“Excellent hotel, best customer service I have experienced in a long time” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels

Save Saved
You added Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels to your Saves list
Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   16 Spencer St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Ranked #59 of 170 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Excellent hotel, best customer service I have experienced in a long time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2010

After staying at the Pensione Hotel Sydney which I really enjoyed I decided to give the Melbourne property a try.
Getting to the hotel is easy as. I was travelling alone and always get a little worried with the transfers to and from the hotels. But you catch the shuttle straight from the airport (skybus I think) which drops you at Spencer street station which is a 5 mins walk from the hotel.

From the moment I walked in I was amazed, The entrance reminding me of a 5 star hotel, not a boutique. There is really funky bar at the entrance which has a excellent happy hour, prefect for pre drinks or even a night out..
I arrived early but the staff were able to check me in straight away. And were so amazingly friendly. They even ungraded me free of charge!
My room was AMAZING!! I slept like a baby.
Yes the bathroom was a little on the small side, but not overly small there was certainly more than enough room to shower in. Im not sure what all the people on here are complaining about. I spend a max of 10 mins in the bathroom and I dont need a whole lot of space I am not going to use...
Anywho onto more important stuff than "bathrooms"
I picked all the staffs brains on what to do and how to get around and they were so helpful! They booked a few tours for me and recommended some great places to eat.
They are in walking distance to the whole city.

I will be definitely be returning :)

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

I booked the triple room at the pensione with the summer deal - meaning I was paying $170 a night, but at least i got an upgrade. WRONG. When we arrived they told us that they had overbooked the hotel and were giving us two separate rooms - meaning we had been downgraded. Not only that, but we were separated. They didn't even try and make up for it, but instead just argued with us. On top of it all, when my mother rang they told her a completely different story about some rooms short circuiting...we were never told this. Worst customer service i've ever experienced. We walked right out of there and went to the Crown plaza for $10 more a night...which is 5 stars as opposed to this dump

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
PHMGM, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, January 20, 2010
Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately, at the time of your scheduled arrival the hotel experienced an unforeseeable electrical issue, putting various rooms throughout the hotel out of order. This affected the triple room allocated to you. Pensione Hotel Melbourne prides itself on its customer service and problem solving and it is our main priority to ensure all our guests are comfortable and enjoy their time here with us. Having no other triple rooms available, the staff offered to provide two rooms, ensuring that these rooms were in close proximity to each other. I believe there was some miscommunication here, and I am disappointed that you chose not to stay with us. Should you require accommodation in Melbourne’s CBD in the future, please feel free to contact me directly, to ensure that we can look after you in any way at all.
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2009

Stayed here recently for 3 nights on a post Christmas shopping trip to Melbourne. We booked our room on a last minute hotels website about 20 days in advance and got a standard un-renovated double for about $90 a night. We went with no expectations having read the good and bad reviews on here. Also we paid $90 a night so unlike many others on here who don't seem to understand that when you pay $90 a night you're not getting the Hilton, we knew sort of what to expect. We have stayed in great hotels like Hiltons etc and also really, really horrible hotels all over the world and this, for the price represented great value for money. We would not have got nicer accommodation in Melbourne for this price, I know because I checked out every option.

We were on the ground floor, which I actually really liked, no mucking around with lifts was great. Our room was actually the disabled access room so was a little larger to accommodate a wheelchair, as was the bathroom and shower. We aren't in wheelchairs so I guess we were lucky to have what I'm assuming is a slightly larger than normal room. No complaints, the room was clean and tidy and nicely presented, we were pleasantly surprised as we had no expectation. The website was in no way misleading about the hotels room either as some have suggested.

We had breakfast in the cafe, which was really nice. Very, very convenient to Southern Cross Station and about a 20-30 min walk to Burke Street Mall and the shopping centres. Tram stop out the front for St. Kilda, which takes about 20 mins down to the beach. Guests also get free access to the local Fitness First gym for free. Had I stayed longer I would have used this option.

