The Best Western Riverside was a big disappointment. We were three adults, all retirees, well travelled with a pretty fair idea of what to expect from a four star city centre hotel.. The main problems were as follows : -
Our Apartment 1743 is a two bedroom unit (with a made up rollaway bed, unused by us). There is one toilet in the only shared bathroom. No lock on the bathroom door which did not even shut properly. Quite embarrassing for the friend with us. The wash hand basin is cracked. There are shampoo/conditioner/shower gel dispensers over the bath, no problem there but the ladies couldn't get anything out of them. There were none of the usual bathroom amenities apart from several plastic (sanitary?) bags - not even a small bar of soap for the wash basin.
We were provided with one face cloth, one bath mat and one hand towel for 3 adults - bath towels were adequate. The deficiency was rectified - it took two tries - after my husband went down 17 floors to Reception. He had to go all the way down because ................
The one telephone in the apartment was dead as a dodo. Reported of course but no action. This could be quite a serious safety issue in the event of an emergency especially on the 17th floor.
There were other minor niggles, but these two are the main issues. A four star two bedroom apartment should surely have at least a separate toilet and bathroom with properly shutting, even if not locking, doors. The property description merely says shower over bath which is right enough but not the whole story. Reception said that all apartments had this configuration but your reviews appear to say otherwise ? And a working telephone on the 17th floor is surely a basic requirement these days.
The apartment gave the impression of being tired, but to be fair, being upgraded by degrees. However not acceptable for letting as a four star deal right now.
The location is on Flinders St opposite the Crown Casino as stated. But in between is the Aquarium, the road, dual carriageway with trams down the middle, the railway and the river bridge all quite busy and noisy even on a high floor. There is indeed a tram stop right outside which is useful. The building itself is quite old and is shared with offices and also facilities used for teaching purposes by several local schools, so plenty of students around during the day. Not a worry in itself, but useful information to have.
All in all we had regarded Best Western as a good quality reliable hotel chain having used them in the USA. But this experience has caused us to rethink. Maybe a one night stopover is not a priority for the company, but I reckon first impressions do count and this is how reputations are made.... and lost.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Year remodeled - 2008/9. Best Western Riverside Serviced Apartments are located in the CBD of Melbourne and offer two types of accommodations. Riverside annex apartments described as the annex rooms when booking are located on the corner of Flinders and Highlander Lane situated on the first, second and third floors, just near our reception in Highlander Lane. All apartments in this building are one bedroom. Both riverside and the annex rooms are conveniently located at the historic and entertainment end of the city, just minutes walk to crown casino, Melbourne exhibition and convention centers, aquarium, Southbank restaurants, observation deck and Etihad Stadium. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Priceline, TripOnline SA and Odigeo so you can book your BEST WESTERN Riverside Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Riverside Apartments Hotel Melbourne
- Best Western Melbourne
- Best Western Hotel Melbourne