“Affordable, comfortable, and centrally located.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel

Save Saved
You added ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel to your Saves list
ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   131 King Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Formerly All Seasons Kingsgate Hotel)   |
Ranked #132 of 170 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Affordable, comfortable, and centrally located.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Some friends and I stayed at this hotel for a couple of days and on the whole, I was pleased with it.

The hotel is located minutes from Southern Cross Station which us Melbourne’s major train station. I am assuming it is also the major bus station as well, but I do not know enough about Melbourne’s layout to say for sure. The hotel is also within walking distance from a number of tram stops which is most useful as trams are the major form of transport in Melbourne. Payment for tram usage is done using a MyKi Card (a pre-paid travel card) which can be purchased from Southern Cross Station for AUD$6.50 per adult which is a reasonable price. These cards can be topped up all over Melbourne at tram stations, petrol stations and convenience stores, but I digress.

As you walk up to your room after checking in, the first thing you will notice will be the colour scheme of the hotel. The walls are white, the door frames are black, and all the doors are bright green. I’ve stayed at a few hotels in my time, and none have had any interior decoration that caught my eye like this colour scheme. Just be careful to not become too bedazzled by the colours and miss the elevator- we noticed that the doors were quite quick to shut.

Once inside out room, I found it to be spacious and clean. We had an upgraded triple share room which had one double bed, one single bed, and a couch with a fold-out mattress. The room also had a flat screen TV, tea and coffee resources, hanging facilities for coats, a desk with a chair and phone, a heater and free Wi-Fi. There is enough free room in the room for three people to spread their belongings about and still have room walk around freely. The bathroom was clean and gives you enough room to change and get dressed comfortably. The bathroom door slides closed and does not have a lock so be sure to announce that you are going to use the bathroom before doing so to avoid any surprise visitors. One the first night, we turned the heater on but found that it stopped working after about 20 minutes. We phoned reception about this, and they had it repaired the next day.

Attached to the hotel is Bergerac Restaurant which serves French cuisine and is open for lunch and dinner. I will do a separate review for this restaurant, but I will say here that the food was delicious, the ambiance was definitely French, and the staff were friendly. If French cuisine isn’t to your liking, the hotel is also within walking distance of at least a couple of pubs, a McDonalds, a Greek Restaurant and a pizza place. There are also at least 4 night clubs located minutes away from the hotel which all cater to different music tastes, and also a ‘gentlemen’s club’ just a minute’s walk away as well.

All in all I enjoyed my stay at the Kingsgate Hotel and would recommend it as affordable, comfortable accommodation that is centrally located in Melbourne.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I stayed here on the 24th August for 3 nights , I found my room small and sort of old and run down , could not work out how to work the heater but room was warm anyway , one thing I found was that there was no room service , not sure if all room types are like this ? Most hotels I have stayed at have free wi fi for Internet , every day house keeping did not fill up my sugar or coffee which I had to call to get more . I found when I checked in that there was milk in the fridge but the fridge was not turned on ! Sure the room would have been ready when I walked in ! Every night I had a group of young men early morning about 3-4 am running up and down the halls , swearing , loud voices doors slamming , which woke me up and could not get back too sleep every morning , I feel ripped off , for the price I payed and the lack of sleep I got , I would not ever return to this hotel again if staying in Melbourne , unless you fix the hotel up

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
KingsgateHM, General Manager at ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Scott,
We’re sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your recent stay at the All Seasons Kingsgate Hotel. We hope that your feedback can help us to improve our hotel services.

I’m sorry that you felt the room was too small and inadequately stocked with essential items. I apologise for the hassle of having to ask reception for these extra things and have alerted housekeeping so that a thorough check is done when rooms are prepared and made up in future.

Let me also apologise for the extra noise you were exposed to from within the hotel. Unfortunately not all of our guests respect others who stay in the hotel and can create noise in the corridor and their rooms. Reception can be alerted of any complaints and will do their best to try to keep hotel noise to a minimum.

I appreciate you sharing your concerns, and I hope that you will give the All Seasons Kingsgate Hotel the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

The hotel is in a great location, rooms were clean and had good facilities. However their must be a night club located below the hotel and this was open till 4 am, the room we had was extremely noisy, we could hear the music and people talking until 4 am.. thereafter the barrels being shifted in the alley way. We got very little sleep. Pillows also felt like rocks.
Would not stay here again because of the noise.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
KingsgateHM, General Manager at ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Dear Sally,
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the All Seasons Kingsgate Hotel. We’re disappointed to hear that you were unhappy with your time with us.

I apologise for the noise issues you experienced while you were staying with us. The King St location of our hotel means we are sometimes troubled by noise from the famous nightclubs on this strip. We are working to address the noise issues which challenge our guests' ability to have a peaceful stay in our hotel and your feedback is very helpful.

Thanks again for your comments and I hope that if we do welcome you back to our hotel that we are able to provide a more enjoyable stay.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Not really convenient for where I needed to be but cheap and cheerful. The staff were friendly and helpful. Only drawback was the heater. My room was very warm and I actually ended up opening the window and putting the fan on too. Overall I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Given that it's an Accor Hotel, I did expect a little more. Overall, the hotel was old and really really basic, even after some attempts have been made to improve its looks. Rooms reminded me of a slightly more upmarket hostel with low quality furniture, bed, tired carpets and noisy heater. The only things it got going for it was its location at King Street and friendly staff.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Linda,

I’m sorry that you thought the hotel and your room wasn’t up to standard. Our refurbishment of 2010 has tried to retain the elegance of the 1926 building while also modernising our rooms. To ensure you have the most up to date room type I would recommend booking one of our Superior rooms or asking reception whether a room change is available.

I once again thank you for your comments as it allows us to better improve our hotel for you and for our future guests.
Mildura
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

The King Street location is ideal as its central to the CBD, Southern Cross station, Etihad stadium & lots more. But it also makes for a noisy location, particularly as the motel is close to a pub.
The staff were friendly & helpful. Our standard double room was tidy, but the power point in the room wasn't fixed to the wall properly, which I thought has the potential to be a hazard. The window blind was a waste - it did nothing to block out the daylight. I was also surprised when I hung up a towel & the towel rail came off the wall!!!
If you can I'd advise taking your own pillow as the ones provided are useless. Oh - bring your own face washer too, when I enquired I was told they don't provide them.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Kim,
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the All Seasons Kingsgate Hotel. We’re disappointed to hear that you were unhappy with some of your time with us.

I’m sorry about the issues you had with your room during your stay. The hazardous powerpoint and the broken towel rack are both circumstances that you shouldn’t have had to deal with. I will make sure that we do a thorough check to identify similarly faulty items in the future so that our guests are not at risk.

All Seasons Kingsgate General Manager

Been to ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel? Share your experiences!