We booked the Pensione Twin room in Melbourne after researching A LOT of hotels. I think considering how expensive Australia can be that this is good value. It's a very nicely designed hotel - I love the boutique style and the cafe and bar and colour scheme in this brick building is pretty lovely. It is entirely comfortable.
The room itself was very spacious and the beds were good quality. There was a flat screen television, a good sized cupboard, a tea and coffee point, kettle, hairdryer etc. So for £34 pp per night I think it is a good way to spend your money. The location is pretty close to everything as well. We walked everywhere - but the tram is the next street along, if you prefer. It's near to Spencer St Station - so very convenient when you arrive in Melbourne - literally a five minute walk down the street - which was a pleasant surprise.
One big problem however, for us, was the bathroom. I traveled with a really good friend and we coped - but we felt the bathroom was flawed in design. There is a slide door that basically separates the room and the bathroom. But it doesn't completely shut and has a tendency to roll open. Also the toilet is almost literally next to the bed and what with the door not shutting it was kind of embarrassing using the toilet if one of us was in bed practically next to the opaque door! The shower curtain was also broken - we did ask for this to be fixed and it was - but fixed was not really fixed when it fell down again the next night and the sink was too small to be able to brush your teeth properly - all these things just made using the bathroom a bit tiresome. Also - it was fairly clean but it didn't have that really super clean feel or smell to it - which would have been nice.
I'm not sure if this bathroom design is in all rooms - but from reading some of the other reviews I'm guessing it's in quite a few.
Overall - if you are looking to book a single room - I think it is a excellent option. If you are sharing you might want to just think the bathroom situation over. But design and comfort of hotel are top notch.
Hope this helps! Happy Travels.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Modelled on the original European pensione hotels, the Pensione Hotel Melbourne combines original turn of the century building features with modern design and soft tones, creating a warm and inviting atmosphere.Set behind a beautiful Heritage-listed façade, the Pensione Hotel offers boutique interiors, breathtaking hospitality and incomparable value for money.Featuring all the desired hotel amenities, with warm and inviting staff that have a great knowledge of the local area, the Pensione is perfectly suited as a base to explore Melbourne. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Priceline, TripOnline SA, EasyToBook, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pensione Hotel Melbourne - By 8 Melbourne
- Pensione Boutique Hotel Melbourne