“Pensione in Melbourne - Great Central location” 4 of 5 stars

Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   16 Spencer St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #64 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Adelaide, Australia
“Pensione in Melbourne - Great Central location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

The Pensione Hotel in Spencer Street, Melbourne is in a fabulous location, just a few steps from the Southern Cross Station (was Spencer Street Station) and (more importantly for me) just a 15 minute walk across the Yarra to the Convention Centre. The rooms are great value and comfortable with all I needed but as others have reported, are small. The bedding was very comfortable. I liked the fact that the fridge had minimal clutter in it so I could put my fruit and drinks in there to keep cold. The building has a fair bit of atmosphere and is quite quirky. The front desk staff were not at all accomodating during my visit and the WiFi option was $5 per hour or $15 for 24 hours, which is ridiculous when the Nomad Backpacker next door was offering me 5 days for $15 every time I turned on my iPod Touch. I think the room rate should include WiFi. I did not try the restaurant so I cannot comment on that. The area was well served with trams going in every direction and I would consider staying there again.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a larger room as it was a good size.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Calisha_Allsworth_HM, Manager at Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Lynette9,

Thank you for your taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at Pensione Hotel Melbourne.

It is great to hear how much you enjoyed our location and that you made such good use of our facilities! Our bedding has recently been fitted with Microcloud bed toppers which are renowned for their comfort. I am pleased that you liked them!

I am extremely disappointed to read that you found the front desk staff unaccommodating, here at the Pensione we pride ourselves on our friendly and personalised customer service and usually receive only praise for our efforts. I will be sure to investigate this rarity with my team and must apologise for any discomfort you experienced.

With regards to your comments in relation to the WIFI, I am terribly sorry that you found this inconvenient. We offer superior, fast and unlimited internet in 3 packages for our guests to purchase. You can also find several packages both on our website and when booking directly with the hotel whereby internet is included. We will be sure to present this more clearly from now on.

Should you be travelling to Melbourne again in the future, please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly. We love to look after our return guests and it would be my pleasure to ensure your second stay in comfortable and enjoyable.

Warmest Regards,

Calisha Allsworth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

The hotel location is perfect. Near to the airport bus terminal. In addition, it is so close to city center that you can basically walk every where. And if you are not a "walking" person, No Worries...there is a tram stop near by.

The room that I stayed was small, but the bed is cozy. The only comment is the super small bathroom. But, other than that...perfect!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Calisha_Allsworth_HM, General Manager at Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear tournesol08,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us about your recent stay!

We are delighted to hear that you had such a great stay in Melbourne and made such good use of our location! With so many fantastic places to visit in the area there is always something new and exciting to discover!

Thank you again for your kind words and we look forward to having to opportunity to welcome you again in the near future!

Warmest Regards

Calisha Allsworth and the Pensione Team
Goombungee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed six nights at the Pensione and our room, although not large was all we needed. We had a very comfortable king size bed, bar fridge, tea and coffee making equipment and somewhere to hand our clothes. Although we were on the ground floor, we were never distrurbed by noise from the street and we were there over the weekend of the two final (AFL & NRL). We ate a couple of times at the restaurant (dinner and a breakfast) and enjoyed both meals. The proximity to public transport and being only walking distance from South Bank and the Crown Casino complex meant that we had a variety of eating and entertainment opportunities virtually at our doorstep.

The staff were absolutely fantastic, booking restaurants and trips for us and helping in every possible way they could. Thr rooms were serviced daily and to a very high standard.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Calisha_Allsworth_HM, Manager at Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Dear Desleigh D,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us about your recent stay!

We are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your time with us and how fantastic you had found our team to be! The Pensione prides itself on its guest orientated approach and it is great to see that this has been noticed. I have taken the opportunity the show all the team members here and they were excited to have been able to make such an impression during your stay.

Thank you also for your lovely feedback in regards to our café! Our chef’s have been working very hard recently on our new menu and it’s great to hear such positive feedback in regards to this.

We would be delighted to accommodate you again, should you wish to stay with us or any of our 8Hotels properties throughout Australia or abroad, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We booked this hotel over the internet as short notice, as were where going down to Melbourne for the AFL Grand Final.

Our room must have been one of the smallest rooms I have ever stayed in, the bedding area had no room, no chair, small closest space, no window, felt like I was in a box.

It was very clean and tidy, had coffee making facilities, with mugs instead of small cups, which was a bonus.

TV leaves a lot to be desired, very poor quality of picture.

We had room 12, the bathroom was for disabled people, which was not a problem, as it was bigger than the bedroom.

No I wouldn't stay here again, as I have stayed many times in Melb and you can get get much better value.

Reception staff were very nice upon check-in and check-out

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Calisha_Allsworth_HM, Manager at Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear Kermy,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at Pensione Hotel Melbourne.
I take all feedback we receive extremely seriously and see it as a fantastic opportunity to improve our facilities and services.

I would like to apologise for any discomfort you experienced whilst staying in room 012 over the Grand Final weekend. I can certainly appreciate that these rooms are quite compact in size and have very simple décor. They have been highlighted for refurbishment and we are currently in the process of changing over the televisions to new plasmas in the Original Rooms.

With regards to the pricing of these rooms, the AFL Grand Final is one of Melbourne’s busiest special events and as I am sure you would have noticed, most hotels over this time price their rooms based on demand and location. As we are situated only a short tram away from where this event was held, the rates over this time reflected this. I can assure you that generally our room prices are extremely competitive.

