“Lovely, clean and a touch of lux” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hyatt Melbourne

Save Saved
You added Grand Hyatt Melbourne to your Saves list
Grand Hyatt Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   123 Collins St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Eat. Stay. Play
Ranked #14 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Geelong, Australia
“Lovely, clean and a touch of lux”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We stayed in a standard room, the exterior of the hotel and lobby were amazing. The room itself was very clean! Although a little small (compared to other hotels in Melbourne). The view of the city was lovely! The bathroom was very nice, although i felt a little old fashioned (could just be personal taste).only disappointment was the pool, it was part of the gym downstairs and was small and seemed fairly old, and no view. Overall nice experience and would stay here again

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
GrandHyattMelbourne, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Britty1507
We all deserve a little luxe in our lives and glad you experienced this during your stay at Grand Hyatt. We have to agree that the lobby is rather grandiose and such a nice introduction for what’s to come at our 5-star hotel. We agree that the views are magic! We look forward to you visiting us again soon.

1,174 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed here for the first time due to the incompetence of the booking staff at Crown Towers.

We stayed in the presidential suite, it was clean, spacious, and as expected. The technology in room was a little dated, as for the TVs were a little small. These are minor things.

The staff are very skilled in their roles, the club lounge is magnificent, and the hotel itself is run very professionally.

We have not returned to our usual place of Crown Towers since staying here. It is very impressive, and I am thoroughly impressed with this hotel.

One SMALL gripe. Most hotels you stay at where you spend $1200+ allow guests to smoke in the room. This hotel does not. I assumed I could due to their being ashtrays and matches in the room, but I was charged their "cleaning fee" due to this. This was my mistake and not a reflection on the hotel itself.

All in all, a brilliant hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear PlatinumGent

Firstly, we are so glad we could accommodate you on such a busy date in our city. The Presidential Suite is currently not a room we use regularly; and is more so presented when we are fully booked; which was the case in your circumstance; we wanted to be able to host you. It is a very spacious room with all the finishes of one would expect; but the décor is indeed outdated and the last piece of our total hotel redevelopment.
We agree that this space is in need of a renovation and the exciting news is that we will be redesigning this large 180sqm suite over the coming months! This means we will be able to return this large suite to inventory and we truly hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to enjoy the ‘new’ life of this suite.
Your comments to our staff are greatly appreciated and will be passed on.
In regard to smoking; Grand Hyatt Melbourne does indeed hold a Non Smoking Policy on all floors of the property. We appreciate your comments to cost and allowance; however the reason we do pass on this charge is due to our commitment to doing a full scale clean, to include shampooing of carpets and drapery of the room prior to the next guest arriving. This is the only way we can ensure there is no evidence of smoking as our brand promises.
Thank you again for your feedback and comments to our team and service!
Newcastle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

