“Luxury in heritage buildings at New York end of Collins Street” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto to your Saves list
InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   495 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
IHG Special up to 25% Off
Ranked #10 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Luxury in heritage buildings at New York end of Collins Street”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

Located at the western (New York) end of Collins Street, in the banking/legal precincts, the Intercontinental at Rialto Melbourne is situated in 2 heritage listed buildings, the Rialto and the Winfield, built in the gothic style in 1891, when Melbourne was one of the wealthiest cities in the world from glod and wool exports. It is next to the twin Rialto Towers; the southern tower, with 55 levels, was the tallest building in Melbourne, until the Eureka on Southbank.
Its proximity to the coach terminal at Southern Cross station (Spencer St) means that we were the first to be dropped off from the hotel transfer shuttle, adn the last to be picked up on the return trip. On arrival, we were let off at the front door, which the concierge stated was unusual; guests are usually let off at Flinders Lane at the rear. On arrival, we we greeted by the bell man, who asked for the name and promptly transferred the bags to the room prior to check-in.
Check-in was handled promptly and efficiently; the first night was already pre-paid, and I was surprised at the practice of holding additional funds against the imprinted credit card in case further expenses were incurred. On arrival in the room, which was spacious (46 sq metres) and clean, there were no slippers and one bathrobe; this was quickly rectified by the one touch service button in brown on the phone. The desk was not in the way, near the bathroom wall, allowing plentiful space for the king bed.
Breakfast was included in the package I chose; the variety was good; the duty chef can cook eggs in any style requested by the guest.
The staff attended to our every need, with turn down service in the evening, choice of daily newspaper (I chose The Age), water and fruit, as well as choice of pillows and quilts.
An useful method of keeping track of expenses was messages available on the TV, which included updated invoicing.
A small gripe about the internet access. Despite the provision of an ethernet cable, which was also connected to the phone, the internet connection was wireless. As I stayed for 6 nights, I took the 5 day plan, which worked out at A$20 a day. The shorter term plans are expensive, and only are to be used if your stay is shorter, and there was no alternative.
The location is great, with tram stops and taxi ranks outside the door; also Spencer Street rail station is a 7 minute walk away. The best location of the 3 Priority Club Hotels in the Melbourne CBD, with Holiday Inn a block away in Flinders Lane, and Crowne Plaza another block away in Queenbridge road near the Melbourne Convention Centre.
There was the bonus of Iron Chef Guy Grossi's Merchant restaurant on the premises, serving Venetian food, whcih we dined at once; as another writer has commented, as the business is separate to the hotel, the bill cannot be charged to your room.
So in summary, if you have a quick trip, like a business trip, or for a family occasion, you can stay in a lesser hotel, but for a longer holiday, I recommend staying in a 5-star hotel like this in this quieter end of town.
On this trip, we dined at vue de monde (due to move the the 55th floor of the Rialto South Tower next door), and caught the Tutankhamun and "Dreams come true" (Disney animations) exhibitions.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, May 6, 2011
Dear skc97,

Wow! What a glowing and comprehensive review. I would like to say thank you on behalf of InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Joerg T, Boeckeler

1,090 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
Gold Coast
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

I booked two nights at the Intercontinental Rialto for myself and my girlfriend, I also booked one night for my girlfriends parents as a 60th Birthday present, as a Gold member of the IHG priority club i should and have expected better... this is a lesson for others, i pre paid my accomodation before arrival, upon check in the hotel insisted i pay a deposit of either $500 cash per room or they would debit my credit card $500 for both rooms as a deposit, Now due to past experiences i have set up a debit visa card for when i travel and only transfer enough money onto it to cover the accomodation meaning i minimise the chance of credit card fraud, I told the hotel this and insisted that i would pay any other costs incurred upon check out by eftpos and that i was a Gold card holder for the Priority club, they told me they didnt care and that it was their policy to take these type of deposits, i informed them i have stayed at many intercontinental and Holiday Inn hotels around the world and have never been asked for this before, they insisted i pay before they would hand over my keys to the rooms i had booked, NOW the exact reason why i dont like doing this, i allowed the deposit to be taken on my Visa card it took a week and numerous calls between the Intercontinental Rialto and my bank to have $687 released back into my account and they also charged one night accomodation to the card even though i had already payed before arrival,this is unacceptable, then today 22nd of April 2011 approx 6 weeks after our stay i check my Visa account and there is a debit taken from my card for $15.00 upon calling the Intercontinental in melbourne i was informed the debit was for the mini bar even though upon check out i advised what was used and paid all charges in full, in these times it is easy for small amounts to be debited from numerous cards and they go unnoticed, i find this unethical and fraudulant, Even though the accomodation was excellent, the Restaurant produced great food and service I will never stay at that particular hotel again, I must say i have never had a problem with any of the Holiday Inn hotels i have stayed in previously and always had good service and nice clean rooms, The Intercontinental in Wellington NZ is exceptional...

