“Just a hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sydney, Australia
“Just a hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Centrally located but overpriced for its offerings. Rooms are small. Wi if is expensive. Worst of all, my room didn't get made up the day before I was leaving. No apologies, nothing from management. Will not be staying here again

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
GrandHyattMelbourne, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Dear Neil,

We are terribly sorry that you had a disappointing experience during your stay with us and wish not to return. We sincerely apologize that we did not meet your expectations in both service and product and have informed management of your comments for further investigation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

My Boyfriend of 7 years and I both stayed in this hotel at the start of August as a surprise to celebrate his 30th Birthday. The room was amazing- everything was so luxurious and so thoughtfully laid out.

However, the reason you stay here is not the room or even the amazing bathroom (I will get to this in a minute) but the spectacular views of Melbourne. When I walked into the room, the view from the floor to ceiling window literally took my breath away. I just sat and stared with my mouth open for ages. And as I mentioned earlier, the room is laid out so thoughtfully to make the most of this amazing view- including careful positioning of the super comfy couch and the super comfy king sized bed.

Now, as I used to live in Japan I am a little bit obsessed with amazing bathrooms. And this bathroom is without a doubt the best I have experienced here in melbourne (although, to be fair, I have not stayed in the Crown Hotels, and they are suppose to have amazing bathrooms). The marble was beautiful and it felt so nice against bar skin. The bath was long and deep (a rare treat these days, its usually one or the other) and the showerhead in the shower was so great- I actually took both a shower and a bath in just a one night stay and both were as impressive as each other!

Of course the room also comes with all the little luxuries you would expect from a 5 star hotel- robes, slippers, high quality toiletries and of course some foxtel channels and 24 hour room service.

FUN FACT- the rooms have door bells, which surprised me greatly when our room service dinner arrived and the doorbell rang. I liked it!

as my boyfriend undertook check in and out I can't comment on these aspects, but from my understand the service was professional and there were no headaches.

The location of this hotel is amazing- although we are from Melbourne and in the city almost every day so we weren't here to sightsee- if you were here to sightsee it would be a great location for access to all attractions/theatres/sporting venues/restaurants etc etc.

Thank you for a great stay!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear KoriKate,

Its lovely to hear that you and your boyfriend enjoyed your special stay with us.
We hope to welcome you back to the Grand Hyatt soon.
new zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

stayed here in September, was allocated a corner room that a fabulous view and lots and lots of space. the room had a large L shape lounge that was neat for relaxing. the rooms are starting to look a little tired but still a good hotel and great central location. the bed was very comfortable and had a good sleep.

Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Good hotel in a convenient central location. Standard service and decoration. The rooms are a bit small: the round table in the middle of the room is an interesting addition, but this is too big for the size of the room, so not a lot of space is left. Very good breakfast buffet.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Hotel is on a slight uphill at the edge of downtown Melbourne.Still easy access to all the shopping areas and Chinatown.
Lobby checkin is on the upper ground floor which can be accessed by escalators or lifts.Big reception area but minimal modern decor.The bar is directly opposite the lobby.What i noticed about the hotel was how dark and dim it was throughout the hotel.
Checkin was a little slow...and not particularly friendly or welcoming.Receptionist just stood there in front of us without uttering a word.
My room was on the 30th floor but was blocked by the office block right in front.To the right however...the view was lovely.
Room was big spacious and very clean.Typical of Grand Hyatt decor...brownish grey and black decor for the room and black and white marble for the bathroom.Bed was big and comfortable with very crisp clean sheets.Tv mounted up on the corner...and instead of the usual squarish workdesk a round table with a lounge settee was placed near the window.
Being black and white marble the bathroom floor was very cold.However...it was big and roomy with interesting toiletries supplied.
A very businesslike hotel...which is above average..but minimal in service from staffs.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

As a Melbournian I've stayed at the Grand Hyatt many times throughout 2011-2013, so here's my experience with this hotel:

Bathroom: My favorite was the bathroom. The bathroom is perfection. It has black and white Italian marble on the vanity and basin, and cream marble on the floor, shower and bathtub. The bathroom is really clean, which is important. Definitely a five star bathroom, and the best hotel bathroom I've ever seen, even in five diamond hotels in the US.

