“Still one of my favourite business hotels” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hyatt Melbourne

You added Grand Hyatt Melbourne to your Saves list
Grand Hyatt Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   123 Collins St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Double Your Points
Ranked #8 of 157 Hotels in Melbourne
Copenhagen
“Still one of my favourite business hotels”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Great and modern rooms with all you can need as a busy business traveller. Location is perfect and the breakfast buffet is of excellent quality and variety and selection. I always know that I get a good night's sleep at the Grand Hyatt in Melbourne.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
GrandHyattMelbourne, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Dear MattCopenhagen,

We are thrilled to hear Grand Hyatt Melbourne made it into your favourite hotel list. We aim to offer our busy business travellers a refuge while they are away from home.
We hope to see you back in Collins Kitchen enjoying the buffet breakfast soon.

Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Big & spacious rooms, excellent staff, a good selection of breakfast menu at the restaurant & all within close proximity of shops and restaurants in central Melbourne. Overall, an excellent experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jafars
Dear Jafars
It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and took advantage of our central location. We look forward to your next visit.
Boston, MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Really disappointed by my stay here, especially after spending the previous two nights at the Park Hyatt that's less than one mile away. Was placed into a Club King room in both hotels as a Hyatt Diamond member, and the difference between the two was really dramatic. The GH's Club Room didn't even have a desk that I could sit down and work at! Instead, it had a cushy round table that was simultaneously supposed to be used for working and eating, I suppose. Items were located in bizarre places; no light fixture, outlet, or amenity (notably the safe) was in the place you might normally find it otherwise in any other hotel. The shower was also very subpar for a hotel of this cost, with limited water pressure and one shower head. Bed was extremely firm; I'm not a particularly picky sleeper in terms of soft or firm beds, and I noticed that this one was disproportionately hard.

Service was friendly, but a little haphazard. I often found one member of staff telling me one thing while having another contradict it a minute later. A room wasn't ready for me at 12:30, so I had to check my bags in the club lounge and was told to come back to the front desk later on to check in. When I returned at 5 PM, the front desk told me to go to the club lounge for the keys, but I wasn't able to access the club lounge without having a key to access that floor in the elevator (or accompaniment from a staff member, which wasn't offered, either.) When I got to the lounge, I got my key, but when I asked for my bags, I was told that they were with the bell desk and would be sent up to my room. When I got to my room, the bags were waiting in there. Good hotels have stuff like that down pat.

The location of this hotel is great; right in the middle of the CBD, within walking distance of plenty of restaurants and shops (although it's literally surrounded by Gucci and Louis Vuitton stores, which may or may not be to your liking). However, when I stayed at the hotel, the rooms were actually more expensive at the Grand Hyatt than they were at the Park Hyatt, and the slight tradeoff in location between the two hotels is more than made up for by the difference in room and service quality. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank latrell1
Dear Harris J
We are saddened to hear you did not enjoy your dining experience at Collins Kitchen. We have forwarded this review to management for action.
We thank you for bringing it to our attention as we aspire to provide 5 star service throughout our entire hotel.
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed before but the standard has dropped. Firstly I contacted twice prior to arrival to ensure there would be no feather bedding as my daughter is allergic and is asthmatic. On arrival we had feather, no problem we thought as we were on our way out. Advised front desk were the staff member Kate, was lovely, very apologetic assured us it would be done and gave us a bottle of wine to make up for this. Was a lovely gesture as at this stage I was not even cross. On return and considering we pointed out having stayed before that both the quilt and mattress topper are feather we were disappointed to find only the quilt had been changed so a call was made asking again to have this done and no apology was made. On return to our room later it was done but there were feathers in the room scattered about the floor. Not alot, probably a dozen or so insight, i colkected what i coukd see. Result was my daughter awoke next morning with an allergic reaction. I imagine there were likely more both under the furniture and on the mattress. Just not good enough! The room is nice, on the small side however. Bathroom is beautifully appointed and would be easily maintained just ashame it is not cleaned ever to a three star standard. The shower was the problem area, how about using some bleach maybe? Full of thick mould, just not good enough. I have attached photos. On the up side the breakfast (full Buffett) is frantastic probably the best we have had in Australia... But pricey. Overall and really due to the sub standard condition of the bathroom I advise you to stay elsewhere.

1 Thank Jil_33
GrandHyattMelbourne, Front Office Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Jil_33
Greetings from Grand Hyatt Melbourne and thank you very much for your recent visit. I was most disappointed read the various shortfalls you experienced, specific to the general condition of your room and I extend my sincere apologies in this regards. I am very concerned that your request of “no feather bedding” has not been organized for you and your daughter prior to arrival, and even after speaking to our Guest Service Agent it was not prepared and fully arranged. We do hope that your daughter has recovered from the allergic reaction after waking up in the morning.
We have also noted your comment about the lack of cleanliness in the bathroom, I have since highlighted the matter to the Housekeeping team who are committed to ensuring that they are more meticulous in the room checking process moving forward.
Thank you again for taking the time to share your Feedback as it is only through such Feedback that we are able to monitor and improve our service. I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Grand Hyatt Melbourne in the near future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

The air conditioning does not seem to work in either of the two rooms I have stayed in. It says it's on 18.5 however the room is very hot still and am finding it hard to fall asleep. Other than this the room is very nice and would recommend it.

• 5 of 5 stars
GrandHyattMelbourne, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Trunt91
This does not sound quite right. Engineering has been notified to check the thermostat and hopefully we will get to the bottom of this. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

The Grand Hyatt has the makings of a fantastic hotel, however, the level of noise in the room is just unbelievable and something I have not experienced to this level in a hotel before. Showers going on and off, banging in the rooms around, as well as doors slamming in the hallway. I had to request earplugs at 1.30am! So much for a weekend of R&R!

• 1 of 5 stars
Dear Caitlin06
We are terribly sorry to hear about your restless night sleep. If you do choose to book with us again please do highlight to the reservation agent that you wish to have a ‘quiet room’ and we can do our best to locate a room with less disruptions.
Once again we are sorry for this inconvenience during your stay.
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

After having experienced great service at other Hyatts, the collins kitchen was a disappointment from the time I arrived at reception. Waited for a fair bit before male staff attended, then was crudely (not rudely) directed to table from female staff instructions.
At 1800hrs, there was hardly any diners, maybe 5 tables, but wait staff didn't attend to me for a good 15 minutes. The drinks arrived 15 minutes later (remembering there were still very few tables taken), then bread (which was scrumptious) arrived 5 minutes after martini. My hapuka fillet arrived a good 20 minutes after the bread arrived.
The staff did attempt to placate by offering me something to read, but all I wanted was to eat.

I should not have gone to eat at Collins Kitchen before the theatre. There are other options.

Decor was good . And ambiance was pleasant.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo