“Perfect? No. But Close.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hyatt Melbourne

Save Saved
You added Grand Hyatt Melbourne to your Saves list
Grand Hyatt Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   123 Collins St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Eat. Stay. Play
Ranked #14 of 170 Hotels in Melbourne
NYC
“Perfect? No. But Close.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

Really an all-star staff. Every 5* hotel has a number of great staff members, but there are often many who are just average as well. Every last person I encountered at the Hyatt was welcoming with a can-do attitude (including in the City Club gym, which is the second best hotel gym I've been to worldwide - behind Gravity at Le Parker Meridian in NYC). The Club Lounge was also one of the best I've seen (the facility itself as well as the catering). The room service was fast, good and relatively affordable. Beds were very good, but most hotels have great beds these days.

The room was very nice (Grand Suite), though not inspiring. It was quite dark, even with all the lights on. I wish there was a master switch by the door and the bed that would turn on/off all the lights. Similarly, I wish there were electronic blinds with a master switch. The front desk staffing was always thin...typically a wait (not for me per say, just each time I walked by). Plus the Diamond Priority doesn't help at reception because you still need to wait on line and that area of the desk is often empty.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, June 24, 2012
Dear andrewRH3,
Thank you for your review and we most definitely hang our hats on being able to provide state-of-the-art facilities and great service at Grand Hyatt Melbourne. The gym really has a great offering from the huge work-out areas to the roof-top tennis court.
Your comments regarding the levels of lighting in the Grand Suites have been relayed to our Engineering team.
Also next time you stay with us, and as a Diamond Priority guest, you’re most welcome to check in upstairs in the Grand Club Lounge and skip the queue downstairs!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

This is the 3rd time I have stayed at the hotel and again I am glad I stay at the Hotel. I was lucky to have a corner room and the views from 33rd floor are simply stunning.

Room Tip: If possibly ask for a high level corner room looking over the MCG. The view is outstanding. If you...
Dear SydneyTraveller_2008,

The views from the hotel really are quite amazing – there is nothing quite like lying in bed looking over Melbourne as it shimmers at night! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Queensland Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

My wife and l stayed here for one night to attend an AFL Game at Etihad Stadium. We stayed in a Club Room on the 33rd (top) Floor.
From the moment we arrived we were welcomed, and left at ease to take our own bags to the room. No pressure from the concierge.

At reception we were personally welcomed back to the Hotel (we last stayed there in 2006) and asked if we would rather check-in upstairs. We declined and checked in on the spot.
Upon entering our room, though not huge it was superbly appointed and well stocked with toiletries, and the like. The bed was absolutely excellent and the view overlooking the city sublime. The room was totally devoid of external noise, although we were aware we had neighbours on one side. Bottled water was provided free of charge.

We had afternoon coffee in the Club Lounge where the service was excellent. Prior to the Football we had cocktails and canapes. Again the quantity and layout was exceptional. In fact it served as dinner before the match. I must thank the staff who also assisted us in getting to the football, and even went to the extreme of acquiring us the correct change for the tram fare. That to me far exceeds any service requirement, and we were extremely appreciative.

Breakfast in the Lounge is continental (although a full breakfast is offered downstairs). The Lounge breakfast surpassed our need, and was again exceptional in quantity and quality. Service again was five star class. Something unusual in our travels of late.

Checkout was simple and swift. No more than 10 seconds. Awesome.

The Hotel is located in central Melbourne, close to shopping, football, convenience stores and the Theatre District. A great location, shared though by many hotels.

We had an excellent stay on all accounts.
Thanks.

Room Tip: Higher floors allow better views, and a view is available in any direction.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear JohnsonFive
Thank you for your review. Staying in a room with Grand Club Lounge access really is a great way to spoil yourself.
The complimentary evening drinks and canapés is a wonderful way to start off a night in Melbourne.
It’s so pleasing to hear that our front line staff went that extra step and found change for your tram fare – being in an unfamiliar city and not having the right money for transport can be so frustrating.
We look forward to seeing you again soon, hopefully for another great weekend of football!
Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt Melbourne recently for a conference that my company was sponsoring. The staff were very friendly, helpful and efficient from greeting me upon my arrival, looking after my luggage, checking me in quickly and then delivering my luggage to the room. Room service staff were always friendly and helpful on the other end of the phone (thank you for recommending the chocolate cake - it was divine!) and the room was immaculately cleaned during the day. Would definitely recommend and will definitely be returning again soon.

