“A lovely hotel in a good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto

You added InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto to your Saves list
InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   495 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Members Exclusive:25% Off
Ranked #14 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“A lovely hotel in a good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

Great spacious rooms - and a nice renovation.

A good hotel for both business and pleasure.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
InterConMelb, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, June 9, 2011
Dear darlingnikki71,
Thank you very much for your kind review. We look forward to welcoming you back to the InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto.

Joerg T. Boeckeler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
Perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

I enjoyed this hotel. The staff and designers of this hotel have clearly thought carefully about fitout and organisation (for example, the rooms have wonderful charging stations so guests can easily charge all gadgets without having to hunt for empty powerpoints). Rooms have Bose docking stations. Breakfast was excellent and also different to many other 5 star breakfasts, with a very imaginative use of Australian bush ingredients. The only caveat is that the room I was originally in had virtually no natural light, which I found unpleasant. The location is fantastic for business - it is directly on Collins Street and trams pass frequently. Minibar selections also imaginative and delicious. Beds were excellent.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Dear WhiteChinaCat,
Thank you for taking the time to complete your review. It made me very happy to read that you had such an enjoyable time and I was particularly excited to read that you enjoyed the indigenous ingredients that we incorporate in our restaurant offerings.
We do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel another time.

Warrnambool, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

Have stayed in the hotel 3 times this year .... always felt very welcome .... attentive service and a good feel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Dear Macca98,
Thank you so much for your kind feedback about your recent stay. I am haoppy to hear you enjoyed yourself and look forward to welcoming you back another time.

Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

We had the most wonderful stay at this hotel with our two children and our best friends from interstate. I was a little nervous after reading a few negative reviews recently, but as far as I am concerned you would have to be extremely hard to please not to love The Intercontinental at Rialto. I had emailed the hotel regarding my friends birthday and on check in there was a lovely birthday card and cake delivered to her room.We also were given a complimentry room upgrade so we had more space with the children. This was was an absolute thrill for us as we have never had an upgrade at a hotel before. The staff were the most friendly I have come across and they could not do enough for us to make our stay memorable.Sometimes when staying in hotels with kid's you feel like a bit of an inconvenience to people but they were very welcoming with our children and we felt even though this hotel mainly seems to cater for business people and overseas travelers, we felt very comfortable here.
The building is beautiful and the rooms very modern and stylish. The rooms and bathroom were spotless.The beds were divine and the pillows the most comfortable I have ever slept upon. I loved the pillows so much I have since ordered some for my own bed! They must get asked about their pillows often as they printed off the details of where to purchase them for me straight away. The kids loved the pool and although it is smaller than the photo's suggest, it is sparkeling clean. The breakfast was lovely with a huge range and very fresh. It is served in the beautiful atrium and the service was excellent. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone and will definately return in the future. Thankyou Intercontinental for the most wonderful stay!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Dear naviti94,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am so glad to hear that you, your friends and children had such a wonderful time. Indeed we are asked often about our pillows, they seem to be very popular along with our comfortable and luxurious bedding. We look forward to welcoming you back to the InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto again soon.

Perth
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

I was in Melbourne on business with my partner and booked three nights at one of my favourite hotels the Intercontinental at Rialto. Always enjoy staying at the Melbourne or Sydney Intercontinental (although apart from the suites Sydney room sizes are almost ludicrous although more than countered by the stunning Club on the top floor) - not so much Burswood, which I do not consider to be in the same league as the former duo.

In Melbourne I've stayed in the Courtyard suite, King suite and Club King rooms and I'm a member of both Priority Privilege and Priority Club. I had told my partner about my previous stays and how much I enjoy staying at the Melbourne IC and the great architecture of the hotel. She was really looking forward to staying at the hotel.

We arrived after our fiight from Perth and went to check in - all three desks taken so waited until there was one free. One desk became vacant and I began to approach when I was told to wait in line (what line?) there was just a group of three people seemingly milling around chatting - no hint they were also checking in let alone aligned. A unusually terse but not a big problem.

Anyway got our room a King Club as usual very nice and spacious. Getting ready to have dinner in town and partner noticed there were no bath robes. Called room service and told them - they said they would immediately bring two to the room. Half hour later rang again same thing. Waited again then decided to forgo the bathrobes and just shower and head out.

