“Best breakfast on earth” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hyatt Melbourne

Save Saved
You added Grand Hyatt Melbourne to your Saves list
Grand Hyatt Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   123 Collins St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Eat. Stay. Play
Ranked #15 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Brisbane, Australia
“Best breakfast on earth”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Have stayed GH Melbourne before and can say that we enjoyed our second visit. The buffet breakfast with unlimited tea & coffee is incomparable & the service staff are friendly & courteous.
My only gripe was that we had an adjoining room & could hear the neighbours in the next room talking into the wee small hours & when we arrived for coffee the second morning were unaware that there was a wait for tables into the dining room so decided on a coffee-to-go ordered at the bar instead. When I booked my reservation by phone the operator could not locate my gold passport membership & upon check-in I discovered the membership was in my husbands name therefore we couldn't use the rewards as the booking had been made in my name - had we received a membership card we would have known this!
Having said this we would not hesitate to recommend the Hotel or stay again!

Room Tip: Corner suites near the lift are larger but there is some lift noise Adjoining rooms allow conversat...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
GrandHyattMelbourne, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear 19Jen64

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad that our staff and buffet breakfast lived up to your expectations. That early morning abundance of fresh food really is the perfect way to start the day! However we’re sorry to learn that you were faced with a few hiccups during your stay. We are most grateful you gave us this feedback and will work with management to ensure issues like this do not happen again.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

1,166 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stayed here for the two night eat stay play package on 10 & 11 May 2013.We had a King room on the 15th floor, with a King size bed, L shaped sofa, a dining table, a luxurious bathroom, and a glorious view to the north of Melbourne. Check in was fast and courteous, and we were instantly offered a late check out, which was fantastic. I am a very llight sleeper, and had a great sleep not bothered by any noise issues at all. The room was spotlessly clean. Room service was prompt and delicious, and not too expensive. Collins Kitchen has both a lounge area and a formal dining area, and once again I could not fault the service of the staff. For dessert lovers, there is a fabulous buffet, including the most delectable salted caramel mini tart. I have stayed at many hotels in Melbourne CBD on mini weekend breaks, and this is my favourite. The service is of such a high standard and the location is the hub of the CBD - trams outside the front door, trains, the river, Federation Square are all a block away, and not much further to the Alexandra gardens, tan track for runners, Southbank for restaurants and shopping. A short walk or tram ride to Bourke st mall shops and Melbourne Central shops / movies. Two blocks in another direction to Parliament House and the theatre district, a tram ride to Lygon st, or Docklands. Perfect, perfect, perfect. An extra special mention to the male staff member at the parking entrance who had the biggest smile, happiest demeanour and friendliest greeting on both mornings we left to go for a wander about town - he made us feel like we were old friends, and that he really did care that we had a fabulous day. He is one of the reasons this hotel is a step above anywhere else in Melbourne. My only negative is that my credit card was charged $40 for items I purchased at Collins Kitchen, which should have been deducted from my $100 room credit. This was a little annoying, but was rectified when I rang the hotel after receiving my card statement, so I forgive them this small error. I will definitely be back, and also plan to bring my mother for afternoon tea on her birthday.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the lift if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Joandy8
Thank you for your wonderful review. It is great to see you took advantage of our new Eat.Stay.Play package and got to experience some of our 5 star facilities such as Collins Kitchen.
We are lucky enough to have staff that go above and beyond to make our guests feel at home during their stay with us. It is always lovely to hear that our staff made your stay a memorable one and we stand out from the rest.
We do apologise for the incorrect charges on your credit card. This has been flagged with management to ensure it will not happen again. Thank you for your forgiveness regarding the issue and we look forward to seeing you and your mother for a special afternoon tea.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Have stayed here many times and negative experiences are virtually non existent.....
The rooms are very comfortable and the higher end rooms are spectacular....
The Grand Club if you have a chance, is the best we have experienced anywhere...... The service is excellent and the produce is fresh and plentiful.....
The staff are friendly and professional which makes for a comfortable, relaxing stay from the time at the valet to time of checkout.....
Finally the buffet breakfast is far and away the best in Melbourne by along way and is a perfect way to start your day....
The Grand Hyatt Melbourne is in one word is "Grand".....

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
GrandHyattMelbourne, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Eddie P
So glad to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Please do let us know via facebook if you plan to visit again so we can personally thank you for your comments.
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

The Grand Hyatt has not let me down yet!

After spending a week in Adelaide, i was here on business again and it was a welcoming and refreshing experience.

Check in was very quick and easy. Room was slightly smaller than the usual standard GH size, but large enough. Large pull out TV and in HD, an L-Shaped sofa, complimentry water bottles and wi-fi, and travel adapters in the room.

Nice size shower and bath. plenty of towels along with their usual Sanctury Spa products.
Plenty of choices on the menu but i didnt get a chance to sample any purely due to the fact of the location of the Hotel, there's so many local restaurants in walking distance.

Usual amazing breakfast buffet with an very large variety. Courteous, smiling and very helpful staff in every department including the cleaners.