I am pleased to read that you found the room clean and our staff friendly. We pride ourselves on this.

Should you be travelling to Melbourne again in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. It would be my pleasure to offer you one of our refurbished room types and ensure your second stay is great value for money

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Not at all spacious but all we needed: clean, quiet, and with pleasant staff.

We stayed in a double room on the third floor with a window onto an internal light well. The bed was comfortable and there was plenty of storage and shelf space, which, it must be said, is pretty unusual. No chairs, though: no room for them. There was a big TV, which we didn't use. A bar fridge and tea and coffee making equipment. There is air-conditioning/heating, which we didn't need in September. The bathroom had been shoe-horned into the room and it was tiny. From the evacuation diagram, it looks like all the bathrooms are the same. Adequate, but there is more room to towell yourself if you open the door. The vanity unit is close to the toilet so, unless you have very short legs, you can't sit quite straight. There was no plug in the sink.

Make no mistake: this is not a room you would come back to to sit about and relax, drink cocktails, entertain guests. It is for sleeping in only. From the evacuation diagram, some of the rooms are even smaller, while one or two might be larger. The smaller ones would be quite cramped, but again, if you just want somewhere to sleep ...

The standards of finish in the rooms are very high, and that is the case for the public spaces as well: stylish. There is an open-air smoking area on the roof and a quite pleasant café and bar on the ground floor. Reception is open 24/7.

Spencer Street is not the most salubrious end of town, but you are a short walk from Southern Cross Station and you are served by three busy tram lines.

I would happily stay there again, although I think I'd stipulate a quiet room: I don't know how quiet the street-side rooms on the lower levels would be, particularly on Friday and Saturday nights, as there is a popular pub almost next door.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Calisha_Allsworth_HM, Manager at Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear Bill_from_Sydney,

I am pleased that overall you found your stay enjoyable and that you would choose to stay with again when next in Melbourne.

I can certainly appreciate that our bathrooms and some of our rooms are on the cosy side and would like to thank you for your constructive and fair review. I must say it was so refreshing to read such kind words in relation to the storage we offer in rooms and the furnishings.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, should you be travelling to Melbourne in the future. I would love to offer you one of our Superior room types and personally ensure your second stay is comfortable.

Kind Regards,
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Having stayed at the Pensione in Sydney it was a great opportunity to compare them both. I had a Petite single room on the 3rd floor at the rear of the building.Petite ...yes. If there was any criticism it was, as a big bloke, the toilet was hard to use BUT, being on my own and no modesty to worry about, it was ok. The linen was crisp white and the room spotless. The staff were helpful and the attached restaurant satisfied the hunger pangs.Public transport at the the door and Southern Cross Station 1 block away made for a great 2 nights stay. Pity about the Melbourne weather...drizzling one day..... pouring the next.!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Calisha_Allsworth_HM, Manager at Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Dear Brian O,

It is always such a pleasure to read that guests from our sister property in Sydney choose to try us here in Melbourne!

I am delighted to read that overall you enjoyed your time with us and found our staff friendly and facilities clean. The Petite rooms are certainly cosy and should you be travelling to Melbourne again in the future, please contact the hotel directly and we will be sure to offer you a complimentary upgrade to a Double room. These are much more spacious!

Melbourne weather is temperamental isn’t it? We will hope for sunshine on your next visit!
Central Victoria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

This certainly was an experience. Car parking was in another street--we found this out as I was dropped off at the front of the hotel, running in and asking where parking was.....It doesn't work when it is on a late Friday afternoon with traffic bumper to bumper. The " can't be bothered attitude" from the female reception staff certainly lead to a good start. When finally given our key, we found that the maintenance man had to be called --who was very nice I may add, and change the lock-it didn't work. The rooms were very small and most of all try not to clean your teeth and bend down to wash your toothbrush--if you do, you will hit your head on the shelf.--ouch. A survey was sent to us within two days leaving and when mentioning this, we haven't heard from them since........that says a lot.. Try to look for something better....

Room Tip: Why you try somewhere else......
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear redvfr750,

I am extremely disappointed to read that you did not find that our facilities met your expectations and would like to sincerely apologise that you found the front office staff unresponsive. This is something I take extremely seriously as we pride ourselves on our friendly service and usually receive accolades for our personalised approach. I would also like to apologise for the difficulties you experienced with regards to the car parking on Flinders Lane. Secure Parking on Flinders Lane is the closest car park we could arrange a deal with however I can appreciate that during a busy time, bumper to bumper traffic can be infuriating. I will be sure work with the reservations team to mention this upon making bookings for our guests in future.

With regards to the bathrooms, William (our maintenance man) and myself are currently in the process of removing the shelving above the sinks to eradicate this problem. I am terribly sorry for any discomfort this cause you. We hope to have all of our bathrooms altered by the end of this year.

Thank you for filling out our survey. I most definitely read through all of them and make notes of all improvements our guests suggest. As you can see from my responses to all trip advisor reviews below, I endeavour to reply to all surveys we receive within a reasonable time frame. I am sure you can appreciate that I receive a plethora of these daily and often it will take me a few days to get through all of them. Rest assured your discomforts have been heard and I am always looking to improve our facilities and services.

Should you be travelling to Melbourne in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me. I would love the opportunity to personally ensure your second stay is comfortable and at the high standard that our regular guests have become accustomed to.

Calisha Allsworth

Been to Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels? Share your experiences!