“Cheap but still not really worth it” 2 of 5 stars
Review of ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel

Save Saved
You added ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel to your Saves list
ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   131 King Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Formerly All Seasons Kingsgate Hotel)   |
Ranked #134 of 172 hotels in Melbourne
Leeton, New South Wales, Australia
“Cheap but still not really worth it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We booked the Kingsgate due to the fact that there weren't many cheaper hotels available for 4 people at late notice. There was mould in the bathroom, the beds were uncomfortable and the pillows so lumpy it felt they had not been changed in years. Another negative was the constant noise all night. We could always hear other peoples heaters, talking and we could even hear the gas and water moving through pipes in our room! It was clearly outdated and old and needs a fair bit of work. The facilities in room we lacking, with only a fridge tv and kettle, no microwave and only a shallow bathroom sink to work with.
For the positives, the service is very good as it is with all Accor hotels. The parking is a short walk away although at only $25 per exit we were able to stay the full 3 days for just one very low price for Melbourne parking. We never needed to use our own room heaters as the room kept the heat quite well from the corridor.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

812 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I found this hotel on hotels combined and the price was great. We arrived at the hotel at about 8am and was greeted by two friendly staff members, the staff allowed us early check in and also upgraded our room. I found the hotel to be nice and clean and in a fantastic location. There was only a few issues we had (shower head not attached very well, no bin in the bathroom and the gap underneath the door allowed cold air in) which did bother us at all.
All in all I think the hotel was great, food was pretty good and the staff were so friendly and always helped us out when they could. I would stay at the Kingsgate Hotel again.

Room Tip: The rooms to the back of the hotels are quiet as they are not near the main road.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Christchurch, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Good budget hotel in the heart of the city. Was a bit noisy outside as it seemed to have city work in progress. Basic room but ok for short stay.Good french restaurant attached with special in house 2 course deal for AUST$35

Room Tip: Away from street
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
GMKingsgate, Manager at ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Jagman100_11,

I am pleased to read that our hotel suited your needs and that you were able to take advantage of the great deal we have with the Bergerac Restaurant. We hope you welcome you back to our hotel in the not too distant future.

Vacoas, Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Room is not fancy but for the price we paid,was ok.we had a little issue with the wc and were pleased to be moved quickly to a better room.customer service was top lvl.decent size breakfast even without breskfast option.overall I would recommend.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Nil D,

Thank you for choosing ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel for your recent visit to Melbourne. I am pleased to read that we were able to rectify the issue you encountered and your comments about our staff as we are always striving to offer the best possible level of service.

Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I look at a lot of these reviews and wonder what these people expected when they picked ibis. I stayed here because I wasn't going to be in my room a lot.
The room is reasonably quiet (if you are use to the city) it was defiantly clean (good work hsk) and the front desk staff were great! Breakfast wasn't a grand affair, but it tasted fine and served it's purpose.
Truth is, if you want the luxurious hotel experience, Accor can offer a range of high end properties, and Melbourne have some incredible properties. but you will be paying ALOT more for them.
I use to work for Accor so I'm their worst critique, I know when they aren't getting it right and somebody isn't doing their job. Accor have invested their excellent training in their staff at this property. Pick this property if you want a cheap, secure, friendly location, close to shopping and transport. If you want the best hotel in town, well go pay a fortune on the yarra river. I can promise you, there are plenty of other properties at a similar or smaller price who don't have an international reputation to protect and will not look after you as well.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear crystalnoirh,

Thank you for your providing your feedback, it is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

the gamble. the place is hit or miss 5 of us shared two rooms for a 21st weekend 1 room was clean modern with what you expected for the price, the other was old & run down, resembling a crack den, smelt like cigarettes and sewerage

Room Tip: get an upgrade
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear camo_36,

Thank you for choosing ibis Styles Kingsgate Melbourne and for taking the time to offer your feedback, it is greatly appreciated. It is our normal practice that if guests are travelling together both rooms receive a complimentary upgrade, please accept my sincerest apologies that this did not happen on this occasion. Please be assured the issues you have raised have been addressed with the relevant departments.

Wellington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I only stayed a couple of night following a business trip so chose the Kingsgate based on it being around the corner from where I was staying for work – its very convenient to Southern Cross station, but a bit of a hike to the main shopping precinct where David Jones and Myers etc are based – maybe 10-15 minutes walk?

The surrounding streets feel a bit deserted at night but the area is safe, one thing to keep in mind is that the photos of the rooms on their website aren’t necessarily what you will get when you turn up! I found my room quite small, and like other guests noted a very old bathroom, furnishings which were quite dated and only one power point available – its obviously an older hotel, and efforts have been made in the public areas, but the room was out of a time warp.
I liked the public areas, all wood panelling but with all the modern comforts. I liked the service, the people at reception were very friendly and accommodating, but the sleep quality was pretty poor as the fire stop doors slam and the walls are so thin that you could hear conversations in other rooms – I was glad to have my earplugs!

Being a smoker I appreciated the fact that there was a smokers balcony on the first floor, and as mentioned the staff were really nice, but unfortunately those thin walls and dated rooms would put me off staying any length of time again – Ibis does have better options for sleep quality than the Kingsgate.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Dear KiwiKong,

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay at the ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel, Please accept my sincerest apologies that the room was not to your expectations. We do offer a variety of room types which may better suit your needs. On your next visit with us please see reception and if available we would like to offer you a complimentary upgrade to one of our recently refurbished rooms.

Kind Regards,

ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel

Been to ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel? Share your experiences!