“Missed the train to the 21st century” 2 of 5 stars
Review of ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel

You added ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel to your Saves list
ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   131 King Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Formerly All Seasons Kingsgate Hotel)   |
Ranked #130 of 172 Hotels in Melbourne
“Missed the train to the 21st century”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

Let me start with the positives. The location is absolutely great. A good start for any trip into the city. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

This being said, the room was not what you would expect from a hotel. Very small, no space to put your suitcase and a bed that I had to sleep diagonally in because it was too small (and I'm not a tall guy). The bathroom was very basic, but clean. Frankly, if this would have been a room in a hostel, at hostel prices, I would have been fine with it. But not at the price they are charging for it.

In addition, I hate it when hotels charge you for wifi. But being charged $5/30 minutes for internet that takes 5 minutes to load any random news-site is just unbelievable in this day and age.

It's a beautiful old building that, with some investments, could be turned into a beautiful hotel, but this one completely missed the train to the 21st century.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
GMKingsgate, General Manager at ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear JaVerhoeven,

Thank you for providing feedback on your experience. I am glad you enjoyed the staff and took advantage of our fantastic location! We have several room types with various bedding on offer from single beds up to King size, a room change is usually available depending on occupancy levels, if the room booked does not meet your needs. As a mention we have several options for WIFI and internet access to try and meet everyone's needs ranging from complimentary options with limited speed and download, through to several paid options provided by a reputable third party.

ibis Styles Kingsgate Melbourne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Burnie, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

What hotel room these days does not have individual bed lights ? answer this one makes it difficult when sharing a room with two other people and they want to sleep and you want to read.

Noisy on a Saturday night.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Helen M,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. As a mention we do have bed side lamps available on request at this stage and are looking to have them in place throughout the hotel in 2014.

Thank you again.

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Before I start, I want to make it clear that I have tried my hardest not to sound like a whingey stuck up lady. It's been hard, but hopefully this gives you an idea of what you're in for!!! Also, to be clear, I choose this hotel as a last minute decision to fly down to Melbourne for a show at Etihad Stadium. It was close by, was an ibis brand and had a nice website. What could go wrong?

Well for a start, first impressions weren't much to go on. Hopped out of the taxi and somehow only just maganed to make it up the steps to check in with a heavy suitcase. Although I have since learnt this is because of a heritage building, so I'll let it slide.

Eventually got to the lobby, found a family waiting around. They had checked in but was told the room wasn't ready. I would've totally understood this if it was like 11am in the morning, but it was after 2pm, and clearly past the specified check in time. I got into line, was only the second person but it seemed to take at least twenty minutes. Lady started to check me in, confirming my details and then suddenly pulled out her phone and made a call to housekeeping. 5 minutes later when she eventually got off the phone, she asked her colleague if she wouldn't mind finishing my check in!! Now this lady tapped something into her computer and says "A room for Kirsty?" NO. MY NAME IS ROSE. Skip forward another 5 minutes and I finally have my key card!!!! Oh, and the family waiting for the room still hadn't moved. I walked further down the lobby and was overcome by a damp smell. Waited for the lift up to level 5, they were slow, old, small and smelt different.

Opened the door to my room, and almost burst into tears. Not what I was expecting from an ibis hotel at all. Was extremely small, had a weird looking heater/cooling system thing. The bed was alright and comfortable. Yay things were starting to look up. I was shocked to see there was no minibar, or infact room service. There was nowhere to put my suitcase (most hotels have a shelf/stand) so that ended up on the floor.

Walked into the bathroom, which was this open plan kind of....thing. First thing that grabbed my attention, the weird funky smell it has emitting from it. The next....the toilet! Yes that delightful object. I'm sorry, maybe this is a normal thing now, and maybe I am the only one in Australia who does not have this, but what kind of purpose does a toilet serve without a lid??? It is actually the most unhygienic thing I have ever seen. Moving on to the sink, it had no vanity, so nowhere to really out my toiletries, do my hair and makeup etc. the shower was ok, good water pressure, had no door or curtain or anything so it made it interesting.

I wish I knew how to include photos (I am on my iPad) to show you how spectacular my view was. I mean come on, most hotels have a view of something...a car park with a nice garden would've even been nicer. To see the outside world, I had to strain my neck out the broken window (more on that soon) and that is something I would not want to do on the 5th floor if I was afraid of heights. My view was of the fire stairs and the ground below. When I say view, it was a 5cm gap that I was able to look through.

