“Excellent service but average accomodation” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hyatt Melbourne

You added Grand Hyatt Melbourne to your Saves list
Grand Hyatt Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   123 Collins St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Eat. Stay. Play
Ranked #9 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Excellent service but average accomodation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

My girlfriend and I recently stayed for a weekend at the Grand Hyatt. While the service right from the doorman to reception to the bar staff at RuCO was helpful and professional the room itself was average for the price tag of Hyatt. The room was clean and the decor contemporary. They stocked T2 tea bags which was a nice touch but the bathroom toiletries were just ordinary. They forgot the shampoo and conditioner the first night but this was picked up the second night. Complimentary water bottles was a nice touch. What was quite surprising which has been mentioned in other reviews is that the room does not appear to have much sound proofing. We could hear not just the neighbouring room doors opening and closing but the plumbing in adjacent bathrooms and toilets. This may not bother those who sleep soundly but we were certainly aware of these background noises throughout the night. The bed itself was comfortable and as we were at the back of the hotel with no views we didn't hear any street noise at all. On a plus side the hotel is conveniently located to Melbourne CBD and some great shopping and eating venues.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
GrandHyattMelbourne, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear drsfr
We are glad to hear our staff and quality of service was a highlight of your stay with us. It sounds as though you took advantage of our great central location.
We are sorry to hear your amenities were missing and we will continue to encourage staff to double check these finer touch points when preparing our guests room.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

My husband as part of a grand plan for my birthday surprised me with a stay at the Grand Hyatt.
The check in was very efficient and welcoming.
My husband had requested a room with a view as it was a special occasion and we did have a lovely view of the city. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was very nice. The shower pressure could be a bit stronger, however it was fine.
We had a package that included the night stay, breakfast buffet and tickets to Legally Blonde all of which we enjoyed.
The breakfast was good, however I didn't like that they started wrapping it up 15 minutes before the end.
Overall, I was happy with the stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GrandHyattMelbourne, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear oxjohnnysangelxo
We are glad to hear you enjoyed your surprise stay with us. Legally Blonde would have been great fun to see.
We hope you choose to stay with us again when you next plan a night out in the city.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Hyatt two weeks ago when attending a wedding in the City. We booked via wotif.com and got a 'deal' which was the provision of breakfast and a late checkout at 1pm. Our 'deal' cost $360.00 which looked good as the normal price was stated as being $640.

Simply put, the room you get is not worth $360, let alone $640. There's nothing essentially wrong with it. It's small, clean and bland. Our window looked onto City buildings but if you turned to the right you could see over to the MCG and beyond. I don't stay in that many five star hotels but I've stayed in a few and frankly, this was disappointing. There's not even a pillow chocolate! No flowers, fruit, welcome note. Nothing to make it 'special'. If you're looking for an occasion hotel, the Grand Hyatt is not it.

Before we went to the wedding we had some rice paper rolls from room service. They were large, tasty and came with four a serve. Good value for money I felt.

The bed was comfortable. You'll need to put the air-conditioning on to quite a low temperature as we had it switched off and the room got very hot. The room was quiet, with the usual noises coming in from the hotel corridor. The soap was nice but the shower gel was not a good smell for me. Shower pressure is average.

After the wedding we had a coffee and cake in their downstairs dining area. The cake was delicious but the coffee was awful. This is Melbourne and serving poor coffee is disappointing and disgraceful! But you know, baristas make mistakes, so I mentioned it to the waiter when he enquired after our meal. He apologised, said he'd mention it and deducted the coffee from the bill. Very nice and efficient. Being a member of Gen Y I was also treated to quite a lot of 'life story' and within two minutes knew he was still getting over his jet lag as he'd just come back from England and wasn't originally from Melbourne and didn't know his way round and had transferred from... etc etc. Funny but not particularly professional.

However the next morning when I went down to breakfast I saw someone walking into the hotel clutching a takeaway coffee cup from an outside establishment. Uh oh I thought, that's not a good sign and sure enough, I ordered another cafe latte and it was revolting. I didn't even drink it. They really need to do something about this.

Breakfast was the usual hotel buffet type. Quite a wide range, including dumplings, and the bacon was nice and crispy.

When we checked out the man behind the counter started to talk about charges on my credit card. I queried this with him, pointing out that I had already paid for the room, six weeks ago when I booked it. No, no he said, these are additional charges. I said but I'm going to pay those now from my savings account using eftpos. He said these charges were going to be on my card for five days but then they would come off. I am clarifying this in the retelling. It was a lot more confused and the chap did not explain it at all well. I objected, saying why wasn't I told about this before? He said we should have been told when we checked in. We weren't and he was the one who'd checked us in! Anyway, he apologised and deducted half our valet parking fee. Which was jolly nice, just like the coffee. But wouldn't it be easier for all concerned if they got these things right to start with? Certainly better for them financially...

To sum up, fine for business (if you don't care about coffee) but if you're looking for something with some wow factor, the Grand Hyatt is not it. We'll be going elsewhere next time.

Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

From our initial meeting through to the evening there is nothing the Grand Hyatt and the team could not do for us. Our initial booking was informative and concise, no waffle, just facts and a tour of the facility.

Our planning meeting introduced us to the delectable food and drink our guests would enjoy on the evening. Speaking of guests, half our party stayed at the hotel and thoroughly enjoyed the luxurious levels of service, care and attention the Hyatt put into our evening.

Upon arrival in the whirlwind of activity, our personal wedding planner who had been with us from the start, showed us to our upgraded room. Oh my lord what an upgrade, from the North, past the MCG and to the Bay, what an amazing view. Our bridal party enjoyed canapés and relaxed in the room before heading down to our reception. The room had a butlers pantry, guest bathroom, study and after a little exploration of the cavernous space we found our room and ensuite.

One of my favourite memories from the day was hanging out in the ensuite with my best man and best friend of 25 years, enjoying champagne and doing some last minute grooming before the reception. Views out over the city we love so much.

Our wedding organiser brought our party down for the Grand Entrance, the room, stunning! Every detail every glass everything polished to perfection.

The food, drink and merriment that ensued was in no small part due to the great venue and staff at the Grand Hyatt Melbourne.

Room Tip: The Dimplomatic Suite if you have the coin.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear MrCheeseManMelbourne
We are delighted to hear your wedding ran so smoothly. We are very fortunate to have such an amazing weddings team that do an impeccable job. I have passed on your glowing reviews to the team.
We hope to see you here for your one year anniversary.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

We expected more from this hotel.
Given the location and brand we expected to be wowed.
The hotel is grand in its entrance and the rooms are very clean and well presented.
However, this hotel does not have the feeling if being built well. The walls are paper thin and we found ourself hearing everything from adjoining rooms.
We had a newspaper request that we paid extra for. This was forgotten and the regular paper had run out so we received no paper at all.
Ok, but have had far better experiences at comparably priced hotels.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear CarlyWelburn
We are terribly sorry your expectations of us were not met. We do hope to wow our guests with not only our facilities but also our 5-star service and we are once again sorry you did not experience either.
melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this magnificent hotel for 1 night. We had a great room on the 33rd floor with fabulous views of the city including Club Lounge access. Our Check In was made easy by Grant who attended to all our needs. He was delightful with a great smile and a lovely disposition. Nothing was too much trouble for him. We had breakfast in the club lounge the following morning. There was a great variety of food and the views were spectacular. We really enjoyed our time here and will be back again. Thank you to all the staff who made our stay extra special.

Dear fanyMelbourne
It is wonderful to receive such a glowing review. We are extremely fortunate to have dedicated staff members like Grant who go above and beyond to make sure our gusts have a memorable experience.
We hope you and your husband come back to visit us again soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I recently stayed in the Grand Hyatt for 3 nights. Upon arrival we had an easy check in and the concierge were very welcoming. We were given a corner room which had lovely views across the city. The rooms were spacious and well appointed. Beds were comfortable and bathrooms clean. I am not entirely sure whether I would rate it as 5 star but it would definitely come close. The only issue I found is that the walls are paper thin and the water pipes are extremely noisy. I think this could be worse on the lower floors as we moved to a higher floor in the same corner location the following night, and it was not so bad but you could still hear showers and toilets flushing during the night. The location is fantastic, walking distance to most things. The hotel restaurant is quite good but a tad pricey. Also be wary of the "happy hour" as the minute you sit outside the bar you are charged double for drinks. We sat just outside the door as it was overheated in the bar and we were not able to purchase drinks from the bar, we had to buy them from the restaurant and pay double. Overall good but would try somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: Stay on higher floors if possible
Dear Alanac269,
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear you were not 100% satisfied with our services and we have passed on your comments to management for improvement.
It’s great to hear you took advantage of our central location and explored Melbourne whist staying with us. We hope this along with our friendly and welcoming staff will be enough to persuade you to visit us again.

Been to Grand Hyatt Melbourne? Share your experiences!