“Good location, great view” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Riverside Apartments

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN Riverside Apartments to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Riverside Apartments
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   474 Flinders Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #107 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Cairo, Egypt
“Good location, great view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I shared a two bedroom apartment with 3 adult family members. The check in was good although there was a little confusion over the parking but was quickly sorted out. We were very impressed when we walked in the room. It was spacious, very clean, amazing view from the 15th floor and everything you could need for a longer stay. We couldn't close the door in the second bedroom because of the bed, which could be unacceptable for some occupants.
We were able to catch up on our laundry after 3 days on the Great Ocean Road, but beware of the hotel supplied laundry detergent - unfortunately we ruined my son's cargo shorts and my jeans, which we only discoverd a few days later. We had problems with the in room internet service, speed was vertually non existent and I tried to use the hotel computer in the lobby after midnight because I had some business to finish, but the screen was locked and I went to the front desk and called for attention but seems there was nobody around. I went back upstairs and called by phone and the night clerk answered and I took a new password and username but it was still way too slow. I complained next morning on checkout and instead of being charged for 3 hours internet I was only charged for one.
Loved the location, close to South Bank and walking distance to the shopping area and would stay here again if I was to visit Melbourne.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Steven B, Public Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Riverside Apartments, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay.

I'm glad you found the apartment comfortable and clean. The views from some apartments are terrific. I'm sorry you had problems with the internet. We have asked our IT guy to correct this problem. The free internet in the lobby should be up to speed for your next stay.
We hope to see you again soon.

118 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed in a 3 bedroom apartment. In total there were 6 adults and 3 children (2 of whom were in portacots). The apartment fit us all comfortably (1 single bed was in the living area which we did not mind). That apartments were spacious with 2 bathrooms and kitchenette. The location would be hard to beat and we would definately stay again with friends or family groups.

The only downsides were that the apartment is upstairs which may not suit everyone (especially if you bring you're own portacot or have heavy luggage). Staff were helpful by putting a child safety gate at the top of the stairs as they knew we had small children however even with the gate there is some risk with babies crawling or children climbing on the railing around the stairs area. The gaps are very wide and our baby could possibly crawl under it if we didn't watch him all the time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Steven B, Public Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Riverside Apartments, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you for your thoughts regarding your recent stay.
I'm glad you had a terrific time and enjoyed the spacious apartment.
The child proof gate and perspex sheets over the railings make the apartment more child friendly and we are always looking at new ways of improving the comfort of guests so thank you for your feedback.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

I booked the riverside apartments through Hotwire, so we didn't even know where we were staying until the morning of check in. I booked the hotel based on the four star rating and amenities. What a mistake. I am a pretty reasonable person and don't ask for much in a hotel, except for the staff to be friendly and the room to be clean. Unfortunately I did not see either.
The room was very shabby with rips in the sofa cushion covers. The carpets had stains and there was even a black foot print on one of the pillows. The windows were filthy, which is understandable when you're on the 15th floor.However, I didn't expect the windows out to the balcony to be covered in grime and bird poo. The room needed a good clean and gave you icky feeling. When I spoke to the staff about the state of the room, they simply shrugged and said they would pass it onto management. They were very disinterested and rude. I thought parking was included in the room rate and when I enquired about this, the staff member scoffed and laughed. She explained it was $25 per night and good luck finding something cheaper in the city. Although the hotel was in a good location, I would not stay here again. There are lots of other options in Melbourne and I would advise using them!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Steven B, Public Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Riverside Apartments, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Thank you for your feed back regarding your recent stay.

My apologies for your feeling our apartments did not live up to your expectations. I know our staff work hard to make our guests feel comfortable during their time with us.

I hope you will allow us a second chance to prove your stay was an exception rather than the rule.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Stayed in the Annex, got a great rate as the life is being repaired, and so you have to use the stairs and come in through a grotty entrance. All good, as this was what was advertised.

Excellent for location, value, cleanliness and service. Quality of rooms is average and need a refresh, but wasn't expecting more.

Quite noisy, we were woken up at 2am with a rubbish truck (or something). The aircon was very noisy and couldn't sleep with it on. Desperately needs servicing as it was 30 degrees.

Bed very soft, a bit tired too.

