“good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel

You added ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel to your Saves list
ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   131 King Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Formerly All Seasons Kingsgate Hotel)   |
Ranked #133 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Tianjin, China
“good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

we arrived seperately and got 2 keys. room is okay. air condition is too old and cold in room, not so friend in rep. the loacatin is very good not far from central near by souther cross station. 10 min walk to China town

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
geelong
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

The value was excellent and included a continental breakfast. The room was clean, but clearly an older room, and certainly not luxurious, but I guess what you would expect for the price. Although I have stayed at other establishments in Melbourne for the same price and found the rooms better. There was some noise form an adjoining room which was a disturbance during the night. Overall though, I was pleased with my stay, and would consider staying there again. The proximity to Southern Cross station is a bonus.
One major negative- we upgraded to the full buffet breakfast as a treat, but it was clearly not a buffet as we were led to believe. Rather a plate of bacon and eggs cooked in the kitchen- far from a buffet spread. I felt the breakfast area was short staffed. Also disappointing that the breakfast did not include a cup of barista made coffee- these had to be purchased.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Room was very basic, dark, with no window. Bed was uncomfortable, but the shower /toilet were clean. Didn't think much of this hotel, I wasn't expecting luxury for $180 per night, but didn't think we had value for money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
KingsgateHM, General Manager at ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear traveller,
We’re sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your recent stay at the All Seasons Kingsgate Hotel. We hope that your feedback can help us to improve our hotel services.

I apologise that you found our hotel rooms too basic. Our hotel encompasses a range of different room types and if availability allows we are happy to discuss the option of a room move with you so that we can find a bigger room which is more to your liking. When there are sports and music events in Melbourne the demand for rooms across Melbourne grows and rates become higher, please know that our rates are not always at the $180 mark.

Thank you for the feedback and I hope that if we do welcome you back to our hotel that we are able to provide a more enjoyable stay.
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I had fairly low expectations of this hotel for the price I was paying, and found my stay above expectations. The room was warm and clean, bed comfortable and shower/toilet fine. While the room could have been cleaned a bit better (there was toilet paper covering the smoke detector and airline luggage tags stuck to a column in the middle of the wall), it was quite (I was in the back part of the hotel)

Breakfast was included and fine, with a nice basic selection, I found the staff at checkin to be courteous, efficient and helpful, with prompt service when leaving a bag as well as picking it up. The hotel is very handy to public transport including the skybus. I stayed mid week and was very happy overall.

Room Tip: Book online at the hotels website for free breakfast.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Our stay was ok, staff (reception) weren't very friendly and helpful, Max who worked in restaurant (level 1) was great!. This type of accomodation i would classify as no frills, for example no biscuits with tea & coffee, no mini bar ( which is probably good anyway), no inhouse movies which would've been nice. Also there was no directory on phone to ring reception (Room 435). The room was slightly dusty, also location of room was loud ie banging of doors, humming of an A/C i think, it doesn't make for a good night's sleep!. We could hear outside noises (we might've been next to a laneway of some sort, noisy especially on the weekend! Continental breakfast could've included pastries just to add some variety but was ok.
I have to say Shampoo smells horrible ( cheap dishwashing liquid smell! ).Location was OK. Overall personally i wouldn't pay anymore than the rate we paid.

Yours sincerely
Fabrice Gautier

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Fabrice,
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the All Seasons Kingsgate Hotel. We’re disappointed to hear that there were parts of your stay that left you unhappy.

We are a three star hotel and we aim to provide the essential services and amenities our guests need and we’re sorry if you felt this was a bit basic for you. I apologise for any problems that you had with our reception staff; we employ friendly, diligent and helpful people but there are some occasions when the hotel is busy where service can be slow and below average. This doesn’t happen often and I’m very sorry. I also apologise for the noise issues you had; we are working at ways to reduce both the external and internal noise at the hotel that can disturb our guests in the evenings.

I appreciate you sharing your concerns, and I hope that you will give the All Seasons Kingsgate Hotel the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Best thing about this hotel was walking out the door. Room was revolting, no shower pressure (my pet hate). Noise from street relentless. Done a bit of plastering in my time and was pretty sure a dodgy repair job on what appeared to be bullet holes. Bed rock hard and i could hear the dude next door clipping his toe nails. Look if your on a tight tight budget for 1 night maybe ok but bring a Valium (maybe 4) and some ear plugs.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
KingsgateHM, General Manager at ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear traveller,

I’m sorry to hear that you thought your room wasn’t up to standard. Our refurbishment of 2010 has tried to retain the elegance of the 1926 building while also modernising our rooms. To ensure you have the most up to date room type I would recommend booking one of our Superior rooms or asking reception whether a room change is available. I apologise for the holes that were plastered in your room and I can assure you they were not bullet holes.

I also apologise for the extra noise from within the hotel and outside of the building. We do our best to keep hotel noise to a minimum but appreciate that this can sometimes affect guests’ stays.

Thanks again for the feedback and I hope that if we do welcome you back to our hotel that we are able to provide a more enjoyable stay.
All Seasons Kingsgate General Manager

Been to ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel? Share your experiences!