“Suits me fine” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #115 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Perth, Australia
“Suits me fine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

A hotel that has been around for quite a while but the rooms, especially the bathrooms, have been updated to good standard. OK it's not your top class place but definitely good value for money. I've stayed in a side room which is a reasonable size but a very small balcony and in an end room which has a larger balcony but smaller room. For a business trip it suits me fine. The air conditioning can be adjusted to suit but the extract system is a bit noisy to the extent that you need to close the bathroom door to reduce it to a reasonable sound level. They have new bar fridges in some rooms, the type with the glass front door and which is obtrusive with the light on at night. I covered mine up and I noted that housekeeping had turned the light off the next day. A good sign of attentive service I think. The beds are double size rather than the normal queen size which could be a bit cozy for couples used to the roomier size. The restaurant is good with a limited but very good food. The breakfasts are good with a wide selection but the eggs can be cold if there is a small turnaround I find. The staff are very friendly, attentive and helpful in every respect. For a business trip, centrally placed, reasonably priced hotel in Melboirne it gets my vote. I have and will continue to be back.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

Save your money.... The room we booked wasn't available so we down graded.. One lift wasn't working when we arrived, we went out for dinner, to return late to NO lifts working.. We were on the 16th floor... I made it to the ninth in heels hen they finally got the one lift working. But the bar fridge in the room was glass fronted with a light that stayed on ALL night... Just annoying. The bath had paint flaking from it... As for the rip off breakfast... We were one of the first for breakfast around 7 7.30... The buffet was cold... Not cool... But half cooked fried eggs cold. Bacon cold.. Un appealing at 22 bucks a head.. The staff didn't come near us to clear the plates, just stood around !!! Self serve coffee, I should have saved the money and stopped at Maccas on the way home, it would have been as bad but a fith if the price... Do yourself a favour... Stay anywhere else. Not even a value hotel :(

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We were so disgusted we didn't stay there and have had trouble getting a refund. Although reception was friendly the hotel rooms were not worth the money charged. We asked for balcony with a view, we got a dark dirty balcony with a narrow gap between buildings and told that was standard. We also asked if they had king size beds, they told us they did but when we checked into the room it was an old double bed and was dirty.

• Stayed March 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Travelled with a large group to Melbourne recently and most of us were unhappy with the hotel. The bathrooms were modern and had been updated. However, the mattress had stains on it, the towels as well and I got stuck in the elevator. The carpet had a huge stain on it in the shape of a CSI body and a very bad odor. At first the staff was listless and unconcerned. Once I checked out they expressed interest in my comments.

Stayed March 2013
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear GBK,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of your stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Melbourne.

During your group stay, hotel management were made aware of a number of issues raised by your group and senior hotel management and senior staff from the housekeeping department inspected all the rooms occupied by the group (myself included) to check what we could see to be deficient in the presentation and standard.

Checking my notes from that inspection, I see that one room did have some "slight discoloration" to the carpet. This room's carpet had been recently steam cleaned after the stain was discovered by housekeeping, but as it had not been completely removed the hotel has now replaced the carpet in this room.

I am sorry to read of your dissatisfaction with your stay at our hotel, and I hope you enjoyed your remaining time in Australia.

Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

A superficial refurb of some of the rooms doesn't dishuise that this hoel is quite old. Slow lifts, small bathrooms, poor entertainment amongst other things suggest more money needs to be spent. Avoid adjoining rooms if at all possible as the soundproofing around the adjoining doors is woefully inadequate!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear BALSydney,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Melbourne.

The hotel is currently refurbishing 100% of its room stock so I would feel it unfair to consider this "superficial". In the Executive Rooms like the one in which you stayed all the soft and hard furnishings, the curtains, the bed, the electrical items have all been replaced. The only area untouched in this round of refurbishment was the bathrooms, which were completely redone in 2009.

I agree that the hotel is not a brand new building, with the construction dating back to the early 1970's, and the structure therefore is unable to be modified significantly in this regard (such as the size of the bathrooms). However where changes can be made they have been/will be in the near future.

The lifts were completely replaced in 2007, the entertainment was improved through installation of new LCD televisions and a further upgrade to our movie system is scheduled for this year.

I note your comments regarding sound proofing in the adjoining rooms and will investigate this following your feedback. The hotel is constructed from double brick, so the interconnecting rooms are the only rooms in the hotel which have a break in the wall which could cause noise inconvenience. There are certainly things which can be done to lessen the noise travel between rooms and I will endeavor to ensure that his is improved. Thank you for letting us know.

Once again thank you for your feedback, and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Geneva
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed at the hotel one week on a superior room. The room was new, clean and nice.The view was quite nice and it was calm even on the fifth floor.

I loved the roof top swimming pool. It was not really crowded and usually clean. One day the pool was not clean and we advised the reception and the next day the pool was cleaned.

The staff was friendly.

The only downside was the cleaning staff who did not clean our room but just made up the bed and the food in the room was not good.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Gloupn,

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel over your week long visit with us, and appreciated the newly refurbished Superior Room in which you stayed. These rooms have only been finished in the past month or so, and we believe that they are an excellent product in the Melbourne 4 star market.

It's also good to see that you enjoyed the rooftop pool facility that the hotel offers. The pool is cleaned daily by our maintenance department and monitored throughout the day if it needs to be skimmed or cleaned (being in the open air sometimes it gets leaves, etc. falling in it). I am glad to read that after you reported to our staff that some cleaning was required, this was done.

In regards to housekeeping, I am sorry to read that you felt they did not adequately service your room over your stay. I have forwarded your feedback to the Executive Housekeeper for her response. The hotel has just added additional supervisory checks on room servicing, so that the standard and consistency of the mid-stay services in improved. My expectation is that this additional supervision will ensure that such issues like your experience will not be continuing.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel when you next choose to visit Melbourne.

Stirling, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

People are way too quick to thrash a place and i thought I would give this place a go. We had a friendly valet parking assistant after our long trip advise us and then
Check in was smooth just as early morning to check out. Very friendly smiley faces and helpful at all times. I really wanted to like this Hotel after all the negative reviews and I did except......The bathroom had mould where the bath meets the shower and our lounge chairs had seen better days more akin to hostel type accommodation..Its constantly being upgraded and I really think its suitable for most people at a very pleasing price

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Chancellor Melbourne? Share your experiences!