“Grand Hyatt Melbourne” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hyatt Melbourne

Save Saved
You added Grand Hyatt Melbourne to your Saves list
Grand Hyatt Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   123 Collins St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Eat. Stay. Play
Ranked #14 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Grand Hyatt Melbourne”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at the Grand Hyatt for a long weekend and still talk about it now 16 years later. The hotel was complete luxury, luxury rooms, marble bathrooms, king size beds, great room service.
Our room had a great view over the city centre.
The hotel is in a great location on Collins Street right on the tram line.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Dear Chico70,
It is great to hear that both then, and now, you had a wonderful stay with us! We agree, Grand Hyatt Melbourne is in a perfect location with easy access to shopping, entertainment and restaurants, as well as public transport. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon for another indulgent weekend away!

1,178 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wonga Park, Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

The service was impeccable from the moment we dropped the car with valet parking - genuine, friendly attentive personal service. The room was very nice and had a lovely view which really made our night. The only bed as comfortable as our own. Also temperature controls that actually work in the room. We were very pleased. We didn't use the other facilities this time but the gym looks terrific.

Room Tip: I would request a view over the city. It is so great to look out and see over the town.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, June 24, 2012
Dear Belinda B,
We pride ourselves on providing truly genuine and personal 5-star service. It’s great to hear that the staff looked after you at everyone touchpoint of your stay. During your next visit, we highly recommend a trip to our large and very well equipped gym or perhaps pamper yourself with a treatment or massage in our Sanctuary Spa– a great way to relax and unwind!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012 via mobile

The service is impeccable and the new refurbishment is beautiful at Hyatt Melbourne. We were very relaxed here, great bed, lovely marble bathroom, always lovely to have breakfast delivered to your room in the morning, however. Was a little expensive for your standard continental and poached eggs. With Stylish surrounds. I think Hyatt could get more creative with their breakfast menu.

• Stayed June 2012
Dear EscapeArtisans,
We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. When we redesigned our guest rooms, Grand Hyatt Melbourne put a lot of thought into creating a modern residential feel. Our beds seem to really win our guests over, and Hyatt actually now sells them online. We will certainly pass on your comments regarding the room service breakfast to our Culinary team. Candid feedback is important, as we strive to deliver the very best product on all levels.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Enjoyed everything about staying at this hotel. Staff were friendly and knowledgable, we were able to walk to everything we wanted to see in the City and come back to a lovely, clean room. The supply of toiletries was the best quality I have ever experienced. If I was being totally picky there was more noise than I expected coming from other guests in the hallway at times and the water pipes were a little noisy. Neither of these would put me off staying here again or reccommending this hotel to others.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Kel197,
Thank you for your review. Grand Hyatt Melbourne certainly has one of the best locations in the city to get out and about and explore everything Melbourne has to offer. I’m sorry to hear that you found the rooms a little noisy – I have raised it with our Engineering team for review. However we certainly look forward to welcoming you back!
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt for work for a week in June. The room was an excellent size (room 2116) and had brilliant blackout curtains, making it easy to get to sleep. The bed was massive (I could almost sleep across the bed if I wanted to!)

The one downside was that the plumbing was such that if the person in one of the nearby rooms was using the shower, you certainly knew about it. This is not so much of an issue if you are up before them, but can be if you want to have a sleep in!

Located on Collins Street, it was conveniently located close to everything in the city.

The breakfast was very expensive, and given that Flinders Lane was a minute's walk from the front door, there was no need to eat in the hotel as there were great places to eat just around the corner.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Sjhinku,
Our beds are well-renowned for being extremely comfortable with more than ample room to stretch out and relax. The perfect way to end a busy working day. It was however, very disappointing to hear of the noise related issues that you encountered during your time with us. Please accept our sincere apologies for this experience. We would like to update your profile to ensure that a quiet room is allocated for all future stays. This will ensure that your next visit to Grand Hyatt will be a memorable one for all the right reasons.
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Lets start with the POSITIVES :)

1. AMAZING VIEWS...We stayed on the 29th floor and could see most of Melbourne's SPECTACULAR sites (MCG, Flinder's Street Station, Yarra just to name a few) Must say my boyfriend and I agreed that the Hyatt offered the most GORGEOUS views we had seen from a hotel in Melbourne.

2. GRAND CLUB LOUNGE...We always opt for hotel with Club Lounges as we enjoy the drinks and canapés at night as well as the buffet breakfasts. We were very happy with the self-serve drinks (However not much variety) at night plus the canapés were delicious. We didn't have breakfast there as we got a package that included a Collins Kitchen Breakfast as the Club Lounge only offers Continental Breakfast which we thought was a bit of a let down.

