadn't been) and the other was never ordered (it was in fact the first drink ordered).
We had actually booked out part of the bar the following night so was a little concerned about how this would go. On night two whilst the prearranged canapes (of great quality) were circulating efficiently drinks service remained pedestrian, on approaching the bar to try and order to speed up the process we were shunned back to our seat by the same difficult bar tender from the previous night. It meant a slow night with limited drinks, whilst I am really happy to return to this hotel I would arrange to visit one of the marvelous local bars in the area and give the IC's bar a big miss. It truly let down what was other wise a great expecience.

Room Tip: Higher floors miss the noise from the restaurant.
Dear thecrankytraveller
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your recent stay, It made me very happy to read that overall you had a fantastic experience.
I must also thank you for your constructive feedback regarding Market Lane Bar, please be assured that I shall investigate this service failure and I must also sincerely apologise, I hope that no inconvenience was caused and that your evening was not impacted.
Should you wish to provide me any additional information about your experience this evening, or during any part of your stay please don't hesitate to contact me.
I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again to the InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto.
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

A quick weekend in Melbourne Realto proved to be a great choice. The staff were very attentive and the room was all that was to be expected.
We were on the second floor with a room overlooking the street, very little noise permeated through to us even though we were not so far from the street.
The ambiance was warm and welcoming and the amenities were as expected from a ***** establishment.
The restaurant proved a little reserved and a touch expensive for what was provided.
Would I recommend this hotel??? Yes, all things considered it was a most relaxing well serviced staystay.

Room Tip: Not over the atrium unless you are on an upper level
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Aussie4741
Thank you for taking the time to share your review, I was certainly happy to read that you had a wonderfully relaxing stay.
We look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again soon.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

The rooms in this hotel are great, but they look out through balcony windows onto an atrium. Two problems: firstly it makes the hotel look like a prison, and secondly, as there's a restaurant in the atrium, the noise from people talking in the restaurant funnels up past all the rooms. Also, there are doorbells on the rooms and I could clearly hear them ringing in the neighbouring rooms. So...I fell asleep at 11.30pm after putting a pillow over my head to block out the noise from the restaurant, only to be woken up at 5.30am when next door's room service arrived. Would not rush back.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, October 26, 2011
Dear Caz134,
Thank you for taking the time to share with me the thoughts you had about your recent stay. I am sorry to read that you did not have an entirely pleasant stay and that you found the rooms too noisy. This was particularly upsetting for me as many guests often comment on the quality of sleep they experience while staying at the hotel.
InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto is a heritage listed site and is of significant historical value with one wing constructed in 1890 and one 1891. The hotel buildings have had quite a colourful history, although not ever a prison the hotel was once wool and wheat stores during prosperous times after the gold rush and in later years it was also used as an artists retreat.
If you do ever have the opportunity to return to the hotel please let me know so that I may personally look after your booking.
I hope to have the chance to welcome you back to the hotel again at another time.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

All Staff VERY well trained- genuinely acted pleased to see you and only too pleased to help.Everything worked & operated perfectly. Have stayed in 3 other 5* in Melb- easily the best.Very attractive building and great breakfast.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, October 21, 2011
Dear anthony m,
Thank you very much for your kind review. Your comments regarding the hotel team made me especially happy and please be assured I will share your feedback with them.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.
Joerg T. Boeckeler

Been to InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto? Share your experiences!