“Great service but tiny bathroom” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels

You added Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels to your Saves list
Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   16 Spencer St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Ranked #62 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Hobart, Australia
“Great service but tiny bathroom”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I like the 24hrs reception and the facilities in the room. Everything is well-equipped and in good condition. However, the bathroom is unacceptably small, water is everywhere when you are taking a shower........ but for its price & location I would 100% stay here again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Calisha_Allsworth_HM, Manager at Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Dear Peter J,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your recent stay at Pensione Hotel Melbourne.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and found the hotel to be in good condition. My apologies for any difficulties you faced with regards to our private ensuites. We can certainly appreciate that some of our bathrooms are cosy and we are currently performing works on these rooms to make them more practical for use. Some of these works include removing shelving and installing shower screens.

We are thrilled that you found Pensione good value for money and look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Warm Regards,

Calisha and the Pensione team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Hamilton, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I'd read the reviews others had left before I came to The Pensionne, all I can say is that some people are so hard to please!
Where do I start? The hotel - GREAT staff. Very helpful, nothing was too much trouble.
The location - walk 100 metres down the road and you can catch a free tram to explore this great city. The room - well presented, clean, QUIET. I've stayed at other hotels on Spencer St before and in this hotel you don't hear the traffic or sirens that are a part of Melbourne at night. Comfy bed and lovely shower. Nice roof area too!
The food served in their cafe is great! Loved the eggs benedict and the coffee!
Yes Pensionne, I will be back. My first choice for a hotel in Melbourne!

Room Tip: Book through hotel not a booking site, have done both and hotel offers better choice of room. Havin...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hi cathy g,

WOW! Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a fantastic review of Pensione Hotel Melbourne.

We are so pleased to hear that you had such an enjoyable time in Melbourne and that our friendly reception team left such a positive impression on you! We aim to provide clean and comfortable accommodation with fantastic customer service to boot and it’s great to hear that this is how you found it so.

Thank you also for your kind feedback in regards to the café,the eggs ben is my personal favourite and I will be sure to pass on your feedback to the chefs – they will love it!

Should you wish to book a cooked breakfast inclusion for your next stay please feel free to contact us directly and we can certainly assist you with this. We love to look after our return guests!

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again real soon!

Warm Regards

Calisha and the Pensione Team
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

I love a room in the hotel. 5 days there and it was clean all the time. The hotel is next to the main street in Mel. My room doesn't has a window veiwing out, it may be due to my paying. I just have to pay 100$ for double room.

But the only concern is receptionist. We have to wait for longer time compared to other customers coming from Western countries. They came to check out later than us but all quicker. Two Asian couples had to wait until other western couples already checking out, even we were 1st people queuing. I don't understand why is that?

• Stayed February 2013
Calisha_Allsworth_HM, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Mickey20x

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at Pensione Hotel Melbourne.

I was please to read that you enjoyed the room, our central location and found our housekeeping services of a high standard. This is something we all take extremely seriously and pride ourselves on. All of our hotel rooms do have windows, though unfortunately not all of our rooms face out onto Spencer Street. Our Superior Double and Twin rooms have views of the city and it would be great to accommodate you in one of these in the future!

I must stress that all of us here at the Pensione Hotel Melbourne come from different ethnicities and backgrounds and certainly do not prioritise any guests based on these things. I am terribly sorry that you experienced a wait on check out and my only guess is that there may have been some misunderstanding with regards to who was next in line. As for the other couple waiting to be served, many guests choose to provide cash bonds on arrival whereby on departure the room is checked before they receive this bond back. It sounds as if guests may have been waiting for this.

Should you be travelling to Melbourne again in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. I would love to personally ensure your second stay is comfortable and enjoyable and the standard of service you receive meets the high standards our regular guests are accustomed to.

Calisha Allsworth
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Don't get me wrong - this is a great hotel. Terrific service, nice breakfast, clean, comfy beds. And a good price. It's just that the room we had was tiny and the bathroom smaller. Interestingly I think the bed seemed almost king in width but short! But great location, friendly and helpful service, nice decor, new sheets etc. Just don't stay there if you want to swing a cat.

Dear Alexofmelbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay!

It is fantastic to hear that you had such a great stay with us and that you enjoyed your breakfast!