Most of the people I saw coming in and out were in their twenties which gives a good indication of the market that this hotel is catering towards - the stylish but budget conscious traveller.

I really have no complaints or problems whatsoever to report, the staff were all friendly and helpful and our stay was great. For us though we spent most of our time shopping and it's a bit of a walk to the city shopping districts, however with the train station so close it's really easy to access Chapel Street and Chadstone.

If you want cheap rates but expect a 5 star deluxe resort then Pensione is not for you but if you want cheap rates and an adequate but clean and comfy room without all the bells and whistles then this is the place for you!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Hertfordshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2009

Don't be fooled by the glossy website and marketing, this is a badly maintained 3 star hotel, you would be better off in the backpackers next door.

My partner and I stayed in the Pensione in Melbourne while visiting some friends for Christmas. We booked a Petite Double as we planned to spend very little time in the hotel and this was fortunate. The room was extraordinary small, only big enough to be sold as a single.

Although we expected the room to be smaller than average we at least expected a standard size double bed, I am only 5"1 and my feet were hanging out the end of the bed!

The en-suite was tiny and taking a shower resulted in the toilet, miniature sink and everything else in the bathroom getting soaked in water. The fixtures and fittings were badly maintained and room was poorly made up in the morning.

For this price there are far better hotels in Melbourne.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Positioned in the heart of Melbourne’s CBD area, Pensione Hotel Melbourne is a small boutique hotel aimed to accommodate guests from all demographics. Although the Pensione Hotel has been specifically designed to target the budget conscious traveller, it by far offers services and amenities well above that of a backpacker’s hostel.

The hotel has a range of different room types available and our Petite rooms are the smaller of our selection of Double rooms. However, all our Double rooms are fitted with a normal size bed according to Australian Standards.

With regards to the bathrooms, management are currently investigating alternatives that would be more functional for our guests as we understand that the size of the bathrooms can cause some of our guests’ discomfort. Unfortunately, the original foundations of the building itself leave us with very few options. Our front office team are always here to help our guests, so if notified, I have confidence that they would assist you in any way possible.

We are always looking to improve the hotel to ensure all our guests feel at home and I would like to thank you for your feedback. I hope that you may choose to stay with us again in the future, in which case we can ensure you are allocated the best room to suit your needs.
wellington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2009

Pensione Boutique Hotel Melbourne is a luxury modern hotel and we enjoyed staying there. We liked its design and we enjoyed its tidiness and modern facilities. We found it through Easy Click web site and immediately booked it. It certainly was a good choice.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2009

Room a bit compact but up to date & clean. Good location for Melbourne Conference Centre, main bus/rail station (and airport bus) & city centre trams etc. Staff very helpful. Restaurant is for breakfast only, bar/lounge area for evening use.

Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2009

Traveling with my boyfriend, we needed a room close to Southern Cross railway station as we had to train to catch very early in the morning and this fitted the bill perfect. Just a few minutes stroll away from the station, this hotel is strategically located near many of the attractions like the Melbourne Aquarium and Crown Entertainment Plaza.The pubs around the hotel may be a plus for some people, but as we were not really into drinking and partying, it did make the walk back to the hotel late at night a bit dodgy.

The room was surprisingly large, however we suspected this may be due to the fact we had a corner unit and was larger. We stayed in the furnished double room. The deco of the room was nothing to shout about, quite standard in our opinion. The bathrooms on the other hand were a horrifying experience. The toilet was so small and cramped that my boyfriend had trouble sitting on it. The shower too was extremely cramped and did not have curtains and this led to the bathroom being wet after our showers. The bed on the other hand may have been the largest we ever slept all, well larger than a king size and felt as if it was actually 2 large single beds joined together.

Pros : great location
Cons : the pubs around the area may not suit everyone, extremely small bathroom, misleading website photos

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels? Share your experiences!