But, as before, exactly as advertised and didn't expect more at the price.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Steven B, Public Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Riverside Apartments, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Thank you for posting comments regarding your recent stay with us.
We hope to have the lift up and working by mid March but in the meantime please take advantage again of the great rates for these 1 bedroom apartments.
Marlboro, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I am an American visiting her sister and her husband who live in Victoria. We are all in our late 60's. She planned a few days for us in central Melbourne and booked 4 nights for us. My sister was told the room had been newly refurbished. But the furniture was shabby and one of the bedrooms was almost a closet. The windows did not open and things in the bathroom were broken.
However, if this was the only problem, we may have remained. The main problem was that our car was a few inches taller than the recommended height and we could not fit in the car park. We were told we had to find alternate parking which was a very inconvenient distance away. The cost for this parking was $100 dollars nightly. Worse than this, although they allowed us to pull into the service entrance, there was no one, or even a dolly to help us lug or luggage to the room. My brother-in-law was asked to move quickly out of the area. When we politely asked for a phone book to help us relocate to a hotel that could accommodate us, we were told none was available.
The final indignity came as my brother in law checked out. The service door was locked shut and we had to walk a further distance with our luggage with much hardship and difficulty. My sister was embarrassed with our treatment. I was shocked that there was never a thought or at last a word of concession toward us. From a business standpoint, it was ridiculous. Fortunately we found superior accommodations in the Grand Mecure apartments, where the staff was friendly, helpful, and author asking, helped carry or luggage.
Zero stars for zero performance at the Riverside.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Steven B, Public Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Riverside Apartments, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for posting comments regarding your arrival at Best Western Riverside Apartments.

Unfortunately your 4WD with high roof rack was unable to safely access either our car park or the public car park with our building.
Both car parks have a standard vechicle height limit. High vehicles attempting to enter pose a real threat to public safety as ceiling fire sprinklers when knocked will automatically flood the area and call the fire brigade.
A high vehicle car park located 100 meteres away was suggested as an alternative. You chose not to pay their fees or the potentail council parking fine had you left your vechicle where you parked it.
During check-in your vehicle was parked in our hotel driveway for a considerable time, at least 2 hours and other drivers were inconvienced. Our staff asked you politely to please move your car more than once.

We regret you chose not to stay with us overnight and hope your holiday in Australia was positive overall.
Melbourne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed here recently and were suprised about how large the apartment was. It was a funny set up. After checking in with reception you then had to leave and walk down the lane and around onto Flinders Lane to get into the apartments which were not actually attached to the main hotel? Odd? Anyway after going up a dodgy lift we were suprised to see the room was quite large and looked quite appealing.

On further inspection however it was evident that it had not been cleaned properly and the shower had not been serviced at all. There were pubic hairs all over the tiles. I suspect it probably came off the filthy sponge or towel used to clean it.. Horrific and a total put off. I couldnt stop gagging. From this point on I found it hard to enjoy our stay. I could not drink from the glasses.

I must say though the pillow and the bed were extremely comfortable and it was a good location. Obviously it is almost on the corner of Kings street, so you have to be prepared for the noise, however it wasnt too bad considering the night clubs around.

It would have been great had it not been spoilt by the unclean shower.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review Best Western Riverside Apartments.

From your description you stayed at our annex property, The Highlander. We have two properties, Riverside Apartments (where reception is located in Highlander lane) and The Highlander located on the corner of Flinders lane and Highlander lane.

I'm pleased to hear you had a good nights sleep and I apologise for the sight of the shower. The grouting in all the showers is being replaced and unfortuantely yours was one of the last apartments to have the shower renovated. The silicone is discoloured which gives a grey appearance. Hopefully you will stay with us again and you will notice the fresh appearance of the showers.

The Highlander lift is being replaced as we speak and this will also improve your experience.

We hope to see you again soon.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We are a group of 7 women who stay at the hotel each year during the tennis. The hotel is perfectly located to get the tram to the tennis, enjoy the walk home along the river and enjoy the city. Staff are very helpful - the receptionists all went out of their way to meet all of our requests. They did this efficiently and nothing seemed too much trouble. We have already booked in for next year. The apartments are clean and readily accommodated our group with good kitchen facilities enabling us to enjoy a relaxing drink and meal after the tennis.

Room Tip: If you a group ask for the adjoining rooms on the 17th floor.