3. FANTASTIC GYM...Being a bit of the Gym Junkie Couple...we did enjoy the gym which was well equipped and the pool area which kept us amused due to its plunge pool...we are in our early twenties so trying to stay in their longest is still fun :P

NOW lets move onto the NEGATIVES :(

1. BORING DECOR...I thought the room was quite boring really! Too much brown and not enough WOW factor...much better ambience in the Intercontinental Club rooms or Crown Metropol rooms, however I am a young twenty something so maybe I'm just being picky.

2. NOISE...I don't know if it was just our room but we could hear every noise on our level...showers, conversations, vacuuming, any noise made we heard and my boyfriend (good at tuning me out :p) and I (a primary school teacher) are very good at tuning everything out so for us to hear this stuff the Hyatt must not have good sound-proofing.

3. SURPRISE LAUNDRY...After going to dinner with friends we came back to the room for a quick change of wardrobe before hitting Spice Market and were met with someone else's laundry hanging in our wardrobe. After discussing with my boyfriend what to do, we decided to leave it to see if it was a mistake as we didn't want the rush around chasing it as we wanted to continue our night. However, the next morning it was still in our wardrobe and had received an invoice for 42 dollars for the laundry in my name. We called front desk and they sent someone to deal with the issue, however, the lady thought she was cleaning them. After explaining they weren't ours she took them and dealt with them.

4.HOLES IN BED LINEN...It was a comfy and big bed, but I found a number of small holes in the pillowcases when laying down in bed...which I thought was a bit disappointing considering it is the Hyatt.

5. BREAKFAST...As I said earlier we had a package that included Breakfast at Collins Kitchen. Can't report on the food their as we didn't go in as their was over a 20 person line inside the hotel lobby to get in! Granted it was a Sunday but still quite bad! Luckily we were also able to order our breakfast from room service which took 20 minutes (Good time I thought) plus it was HUGE!!! So if you are getting a package with Breakfast included opt for room service as you will avoid the ridiculous queue.

6. CHECK OUT...started off fantastic...no queues, no wait fantastic...was told the price (No sneaky laundry included :p) Asked to pay with my debit card instead of my credit card...to beat the surcharge of course ;) however my card was declined, which was strange as I had ample amount of money in that account, was asked to do it again, however the computer froze and had to wait, so checked the account, to be on the safe side, still ample money, declined again...asked if it could be the machine and was told abruptly it was my card so had to use my credit card and be slumped with the surcharge...checked with my bank...all fine on their end. NOT VERY HAPPY!

7. VALET PARKING...So went to collect the car after the check out mess, being a bit frustrated, decided to let the boyfriend get my keys. waiting, waiting, WAITING! Got the keys, bell boys SHOVED the stuff in the back seat...SHOVED being the key word and off we went. Turned to the boyfriend and said that I wouldn't stay there again, he turned and said 'yeah not very organised PLUS they LOST your KEYS!!!' GRRRRR...luck I have a massive Princess Peach keychain on it and my boyfriend hates it so was able to identify them.

So all in all I won't be coming back to the Grand Hyatt when looking for that little getaway...I will be choosing the Intercontinental or Crown Metropol in which I have had great experiences in!

Room Tip: Request a higher level south facing room for AMAZING views.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Ash G
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay at Grand Hyatt Melbourne.

Please accept our apology for the various shortfalls you experienced. It is our intention to ensure that all our guests are satisfied with the service they receive and it’s most unfortunate that we have not been unable to achieve this on such an occasion.

We certainly appreciate your comments specific to the redesign of our guest rooms. Having recently completed an interior refurbishment of all our suites and rooms, it is disappointing to read that you found the décor boring. Whilst our guest room redesign has been well received by many, we understand that it’s not to everyone’s liking. Your comments regarding noise, bed linen and check-out experience have all been duly noted and are definitely not indicative of the service and product we strive to deliver. Please be assured that your comments have been shared with our Management Team and actions will be taken to avert similar shortfalls in the future.

On the other hand we were delighted to read that your room had a wonderful view and our Grand Club lounge and state-of-the-art City Club Gym were a true highlight. Thank you again for sharing your very valuable feedback and we do hope that we have an opportunity to remedy your Grand Hyatt Melbourne experience in the near future.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Stayed at the Grand Hyatt awhile ago with my partner, we were both pleased with the hotel, everything was great! Staff were very friendly and helpful, our room was very clean and modern, beds were extremely comfy, breakfast buffet was delicious, only downside was the price, quiet expensive but overall fantastic.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Soka24,
It’s great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at Grand Hyatt Melbourne! Breakfast is $40 per person, where you get to choose from an amazing array of cuisine. Everything from steamed dumplings, congee, eggs & bacon and omelets, through to waffles whipped up before your very own eyes. It’s all freshly prepared in our open kitchen, and makes the most of the wonderful fresh local ingredients we produce here in Victoria.

Been to Grand Hyatt Melbourne? Share your experiences!