“Great value for Central CBD ~ Melbourne” 4 of 5 stars

Grand Chancellor Melbourne
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   131 Lonsdale St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #115 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Great value for Central CBD ~ Melbourne”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

After the usual searches for best value, central position, ticking all the boxes, reading reviews, Grand Chancellor Melbourne stood out. I was a little concerned about some reviews claiming that it was a tired hotel, in need of improvements but value for money won the day.
I was reminded tha I had stay there before and recalled the limited view but also recalled the spacious room. For an overnight stay the view is not an issue. However this booking was to be celebrating a special occasion so I lashed out and booked a Superior Room. The addition cost still rated as good vale in comparison to other CBD hotels. This booking guaranteed full Lonsdale View... which was wonderful and exciting. The room was a good size with comfortable furniture. The bathroom featured a spa (a little small & not all jets worked) and great shower...Supporting a handheld shower head & a huge Rain shower head which was a treat.
The bonus for me was the heated roof swimming pool. An absolute treat. After a late dinner we decided to check out the pool. It was so tempting with the wonderful city views and the warmth of the pool that we dashed back to our room to change into our swimmer. ( the room supplied cosy robes)
The breakfast was average, there were long delays by the 3 x toaster, this caused guest unnessary delays, also burnt smell of toast. When it was finallly my turrn, i had to stop a young lady from using her fork to retrieve her toast!!!! It surprised me that they did not have a commercial toaster machine that rolls out your toast. Also the coffee machine had delays... Sometime the percollated coffee is fine in a morning rush. I would have like to see the food, drinks, condiments labelled. Limited choice of hot food... a personal favorite on a special weekend for me would of been some hash browns / potatoes...none to be seen...(certainly not a show stopper)
To finish off...we found the staff friendly and very helpful.
Overall a lovely weekend a vey good hotel...great value for a CBD stay,

Room Tip: Superior rooms treat you to grat city views.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Dear Docker,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Melbourne. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your most recent stay with us, and I hope your special occasion went off without a hitch!

The Superior Room that you stayed in is certainly of a good size, and the bathrooms are also spacious and provide some nice appointments. Actually, we are in the process of refurbishing these rooms again, and will further enhance the quality and feel of them over the coming months. On your return visit to the hotel I think you will notice some significant improvements.

In regards to the breakfast, I am sorry to read that you found it to be an average experience. The buffet can get quite busy some mornings and the staff do their best to ensure that items are stocked up so there is no wait on food items. We actually chose the toasters on the buffet for the speed at which they operate. In our testing we found that the old hotel conveyor belt toasters were actually pretty slow, and also not that effective meaning often guests were having to put their bread through twice before it was adequately toasted. In regards to other guests and their usage of the equipment, unfortunately we have to rely on a certain degree of common sense, and I thank you for helping that guest prevent herself from what could have been an unfortunate incident!

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to seeing you back at the hotel in the future.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Great value when booking last minute. Room neat and clean with all basic requirements. King sized bed was ordinary and a new mattress that doesn't slope to one side is needed. Wifi and an extra power point to plug the phone in would add to the room. Bathroom fine.

Close to Chinatown, many great eateries, and the theatre district.

Will stay again.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Shelbord,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Melbourne.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and that you found the room to be neat and clean.

I note your comments in regards to the King Size Bed in the room, and can assure you that new replacement beds for these rooms are on order, and will be replaced shortly once delivered. At the hotel we understand the importance of a comfortable night's sleep to our guests and are replacing the beds as quickly as possible as a result.

Once again thank you for your feedback, and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

pretty poor hotel given the price per night. Very noisy due to lack of double glazing....no Wifi anywhere in the hotel which really is a must have in any hotel used by business people. Would have liked to see a safe in the room for personal valuables.

I won't be staying there again

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Dear Paul,

I note your comments in regards to the lack of WiFi in the hotel currently, and I can assure you that this is an issue that the hotel is aware of. We are currently finalising negotiations with our guest internet service provider to upgrade the hotel to WiFi and hope the installation for this to be completed as soon as possible. The hotel understands that WiFi access is very important to our corporate guests, however the age and construction of our building has complicated the installation process which has delayed how quickly we would have liked the WiFi solution to be rolled out.

In regards to the in-room safe, we do not supply these in rooms but we do have a safety deposit box at the front desk where guests are welcome to store their belongings safely with no charge. We believe this option provides a greater level of security for our guests, and also comes with the added benefit of the larger loss liability as per the Innkeepers Act.

Once again, thank you for your review and I hope you had safe travels back to New Zealand.

Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Outrageous price due to the AFL final weekend.
Small Boxy 'Executive Room' which had a 3rd bed in when we checked in, leaving absolutely no room to move. Very quickly removed by hotel staff. Balcony was small with no seating, table or anything and is overlooked by surrounding rooms.
Location is superb for theatres and city centre. Very helpful staff, and good parking although expensive at $20 night.
Room was very small, and the shower was scalding hot, which took a long time to adjust. It would be very easy to get burnt by the shower if not careful, and a real risk for children.
Restaurant was good, and the Saturday Steak Special was excellent. Buffet breakfast average, and typical. Even the coffee is self service.
Not npleasant, but would try somwhere else next time

Room Tip: 1601 has a terrible outlook. Clean, small, shower took a great deal of adjustment to get he right te...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear John,

I am glad to read you enjoyed the interactions with our staff and you found the restaurant food to be of good quality. I am also glad to read you found the room to be clean and that the location was convenient to you.