The location, again along with Muscat and KL, is perfect. So many shops and places to eat nearby you're never too far from the hotel to pop back and drop off your shopping to go out again.

Melbourne is a wonderful city and the Grand Hyatt doesnt let you down.
Back in KL next month, where shall i stay? hmmm..give you three guesses..

Thanks again Team Hyatt.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sid_Kadri
Thank you for your wonderful comments.
We are thrilled to hear you have had a positive experience on your multiple stays with us.
Our location is fantastic and really does allow you to have everything at your fingertips.
We look forward to your next visit with us.
Regards,

Hyatt Team
Melbourne, Victoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I stayed at the grand Hyatt Melbourne for two nights for my 18th birthday which was also mothers day weekend. The location is perfect in terms of shops close by, it is an easy and nice walk to south bank where we were had dinner both nights.
The room and foyer is elegant which instantly relaxes you and makes you feel officially on a holiday. We ordered some room service which was very good andthe service was prompt. we also purchased a box of truffles from Collins kitchen and they were very nice too. The staff at Collins kitchen are all very cheery and nice, and good to talk to. The people at reception and the people who greet you at the door were also very nice and polite.

The beds are very big and comfortable, I was able to get a lovely nights sleep after very busy weekend.

The bathroom is huge and and glamorous, and th is a lot of towels supplied which is uncommon in many hotels, but very appreciated.

A always my stay at the grand hyatt melbourne was great, and I can't wait to go back again, hopefully sooner rather than later. Highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear DCB95
First of all happy 18th birthday, and thank you for choosing to celebrate your special day with us.
We are thrilled you had an enjoyable stay with us and all of our facilities where to your liking. Everyone needs to be spoiled every now and again.
We hope you visit again to celebrate your next big milestone. Hopefully before your 21st!
Shanghai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I have the fortune to travel all over Asia Pacific for work and pleasure. I have stayed at other Grand Hyatts as well as Intercontinentals, Shangri-Las, Le Meridiens, and Sofitels. Unfortunately, this one doesn't even come close. Here's why --

POSITIVES: The staff was super friendly and accommodating. The breakfast buffet, too, was excellent with the right balance of fresh fruits and individually prepared coffees and omelettes.

NEGATIVES: The hotel was getting old and this was very apparent in the both the furniture styles as well as the worn fabrics on the couches and chipped wood on the rest of the furniture. Further, while the rooms were well-kept and clean, I was literally disgusted with the remote control for the TV. A layer of filth several millimeters thick was caked between the buttons. I was contemplating using ear Q-tips to clean them out but the thought of this created a gag reflex because all I could think of was having some of that vile grey-green matter touch my skin. Instead, I went to the nearest Coles (Australian super market) and bought some zip lock bags in which to put the remote. This allowed me to use the remote without actually having to touch it. Finally, where I felt literally cheated was that the Hyatt charges $50 for valet parking. This is a ridiculous amount of money particularly since other similarly priced hotels charge $30. The valets were also unable to have my car ready at the time I requested on 3 of the 4 nights I stayed there. Each evening, I asked the car to be ready at a specific time in the morning. But then it wasn't and I had to wait up to 10 minutes for the car to be retrieved causing me to run late.

In summary, for the price Hyatt charges you can get more value for your money in Melbourne. Said differently, you can get the same service, rooms, and amenities for $100 less, trust me. Or, for the same price you can find other hotels that give you more for your money. Effectively, the Hyatt brand allows then to charge $100 extra per night.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear DHWShanghai
Thank you for taking the time to inform us of the issues you faced during your stay. We are terribly disappointed to hear about the cleanliness of your room, which is by no means acceptable. Also it appears that our promise of providing great service also fell short of your expectations on a couple of occasions. When you stay at a 5-star hotel you should receive a 5-star experience. Please be reassured that this feedback has been passed onto the Management Team for action and review. On a lighter note, we agree that our buffet breakfast is a fabulous extravagance and our friendly attentive staff do go above and beyond to make guests feel at home. Once again we are terribly sorry that your overall experience was underwhelming.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We had a standard room on the 28th floor which had the most marvelous view. The room was very clean and very well appointed even having a small couch which so many standard rooms don't have. The only draw back to our room was the plumbing from adjoining rooms could be herd draining away through the wall/ceiling, loud enough to wake us, hence 4 stars (if I could do halves I would) instead of 5.

The staff were what I refer to as "casually professional". That excellent blend of feeling like you're one of the family but not being taken for granted...if that makes sense. The bar down stairs, RU-CO, is a great place to while away a late afternoon with friends and some great drinks before heading out for the evening. Being on the doorstep of the "Paris end" of Collins Street means plenty of high end shopping to enjoy.

A great breakfast was served up to us in our room as part of our romance package. A great hotel and definitely one to stay at if you're in Melbourne.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear ewtr
Thank you for your feedback and we agree that our high floors do have fabulous views. Ru-co bar is one of Melbourne’s finest kept secrets and we are glad you had the chance to discover it during your stay with us.
We hope you enjoyed our romance package and you and your partner had a relaxing night away despite the noise issues.
We hope to see you again soon.

Been to Grand Hyatt Melbourne? Share your experiences!