The window. I didn't take much notice of it when I first arrived because of the shock I was in. I practically dumped all my stuff and then went and calmed my self down with some retail therapy. After seeing Taylor Swift at Etihad Stadium, I arrived back at the hotel at around 11:30pm. It was then I realised I had left my window open. That's ok, no big deal. I'll just close it.....20 minutes later, various swear words and the window is still open. That's ok, I wanted a broken window in my room anyway. Especially when there is a nightclub next door that was just started to get into full swing, and when I say that I mean loud music and louder people. This wouldn't have been so bad IF I COULD HAVE CLOSED THE DAMN WINDOW.

I eventually got to sleep at 2am, only to be woke at 4am to I have no idea what it was. It might have been the noisy lifts that my room was also right next to, or hey maybe the electrical switchroom, but whatever it was, it was loud enough to keep me awake. Considering the time, I wasn't about to go and investigate. Fell back asleep and woke up to my alarm at 7:30 to give me enough time to shower, pack, and maybe go downstairs and try out the buffet breakfast that was included with my room.

Luckily I had packed my own gluten free bread. Most hotels seem to supply this nowadays but I normally pack some just in case. I walked into the restaurant expecting to see a nice selection (my last stay at ibis had a great range) but all that was out was tea, coffee, a few different cereals, yoghurt and some fruit. Oh and some bread for toasting. There were no staff, no one to check who you were, so hey I could've easily been a random off the street scoring a free breakfast!!!

The best thing about my stay was checkout. Handed my card over, and the lady told me to have a good day.

I'm sorry this was so long and sounded like a narrative, but I would like others to be aware of this hotel. I tried my hardest not to let it spoil my weekend in Melbourne, and my night at taylor swift, and you know what, it hasn't. If you've got this far and are still reading, well done.

Ps. I paid $184 for the night. Breakfast included. Double bed. Hmmmm

To sum up:
The good - comfortable bed, and close to southern cross station, which is exactly what I needed.
The bad - read the previous 5000 characters and find out!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
GMKingsgate, General Manager at ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear Rosey-Rose123,

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback on your stay here at the hotel on the weekend. I am sorry to hear we let you down in several areas. There were some delays on the weekend and for this I do apologise as it should not happen, I believe we have now addressed the concerns.

The room that you received was one of the few in the hotel that are classified as special access for patrons that have disabilities, and this is why the bathroom seemed to be lacking features that are normally standard. We will happily arrange a room move for guests if this presents a concern once advised.

As mentioned in our other correspondence I am happy to arrange an upgrade for a future stay in one of our other types of room.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the concert and your trip to Melbourne!

sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

we stayed there in dec 2013 in a triple room.Hotel is in a great great location ,just a short walk to the numer 35 free city tram and about a 15min walk to bourke st shopping.Free internet in the lobby which is very good.For a very large and nice chicken parma wth a glass of wine for only $15 you cant pass the cafe/bar on level 1 .The only down was the room was not made up and had to ask for fresh towels but the was little.A great hotel for a short stay in melbourne.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear leanne r,

We do appreciate your comments on fabulous location, and are glad to see you found value in our offerings! We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

Wasn't at all impressed with this place. An Ibis "Styles"?? very dated, Though my window was closed, the cold still came in even though the heater was on and that made loud noise during the night. Just outside my room was a very smelly and old public toilet which, in a hotel that has bathrooms in the rooms is not necessary to have. I found Reception to be very bored and un motivated. Corridors resembled an old nursing home. Seriously a refurb is in order. I don't understand with Accor why on earth an Ibis (being the most simple and budget of accommodation in their whole chain) you would have to pay over $100 a night? Not right is it?

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Owen M,

Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay. My apologies that we fell short of your expectations. Rest assured we review our rates on a regular basis to ensure that we are priced appropriately for our location and the services offered. Rates can often be influenced by an increase in demand for accommodation as a result of the many events Melbourne regularly hosts.

We wish you a pleasant stay on your next trip, where ever that may be!

ibis Styles Kingsgate Melbourne

Been to ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel? Share your experiences!