Staff: The staff are really friendly and nice! Housekeeping is on time at 12 pm.

Bedroom: The bedroom was average. The mini-bar was well stocked. The only complaint I would say is that the carpet is old. The size of the room was the perfect size. The bed was spacious and comfortable and the covers keep you warm. I had gotten the same level room once which was smaller than the one I got another time, so I recommend telling them you want the most spacious room within the room category you want. So if you're getting an executive suite, ask for the biggest executive suite they have, so you're getting more space for the same money.

Reservations: I had asked when I called reservations for a quiet room and was happily assigned to one. The room was very peaceful. Any hotel you stay at I recommend informing them of your preferences (quiet room, higher floor, etc.) when making a booking and then confirm it when you arrive at the hotel. The payment is made really easy and they don't over charge or hold any of your bond money. After I checked out, I was given the receipt and the person at reception told me to have a look that everything corresponds to what I had booked.

Extras: Phone calls are really expensive though, so don't ever forget your phone! I called a mobile number in Melbourne for 5 or 10 mins (can't remember) and it cost $30.
Valet costs $30 a day but you can take the car in and out as many times you want.

Location: The location is amazing! It's entrance is on Collins street which has all the amazing shopping tourists want to see. It's a couple of minutes' walk from the central train terminals (Flinders street) and cabs are also everywhere in that area of the city, so it's easy to get around as a tourist.

The only compliant I would say is that I had forgotten to take my phone so I called reception and asked if they had a clock and it was brought to my room 30 mins after my phone call, when I did a follow up call.

Overall I've had an amazing time each time I stay there and would really recommend it :)

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Erica,

Thank you for your wonderful comments. It is fantastic to hear you enjoyed our facilities and are a loyal guest at Grand Hyatt. We have passed your comments regarding phone charges on to management and thank you for you feedback.
We look forward to your next stay with us.
Sydney, Australia
2,802 reviews 2,802 reviews
1,337 helpful votes 1,337 helpful votes
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I don't necessarily relate to the "glimmer" of the lobby but on the whole it meets most needs.
It is certainly a great location, central to most of my needs in Melbourne whether it be business, restaurants , theatre, MCG etc.
Although a Platinum member, have never had an upgrade but just expect some basic minimum levels of service.
My first problem was when I checked in and asked if they were holding my dinner (expensive) package for the Swannies football game that night - they were to be delivered there by the event organisers.
Front desk said no, they weren't there so I said could you enquire. They then asked the porter downstairs but they didn't have them.
The front desk person was prepared to leave it there as if I should be happy flying to Melbourne, staying at an expensive hotel and then missing out on the very reason I had flown to Melbourne.
I asked a few times if she could keep looking but it was obvious that she thought she had done her job.
I was about to harass the event organisers when the girl came back and said they were sitting in a drawer - relief yes, but frustrating.
it was similar to the previous week when I was at the Park Hyatt and lost a favourite Italian sweater - left behind in a taxi when I was checking in - the porters rang the taxi company - a thirty second conversation that went nowhere but they thought they had done the job - irrespective of an outcome or not.
By this time, I was late for the game and just headed off for the dinner without a shower.
imagine my surprise the next morning when I found the shower floor covered in water - wasn't sure if somebody else had been in the room or it hadn't been cleaned or it was a shower leak.
I asked at reception and they promised to check but when I was leaving the hotel, they hadn't checked and come back to me.
The service seems to start but then not go anywhere.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Ron,

We are saddened to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. Management has been notified of the issues you faced and will take corrective action to improve our service to insure incidences like yours do not happen again.
Once again we offer our sincerest apologies.

Been to Grand Hyatt Melbourne? Share your experiences!