In regards to the other issues you raised in your review, I have investigated them on your behalf. The rates you paid are significantly higher than the normal rates the hotel charges, and this was due to the dates you stayed were over a significant special event in Melbourne. The AFL Grand Final is arguably the busiest night of the year for Melbourne hotels and the rates that we and the other hotels in the market charge are reflective of that. No matter the date or the level of demand, at Hotel Grand Chancellor Melbourne we always pride ourselves on being competitive to the market price, and providing good value for money. I can assume that is one of the reasons why you chose to stay with us over other hotels in Melbourne that weekend.

Similarly, the cost that the hotel charges for parking is periodically checked to ensure that is competitive within the marketplace. From our research, we find $20 per night is a very competitive price for hotel parking, especially when our parking service is "Semi valet' when the attendant can park the car for you. However, I am sorry that you found it to be too expensive.

I am sorry to read that you found the size of the room to be insufficient and the outlook to be disappointing. Our Executive Rooms are not the largest rooms in the hotel, and some (like 1601 where you stayed) are towards the back of the building. Our hotel was built in the early 70's and when constructed was the only tall building on the block. The building was designed to take in the views up and down Lonsdale Street so many of the rooms are along the side of the building. Unfortunately as Melbourne has developed, more tall buildings have been constructed alongside the hotel, which now restricts the outlook from some of the rooms.

In regards to the water issues you faced, I have reported this to the Maintenance department to check. Due to the age of the building, sometimes the water pressure is not as high as we would like it, which can cause issues with temperature control. We are currently investing in some further pumps to assist in this area, which will resolve these issues permanently.

Thank you again for your review, and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel when you next travel to Melbourne.

Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Close to transport, city shops, Carlton supermarket and eateries. Rooms are a little old-fashioned but comfortable and cozy. Handy having a balcony to check what the weather's like outside before venturing down. There is a huge swimming pool, outdoors and heated but very cold when i was there. There were a few minor problems with the room but I got very prompt and cheerful service when I asked for help

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Maid Maria,
I am very glad to read that you enjoyed your time with us and found our rooms comfortable. I am sorry to read that Melbourne didn't put on some warm weather for you while you were here, so you couldn't enjoy the heated pool on the roof, but hopefully on your return visit the weather will be a bit more kind. The pool is always heated to about 27 degrees, but unfortunately that doesn't make it any warmer once you climb out!
I am very glad to hear that you found our service to be efficient and friendly, which is just the way it should be.
In regards to your comments regarding the rooms being a little old-fashioned, I am pleased to advise that these rooms are scheduled for some refurbishment in the coming months, including replacement of the furniture and upgrading of some other items like carpets and curtains. This will certainly bring the rooms to an even better standard.
Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

The Hotel Grand Chancellor in Melbourne offers a clean and comfortable room in a great location--right by China Town, near public transportation, within walking distance of many great places to see. The staff is competent and friendly but the front desk seemed under-staffed during my stay (long waits to check in and out, etc.). I did not try the restaurant.

I had two major concerns about this hotel. First, internet access is ridiculously expensive--more than $30 per night! There's no wireless, either--you will need to be connected to your computer via ethernet cable. This isn't the end of the world, but it does mean that you can't use your iPhone or other wireless Internet device, and you can't work comfortably with your laptop on the bed or any other place other than where the cable is. If you are traveling for pleasure, all this might not bother you, but if you are a business traveler who needs internet access (as I was) it was very inconvenient--and way too expensive.

The other concern is that the front entrance only has stairs (no ramp) and there's no bellman. Unfortunately, I happened to be traveling with a very heavy suitcase and had recently injured my knee, so getting the suitcase up and down the stairs was more troublesome than in other places I've stayed! If you are a guest who uses a wheelchair, I'm not quite sure what the hotel has available for accessibility, so you'd have to check with them.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear FMD,

I am glad to read you enjoyed our rooms and found our staff to be friendly and courteous. I understand you found the desk to be a bit busy at times, and this can be the case during peak check-in and check-out times due to the busy nature of the property. Our staff certainly do their utmost to ensure we serve our guests as quickly and efficiently as possible.

In regards to your comments about the internet service the hotel offers, this is an issue we are well aware of and are in the process of negotiating with suppliers to implement a fully wireless solution to the hotel as soon as possible. Due to the double brick construction of the building, it makes it more complicated for our suppliers to install and we are working through those complications at the moment. We anticipate wireless being installed in the next few months.

Thank you for your comments regarding the front stairs of the hotel. This is also an issue we are aware of, but due to the design of the hotel we are unable to provide a ramp with a gradual enough gradient for it to be usable. There is a ramp at the front of the hotel however which goes down to the hotel's car park. From there guests are able to access the lobby through the elevator. This is generally the access advice we also provide to our guests in wheelchairs.

Thank you again for your comments and we wish you safe travels in future.

Timaru NZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

For 5 years this hotel has been our hotel of choice when staying in Melbourne For value you are treated too a perfect stay Try having a dip in the rooftop pool at 10.30pm on an August night when the outside temp is 9 sheer bliss The hotel is located 5min walk from Swanson St or 2 min from the main supermaket, bottle store, or food court What more do you need/

Room Tip: We use Wotif and get the rooms on the higher floors. The spa bath rooms are not good value as the sp...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
hgcmelbourne, Manager at Grand Chancellor Melbourne, responded to this review, September 9, 2012
Dear Wazdot,

I am very glad to read that you enjoy your regular stays at the hotel, and that you find our location convenient. I agree, that where the hotel is situated is perfect for all that Melbourne has to offer, and the local conveniences are also very useful!

In regards to the room tip you provided, the spa rooms are actually scheduled for a complete refurbishment in the coming months, so on your return you may wish to consider that room type again, as after the update they will be very nice rooms indeed.

Executive Assistant Manager

Been to Grand Chancellor Melbourne? Share your experiences!