“Not as bad as people make out” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Darling Towers on Collins

You added Darling Towers on Collins to your Saves list
Darling Towers on Collins
233 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Formerly Darling Towers Serviced Apartments) (Melbourne CBD)   |
Ranked #113 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
New York City, New York
“Not as bad as people make out”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

I booked this hotel in a bit of a rush and then went back later to check recent reviews, and was pretty scared by what I saw, so it was with some trepidation that I stayed!

I was in Melbourne for a conference, and this hotel ticked all the boxes so far as location and price went, so from the point of view 5 out of 5!

The room was clean, and fully functional, there were no issues with the aircon or hot water as previous people had mentioned, and while the room did look a little dated, really, it wasn't that bad at all. It was clean and tidy and everything worked.

Reception looked a little haphazard, however the lady that checked me in was pleasant and efficient, so no problems there at all.

Only one lift was in operation, they appear to be doing refurb works on the 2nd one at the moment, although other reviews implied that this might have been ongoing for some time. I had a wait a fairly long time a couple of times for the 1 lift that worked to arrive, but it really wasn't that bad as a general rule.

I was in house for 4 nights, and based on my experience this time, I'd be happy to stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the backside of the hotel. That's where I stayed and I had a balcony I co...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Brisbane Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with 3 friends for a shopping trip in March. There is no doubting that the location is absolutely the best. Flinders Street station is a block away and the trams literally stop at the front door. Check in was efficient and although our room was not ready we were able to leave our luggage and head straight out.
Then there are the downsides. We had a 2 bedroom apartment and it was looking very tired and in need of a spruce up. When we had a wine there was only 3 glasses. There was a rip in the lounge suite and the floors are very worn. There were 2 large holes cut into the ceiling of the bathroom and left open? There was a crack in the toilet and the washing machine did not work properly (after 2 hours was still washing) and the dryer did not work either. The maintenance man was very helpful and took our jeans to another apartment to use their dryer and after 2 hours bought them back still not dry?? The air conditioner was not working and a portable one was left in the apartment so the management knew of this problem and still let it out. The fridge froze everything in it even though it was on the lowest setting ruining our purchases from the markets. If you want a central location it is fabulous but the hotel is in serious need of some maintenance.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

I stayed at Darling Towers on Collins for a few days in March 2012 with my mother, a girls shopping trip.

We have stayed at the property a number of times before, the location is just fantastic. Trams are within close walking distance to get to all the major shopping districts around the city and inner suburbs, and the Flinders St train station is also close by.

The apartments are showing some signs of wear and tear since we first started staying here, but having said that, the prices are also incredibly cheap. When you're paying less than $100 a night for a one bedroom apartment in the heart of the city, you really can't complain.

We stayed in apartment 611, which was clean and comfortable (apart from the bed, which was hard as a rock!) The air conditioning worked well, the kitchen was well stocked with crockery and cooking appliances/utensils, and everything in the bathroom was up to scratch.

On the downside, one of the elevators was out of order throughout our stay, so the wait to get up and down to the apartment was sometimes a little annoying. I would also like to know the property's policy on offering upgrades? The couple checking in ahead of us (who I assume were husband and wife) were upgraded to a 2 bedroom apartment, but we weren't upgraded - wouldn't a 2 bedroom place be of more benefit to a mother/daughter combo?

On the whole, this place is still worth a visit - it's cheap and cheerful and in a fabulous location, and we will probably return again for our next shopping expedition.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for the last 3 nights during a small heatwave in Melbourne. the aircon in our room didn't work at all and when we advised reception they said they knew, and it wouldn't be getting fix anytime soon. This was not told to us at check in, or mentioned during booking! They then offered us 1 pedestal fan, which is ridiculous for a two bedroom apartment! We spent 3 nights sweating it out, it was terrible. This morning after another hot nights sleep I got up early to make an early flight. There was no hot water at all, so I was forced to take a completely cold shower, which after the hot night was somewhat refreshing but it was far from comfortable!

• Stayed February 2012
Timaru
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

We stayed at the Darling Towers on Collins in Feb 2012. There were a number of conflicting reviews so was not sure what to expect. The location is great you are close to everything. We had a queen and single apartment. The single was small but adequate. Queen size bedroom good size and good wardrobe facilities. Appreciated having a dishwasher and washer/dryer. Kitchen/living small but everything was there that we needed. Apartment was clean. Was a little noisy at times over the weekend (not from other apartments) but from street, but this is a city so I suppose expected. Price very reasonable and would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

I will keep this review short and sweet. This hotel or a better term for it would be "shack" "bungalo" was HORRIBLE... I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy. The day i stayed there it was 34 degrees and the air con was not working. I didn't think paying $220 was justified at all. If i wanted to sleep/stay in a steam room, i would go to the gym... and thats not an exaggeration. The hallway smelt like the back streets of china town, seriously.

The only positive thing about this hotel is the prime location. Nothing else.

Dont make me start on the customer service..... one word "POOR"

P.s Pictures on website are decieving.....

Room Tip: Owner - 3 R's , Renovate, Restructure and Realise the standards we expect as customers.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Rockhampton, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

I was a bit hesitant after reading some of the reviews, but very glad I decided to book this place as it kept the budget down. I asked for a room without a balcony as I'm not a fan of heights and we got a 2 bedroom apartment on the 6th floor (Swanson Street side of the hotel).

All the things you want are there - quality linen and towels, comfy beds, great working air conditioning, plenty of hot water, full kitchen/tv/lounge and our room was very quiet so we got a good rest. It was perfect location, we could easily walk to the MCG each day and bourke st mall and china town are just around the corner. So is flinders st station and we also walked to the crown casino. If you want to go further to the museum, markets or docklands for shopping - just take the free tram, easy and handy.

I don't recommend this hotel if you are traveling with small children because of the maintenance issues could be dangerous for those littlies who like to explore and touch things. In our bedroom there was a small corner of the carpet which exposed sharp rusty nails, most power-points were falling out of the walls, the hot and cold handles were on the wrong taps on the basin and the bathroom floor had clumps of hair on it (not ours). Other than the hair on the floor, these weren't major issues for our group, so I really enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room on the quiet side of the hotel
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Darling Towers on Collins? Share your experiences!