Got back to the room went to bed. Woke up in the night and noticed an appalling mouldy stench, which while half asleep couldn't work out the source. Next morning I realised the stench came from the pillows I was sleeping on. When the cleaner came to make up the room I asked her to smell the pillows and she instantly agreed the pillows smelled. She replaced the pillows with fresh pillows. I didn't want to think about how the pillows came to smell so bad. Coincidently the last time I had mouldy pillows was in a river suite at IC Burswood in Perth (and I stay in mining camps across the WA Goldfields and I'm yet to experience smelly pillows in the dongas I stay in).

Second night, which was a Saturday, we returned from having dinner in Fitzroy with friends - and went to have a quiet cocktail at the bar...only to be told bluntly that the bar was shut and there were no cocktails to be had. What? 11 pm Saturday night in Melbourne and the cocktail bar was shut.

The rest of our stay was uneventful and we enjoyed the Club facilities, which was the highlight of our stay. The staff in the Club - always very attentive and very pleasant, one of the reasons I like the IC brand and that's why it was so disappointing with what had happened so far - and what was about to happen.

On the last day we went to the desk to check out and I was given the bill to inspect. I noticed I had been charged for a movie, which I hadn't watched. Pointed it out to the desk clerk, but she wouldn't accept that I hadn't watched the extra movie (I had watched one movie but that twas the freebie for being a Priority Club member). I kept stating that I hadn't watched the movie, which incidently was the same movie as the free movie I had watched the day before. She kept stating that I had. I pointed out to her why would I watch a movie for free and then pay to watch the same movie a day later? It had no impact on her attitude and she continued to assert that we had watched the same movie twice.

Finally after about ten minutes of going back through the logs checking computers etc at my insistence the clerk accepted there had been a mistake and I had been charged for a movie due to a possible electrical surge that did something or other to the database. Great we got that cleared up.

I then checked the rest of the bill and noticed there had been an extra cheeseburger meal added to the bill, which I had allegedly eaten the night before. I told the clerk I hadn't had a cheeseburger last night and that we had eaten with friends in Fitzroy. No you did and it's here on the computer. No I didn't... anyway ten minutes later after being very adamant and again insistent that she conduct a little research she went to the office and cross checked the receipt from the night before last and noticed that the item had been recorded automatically on the database before midnight and then recorded manually by a staff member the morning after. Phew. I'll admit the clerk was very apologetic and she even carried my bag to the taxi. But customer service was marginally above zero and really something I could have done without.

The experience has resulted in my choosing another hotel for my forthcoming Melbourne stay and I'm also reviewing my ongoing membership of the IC hotel loyalty schemes.

All in all disppointing to say the least.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Dear dingo801,
Thank you for taking the time to complete such a thorough review, it certainly was an interesting read for me. I was very concerned to read about your interactions with our staff upon your checkout and I sincerely apologise for this.
I see from your review that you stayed in March 2011, coincidently that was my second month in my role at this hotel. We are very focused on guest services and guest satisfaction and the next time you will be travelling to Melbourne please do get in touch with me as I think you would be a good sounding board to see the changes that have been made at the hotel and how things have improved. I would really like to hear from you Joerg.boeckeler@ihg.com

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011 via mobile

Gaming stayed here since the IC openend it had improved greatly!!Well done to all staff and to the Club Floor staff..friendly, generous, kind! And to Keishor who takes care of all things.. Brilliant!! A great Hotel. 5 stars!!!

• Stayed May 2011
Dear cairnstravel,
I am so glad to hear that you have such positive experiences with the hotel and that you took the time to share them with me. Kishor certainly is an asset to the hotel and helps to make the Club Lounge such a special place for our guests.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

melbourne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

When is a bargain not a bargain - when youy pay $300 bucks for a room smaller than my bathroom at home. In 30 years of business and personal travel, not sure Ive stayed in a smaller room. Dont mind if you advertise as the s"smallest room we have" ... but when you dont - I think thats a little dodgy....So BEWARE the "WEEKEND SPECIAL" because the "stylish room" is far from that. The Hyatt and other 5 stars advertise on wotif and dont play those games...so at least be honest with your advertsiing Intercontinental.!! As for the rest of the hotel, well that just took the shine of everything else.

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear cadooo,
I was very sad to learn about your dissatisfaction relating to your wotif booking and the room allocated to you at the hotel. I have just visited wotif.com to familiarise myself with the room description used on there and although I do not find this to be misleading at all I have passed your comments on to the marketing team in order for them to review this.

Please do contact me at Joerg.boeckeler@ihg.com so that I may learn more about your booking and try and help find a resolution to your dissatisfaction in this instance.

Joerg T. Boeckeler

Been to InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto? Share your experiences!