Room Tip: Be wary
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Seawolfau,

Thank you for your feedback and review. Please be assured that we do sincerely appreciate your loyalty to our hotels and value the fact that you are a Gold Priority Club member. This makes it particularly sad that you do not wish to stay at our hotel again.
If you do wish to discuss this matter further or would like to give me the opportunity to investigate this occurrence further please do feel free to contact me directly at
joerg.boeckeler@ihg.com

Glasgow, Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

I stayed at the InterContinental in Melbourne for 4 nights recently. The room itself was nice (although the a/c didn't seem to work so just as well it was not summer!) and the shower and the bed were all excellent.

Very limited selection of TV channels so just as well Melbourne has a lot to offer and you don't need to spend much time in the room.

Internet access is EXPENSIVE and even as an Ambassador member you don't get this for free. The policy on that varies around the world which doesn't really make the Ambassador card live up to the line "how the well travelled travel"!

Anyway, along with a few of the other reviews on here the check in staff leave a bit to be desired in terms of customer service. I had prepaid (they had my money) and they hounded me for the voucher they needed.

I had only got to the room when there was a call asking for it. A note under the door. Even at check out, although I had provided the voucher by email they made me fill out the details (which was on the email). Now they were perfectly within their rights to do all of this but how petty can you get making the guest actually write the details on the voucher when they already had it? It is not like the rate I pad was so cheap!

So my lasting impression of this hotel was the petty attitude at check out rather than a can do helpful approach.

In terms of the room (other than the poor a/c in the room I was in) you will not go too far wrong with this place as long as you don't have them hounding your voucher!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Dear Frequent Traveller from Scotland,
It made me so sad to read your review, especially since it comes from an Ambassador member, one of our most valuable guests.
I do apologise that we didn't perform to your expectations on this occasion and that you rated our service as being poor. We take your comments on board and will work to focus on improving.
Should we ever have the opportunity to welcome you back to Melbourne i can assure you we would go out of our way to make sure your stay is an enjoyable one. I do hope that we have this chance again.

Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

I can only comment on the executive lounge, room and staff the rest of the hotel I did not experience. If you arrive at the front of the hotel in a taxi or car etc, you are greeted by very accommodating and efficient staff who will cater for your needs. My wife and I arrived by our own car. We made use of valet parking. Check in was smooth and efficient.
As an Ambassador member were given access to the executive lounge and were given a room upgrade. We were upgraded to a suite (suite 601). The suite is a very different affair with 2 x fight of steps up to the bedroom and 2 x flight of steps down to the bathroom area from the bedroom. 1 x flight of steps up and then down to the bathroom area from the lounge. As some other reviewer has found out they can be dangerous if you are not careful, especially at night when you are half asleep and wish to use the bathroom. The suite lounge is uncomfortable, with (pub style) bench seating instead of decent lounge seating - not a good place to relax in. The TV is good with a DVD player. Only problem here is there are no instructions of how to switch from TV to DVD player. I tried every combination and still did not get the thing to work. The bed is a 'king' with good pillows. A little on the firm side, but not too firm/uncomfortable so as to disturb your sleep. The bathroom once you traverse the 'steps' is well fitted out with everything that you would need. But do not think that you have done with the steps once you have got there. There are more, small steps in the bathroom to get to the toilet and shower. Being at the front of the hotel noise from the street can be an issue.
The executive lounge is on the 4th floor at the front of the hotel. The staff here are terrific and are good at what they do. Major problems here are the seating options, the food and decoration. The seats are appalling and not designed for a relaxing prolonged stay or for eating from. the food is megre to say the least. What they offer is a disgrace. The afternoon offerings are cheeses and antipasto type items. Evening consists of the afternoon offerings and canapies (which is brought to your table). That consists of 1 x chicken satay stick (stolen from Malaysian Airlines???) and a small dish of olives. Tough if you do not like satay or olives. A mean and disgraceful offering. Breakfast is taken in the lounge. the offerings here are ok and is satisfying. Due to the terrible seating/tables in the lounge, we ate our breakfast in the conference room. A much better option for sure. The general decor is 'Dark Brown'. Great if you like dark places. The whole room needs an upgrade, especially the seating and the tables.
Overall the hotel has the quality to satisfy most, but the option of paying the difference for the 'Lounge' and 'Suite' experience is definately not. The staff are terrific and are without doubt are the hotels best asset.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, April 20, 2011
Dear Ausman57,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a thorough review of the InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto.
Our two turret suites are very unique as they are located within the two turrets on the Collins Street building facades. InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto is located on a heritage listed site and the suite you were located in is therefore of historical value with many unique features including stairs.
As a Royal Ambassador it is of the upmost importance to us that your stay is in a suite that satisfies your needs. Therefore upon your next stay please don’t hesitate to let us know if we can relocate you to a suite better suited to your requirements.
I would also like to thank you for your valuable feedback regarding our Club InterContinental Lounge, please be assured that we will take your comments on board and work to enhance our product offering in this area.
Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

Me and my partner stayed here only one night. We were looking for a weekend away from the world, somewhere relaxing comfortable and affordable. and that's exactly what we got with this beautiful hotel. The staff were very gracious and generous, and were willing to help in anyway. The room was very spacious and the bed was extremely comfortable. The shower was very nice and so were the toiletries.
The buffet breakfast was amazing. Had different foods and fruit and juices that I have never tried and it was a nice experience trying new things so close to home.
I definatly recommend this hotel for couples (not really a place for children) who wish to have a weekend away in luxury comfort and quiet.

Room Tip: If you want a big bed - king delux
Dear Jdiggy3,
Thank you so much for your feedback and kind words. I am so glad that we were able to provide you with a relaxing oasis in Melbourne and a place for an indulgent getaway.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto for your next special occasion.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

fantastic hotel doorman welcomes you just like he should, bags arrived to the room before i even checked in - Fantastic

Staff do care about you which is good - i am not ambassador member - still VIP experiance given

Toilets - drain problems maybe as building converted to the hotel - but rooms very clean

Restaurant fantastic same as location - hotel expensive overall

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, April 19, 2011
Dear ILMNB,

Thank you for being so kind as to post your review. We are so glad that you enjoyed the fantastic service that we pride ourselves on delivering to all of our guests.
We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto again soon.

Dunfermline, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

Stayed for seven nights and whilst comfortable, it never set the heather on fire.
Lovely spacious room and the Bose sound system was excellent. Bed not as comfortable as others thought but this is a personal thing.
Toiletries excellent quality (Elemis) and shower good.
Internetaccess very expensive!

Room Tip: Buy some chocolates from the shop next door
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, responded to this review, April 13, 2011
Dear Brigham,

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review. I am so sorry that you feel that the hotel was pretentious. We strive to be an authentic and yet sophisticated hotel and to also deliver that to our guests through our service. I would be interested to learn from your experience and would like to invite you to contact me personally at joerg.boeckeler@ihg.com so that I may understand more about your experience and what you feel was pretentious. We are very open to learning and developing as a hotel and a team and i look forward to hearing from you on this matter. I am however so glad that you enjoyed the Bose docking station, Elemis products and our fantastic rain fall showers.

Kind Regards,

Joerg T. Boeckeler

Been to InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto? Share your experiences!