Room Tip: Try the chocolate cake on the room service menu - delicious!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Dear nicnacc
Thanks for your kind comments and we’re glad that your experience at Grand Hyatt Melbourne was friendly, professional and efficient. There’s nothing quite like the ultimate indulgence after a hard day’s work – relaxing in the comfort of our luxe rooms and ordering Room Service!
We can’t wait to welcome you back for business or leisure.
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

I did not get that 5 star feeling.( a lot of noise from other rooms) great view from room nice size room (mattress sag down one side lol) bathroom a 5 star .the swipe cards in lifts were not working so peopole getting on and off at different floors (very funny)very dark lobby, good position in city ,

Room Tip: high floor good view at night
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
GrandHyattMelbourne, General Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Dear nhaga41
We appreciate your honest feedback as we are dedicated to delivering a 5-star premium experience to our guests at Grand Hyatt Melbourne and strive to improve where we fall short. It is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

I stayed here back in 2010 with my mum and daughter, and we all enjoyed the Hyatt.

I managed to get a WotMysteryDeal on Wotif for $199 (room only) and was very happy it turned out to be at the Hyatt again, this time as a trip with my husband for his birthday.

Valet parking was great, and check-in swift and friendly. They had noted my request for a high floor and we were on floor 32, and we were also granted a late checkout of 1pm which was very nice.

The Hyatt has now been fully refurbished, and the room was lovely - I especially like the the fact they have the corner lounge and table. The bathrooms are pure luxury - all marble and fully appointed.

As with most five star hotels, it is the little touches that make it great. Two complimentary bottles of water are included per room, and things like a nesrpesso machine, lovely T2 flavours of tea, a drawer of full stemware glasses for wine, champange and spirits, and bathrobes and slippers, are all great touches.

A very comfy king size bed, and my favourite thing is that the window dressings are layered with a pull down blind and proper blockout curtains - my hubby and I had a lovely sleep in the next morning with the annoying light leaks that many hotels have that wake you up at the crack of dawn.

The lobby area is gorgeous, and the hotel is really well located for walking to indulge in shopping or going down to south bank, and easy access to trams.

We enjoyed pre-dinner drinks at Ru-Co downstairs before venturing out to dine for the evening.

My only feedback would be that the rooms are VERY noisy from internal wall noises for plumbing in adjoining rooms which was annoying, and something I don't expect in a 5* hotel - I had thought this might have been isolated when I stayed there last time due to the renovations, but is still is an issue. As such, I would not be happy about paying any more than what I did for just the basic room.

But still, we had a lovely weekend, and another enjoyable trip to Melbourne!

Room Tip: Request a room on the higher floors, away from the lifts!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear LeeL96
What a glowing review and what a fabulous surprise!
Grand Hyatt Melbourne has come a long way in the wake of a massive refurbishment and is proud of all its luxe trimmings. It’s often the little things that make such a difference from the fluffy slippers to the late check-out.
However we appreciate your reference to the noise levels and will have this further investigated by our Engineering team.

In the meantime, we hope you choose us again for your next dalliance in Melbourne and perhaps save room for our Grand Afternoon Tea – it’s well worth it!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012 via mobile

Considering the price and the star rating of this hotel, I was extremely disappointed in the customer service. Staff were unwilling to help make my stay a comfortable one, the room was nice but not clean, and even after I had checked out and needed assistance regarding billing information, staff were clearly untrained and unwilling to help. The next week I stayed at the langham in southbank & their service was outstanding. Staff went to every length to ensure my stay was comfortable, in fact they went above and beyond. It really put into perspective what should be expected at these high class hotels and the Grand Hyatt is a hotel I would recommend NOT to stay in. I wrote a complaint to management and never recieved a response.

• Stayed May 2012
GrandHyattMelbourne, General Manager at Grand Hyatt Melbourne, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
Dear kmg9,

Thank you for your candid feedback.

Being a 5-star hotel we are responsible to deliver a premium experience for every guest at every touchpoint.

We are most disappointed to hear that not once but on numerous occasions you received second-rate service. Your feedback is taken most seriously as we endeavour to provide a premium first-class experience and assure you that the lapse in service is not indicative of our standards.

Been to Grand Hyatt Melbourne? Share your experiences!