In regards to our bathrooms, my apologies for any discomfort you experienced. We certainly understand that some of our guest bathrooms are cosy and are gradually making changes to these bathrooms to assist in their practicality.

We would love to have the opportunity to accommodate you again, please feel to contact the hotel direct should you be seeking accommodation in Melbourne. We would most definitely reserve one of our larger rooms!

Warm Regards,

Calisha and the Pensione Team!
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Pensione Hotel in Melbourne has everything you need for a fabulous stay in Melbourne.

The rooms themselves are on the small side but they are recently refurbished and tastefully decorated. Each room has everything you could need (and if it didn't the staff would go out of their way to source what you needed.)
Whilst the Pensione Melbourne has some of the best rates you will find in Melbourne, you will not find a more tastefully decorated hotel/ room for the price!
The location is walking distance to the station, DFO, CBD shopping, Casino and beautiful restaurants and bars overlooking the river.
Whilst the above speaks volume what really sets Penisone Melbourne above any other place is the staff.
You will be greeted as a guest not a customer, you will always be welcomed back after sightseeing with a smiling face behind the counter, and no request ever seems to be too much, the staff genuinely seem to want to go the extra mile, it is customer service the way it should be! The staff are also extremely knowledgeable about Melbourne and it's surrounding areas.
Very happy with my stay, will not look to stay anywhere other than Penisone whenever I go back to Melbourne.

Room Tip: There isn't a swimming pool- accidentally clicked it and can't remove the rating! Lots of s...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Calisha_Allsworth_HM, Manager at Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dear Tania C,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay!

We are thrilled to hear that Pensione Hotel Melbourne has left such a positive impression from your time in Melbourne and thank you for the kind words in regards to our team. We really aim to set ourselves apart by offering clean and comfortable accommodation in the heart of the CBD and indeed every team member at the Pensione prides themselves on their service and attention to detail - all to ensure that you have a most comfortable stay with us.

We would love to have the opportunity to look after you again so should you ever wish to stay with us or indeed any of our 8 Hotels properties within Australia or abroad, please do not hesitate to contact us directly. We will certainly do our best to look after you.

We hope to welcome you again real soon!

Warm Regards,

Calisha and the Pensione Team.
Donald, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

Wow, what can I say, I have not got 1 complaint about this hotel. Fantastic location, right on spencer street. We were in Melbourne for the Australian open and arrived early in morning and were able to check in at reception and leave bags before going to the tennis, so upon returning, hot and tired that evening,we were given our bags and keys exceptionally fast and were in our room in a matter of minutes. I was a bit concerned when I realised we were on the first floor, because I thought traffic noise would be loud, but when we entered our room, we could not hear the traffic at all(except for the occasional motor bike). I had ordered a twin room because I was travelling with my 17 year old son, and we actually had 3 single beds and wow what comfortable beds they were, and the room was very spacious and immaculately clean. Yes, the bathroom is quite small, as is mentioned in numerous reviews, but it was perfectly adequate for us. I would mention though that the entrance to the shower is very small, and a very large person may find it hard to squeeze in. For the cost of this hotel, I would recommend it to anyone travelling to Melbourne. Budget price, but definately not a budget hotel, I have paid twice as much for accommodation in Melbourne, that is nowhere near as a good as this one

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Calisha_Allsworth_HM, Manager at Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Doodi 1303,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay!

It’s so lovely to hear that the Pensione was your ideal stay during the Australia Open and that you had such a great time in Melbourne! The Pensione Hotel prides itself on its clean and comfy accommodation and we are delighted to see that we made such a lasting impression on you.

We would be thrilled to accommodate you again in the future, please let us know if you are ever returning to Melbourne and we will certainly do our best to ensure your next stay with us is even better than the last!

We hope to welcome you again soon.

The Pensione Team
Adelaide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

The hotel had one of the nicest hotel rooms I have ever stayed in. The room was very modern, beds comfy and overall very clean. the staff were very friendly and we even got a free breakfast. The location is abit far from the main areas of Melbourne but there is a free tram just right outside. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear Freshjive_Adelaide,

Thank you for writing such a lovely review on your recent stay at Pensione Hotel Melbourne.

We are so thrilled that you enjoyed your room and found our front office team friendly!

Should you be travelling to Melbourne again in the future, please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly! We love to look after our return guests.

Warmest Regards,

The Pensione Team

Been to Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels? Share your experiences!