If your used to the 6 and 7 star hotels of Dubai, etc, then the GHM probably seems run of the mill. However, I am not a frequent stayer at very high end hotels, and was very impressed with our stay there last weekend. The room was large and very comfortable, with a great city view. The staff were helpful and friendly - and we were staying with a baby, so we made a few requests of them. The GHM is located really well for restaurants, with many different cuisines within a one block walk. Very minor point (considering options nearby) was the lack of dining options actually at the hotel - only one restaurant that I could see. It would be an easy walk to the sports precinct (MCG, Rod Laver Arena, etc), but unfortunately we weren't going there. Trams to everywhere run right past the front door. My only real criticism is the same one I have for all these ritzy hotels (and GHM are just doing what all the others do), which is, how come budget motels in outback Queensland and southern Utah can offer free wifi, but these places charge $20 a day? It's not an extra luxury, it should be a standard inclusion. It's like charging extra to use the TV. But, apart from that, I highly recommend a stay at the GHM.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear LOCKMAC07
Thank you for your comments and it’s great to hear that travelling with a baby was made easy for you at our hotel (as we’re sure it can often be a challenge).
We are by virtue situated in the best part of town and are lucky enough to have some of the finest internationally renowned restaurants right at our door step. We would definitely recommend speaking with our friendly concierge next time you stay, to recommend some additional dining options close by. As for wi-fi, it is something that we hope to have a better solution for soon.
Dinner Plain, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I recently celebrated my birthday at Collins Kitchen. We were given a semi-private room close to the food stations even though I didn't request it which was fabulous. The food and the service were excellent and we all agreed that it was a great place to celebrate a special occasion. Thank-you, I will be back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Karen B
We are glad to hear you had a wonderful birthday experience in Collins Kitchen and were seated at the helm of the Chef’s Table. It is a treat being right in amongst the action of the kitchen. We hope you return sometime soon to try some of Executive Chef, Jason Camillo’s new culinary creations or the to-die-for Afternoon Tea. Delicious!
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I was not sure what to expect given the divergent reviews, but when I stayed here for two nights this week in a room on the 10th floor I was very pleasantly surprised. It is a beautiful hotel. My room was spacious and comfortable. I found all of the staff to be excellent and well above the bar I expect of hotel service in Australia (which is admittedly low). My room was quiet and the bed was very comfortable.

My corporate room rate was quite good, but the extras including food and beverages were, I must say, very expensive. I also found the room service brekafast somewhat disappointing, both in terms of a la carte choice and in terms of the product (I almost always order the same thing, Bircher museli; this one was very bland indeed, and pricey).

But the Collins Street location is excellent, and overall I do think it is indeed a grand hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear scotthumphries

Thank you for your candid comments on your recent stay and we’re glad that our hotel superseded your expectations. What a relief!

We tend to agree that our staff are rather excellent, and do go out of their way to ensure every guest has a memorable experience. As for breakfast, perhaps head down to Collins Kitchen and sample the full buffet – touted the best in Melbourne, but we do understand that often enjoying the comforts and quiet of your room is rather blissful. We hope to see you again soon.
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I went to the Grand Hyatt for a weekend with my spouse to go and enjoy some of the comedy festival. We got a large corner room with great views. We had room 2719 and I noticed there were water stains on the wall underneath the aircon.

The bed was really comfortable but the doona on the bed was way too hot and even with the airconditioning turned all the way down it was way too hot. A sheet or a light cotton blanket which would have been fine. The airconditioning was really loud and the rooms suffered from noise from the corridor and adjoining rooms. No wine was included in the mini bar which you had to order from rooms service... so we didn't bother. Check in and out was pretty inefficient and took quite a while. Express checkout can be handled in other hotels so I am not sure why they can't manage it her. For the tariff it was really pretty underwhelming. We have stayed here before and it seems to have lost its focus. I don't think we will rush back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
GrandHyattMelbourne, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear RahulD574,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent hotel stay. We really value open honest feedback and are disappointed to read that your visit lacked the gloss and polish of your previous experience. It’s often the little things that do make a big difference and we’ll definitely look further into how are services such as mini bar and check-out can be far more seamless and provide what our guests want.

We hope you return to our hotel and give us the opportunity to provide a true 5-star stay.
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt for a work trip and it was great. Perfect customer service, a clean comfortable room. The location on Collins Street is fabulous. The hotel is right around the corner from some fabulous eateries in Flinders Lane.
At night, the noise from the occupants next door was quite loud (because the rooms were connecting and the connecting door was right next to the bed) so the front desk arranged for me to move to another room. It was extremely quiet and I had a comfortable night's sleep.
I had to meet people for interviews and used the seats in the lobby. It was perfect - private and quiet. There is also a very nice business centre I could have used but it didn't offer as much privacy.
I want to give special mention to George the hotel doorman. He was so helpful and just a lovely person. He even gave me some advice about Miami - his home town, where I am headed at Christmas!
I will definately be staying here for all future work trips and would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: The corner rooms have more space.