“Great value and the best location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Darling Towers on Collins

Save Saved
You added Darling Towers on Collins to your Saves list
Darling Towers on Collins
233 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Formerly Darling Towers Serviced Apartments) (Melbourne CBD)   |
Ranked #117 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Rockhampton, Australia
“Great value and the best location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

I was a bit hesitant after reading some of the reviews, but very glad I decided to book this place as it kept the budget down. I asked for a room without a balcony as I'm not a fan of heights and we got a 2 bedroom apartment on the 6th floor (Swanson Street side of the hotel).

All the things you want are there - quality linen and towels, comfy beds, great working air conditioning, plenty of hot water, full kitchen/tv/lounge and our room was very quiet so we got a good rest. It was perfect location, we could easily walk to the MCG each day and bourke st mall and china town are just around the corner. So is flinders st station and we also walked to the crown casino. If you want to go further to the museum, markets or docklands for shopping - just take the free tram, easy and handy.

I don't recommend this hotel if you are traveling with small children because of the maintenance issues could be dangerous for those littlies who like to explore and touch things. In our bedroom there was a small corner of the carpet which exposed sharp rusty nails, most power-points were falling out of the walls, the hot and cold handles were on the wrong taps on the basin and the bathroom floor had clumps of hair on it (not ours). Other than the hair on the floor, these weren't major issues for our group, so I really enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room on the quiet side of the hotel
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

308 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Perth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

Stayed here for 5 nights in early November and overall was an average stay. Our first impression wasn't too good, the receiption staff member was very unfriendly, there was only one lift in use (due to repairs) which was not worked on the whole 5 days we we're staying there.

The room was nice and clean, opening the back door was a view of dumpsters and other buildings, which was often quite noisy, our key got stuck in the door almost everyday, we we're without hot water for half of a day. However the staff we're really helpful (not the same staff member when we first arrived)

The location is great, great little cafes around, right outside a tram spot and close to Flinders Street.

I would recomend this place to people who are on a budget, dont expect anything to fancy.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

It is 40 degree today in Mel and this stupid hotel provide NO AIR CONDITION!
All facility is old and it is definitely not a 4 star apartment in my opinion. Living room is small, mattress is bad and it cause my back pain. Not enough water pressure when showering. For $100 per night stay is just not worth it!
Staff is not helpful at all because everything has go through so called management and nothing is happening but only wait.
The reception is in a very small room and 1 lift is always broken and I will never ever coming here again!
No swimming pool and no spa.

Room Tip: $ = room standard
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights in Dec. Great location. Upkeep of hotel and service is needed.

This hotel is in a great location, close to all amenities however the rooms need some upgrading. We stayed in the 2b/room on 11th floor. Upon arrival the room had a heavy smell of food which lasted for the entire stay. The second night the lifts were not working so we had to walk up 11 floors after a night out. Not too good for one of our friends who was pregnant. The lift was not fixed until noon the next day. One day the lift had a used surgical glove on the floor which was left there for a whole day and no one bothered to pick it up.

Second bedroom needs ventilation as it did not have any windows at all, luckily it was not hot.

Biggest gripe is I left my electric toothbrush and phoned the next morning to see if it has been turned in, I was surprised it didn't show up. I phoned many times givin the benefit of the doubt that surely no one would take a used electric toothbrush hoping it would turn up but the answer I got was " I appreciate where your coming from .." which I gather was a standard response. And third time I got no reply as they said they would phone me back but they didn't. I'm very disappointed with the housekeeping after I pointed out exactly where I've left it. the housekeeper was actually right there, when I was leaving the room... I won't stay in the hotel again because I would want to trust a hotel of my belongings as this is the first hotel I've ever stayed in and when I've left something behind and it hasn't been handed in.

Pros: good location

Cons: needs upgrading and do something about their housekeeping

• Stayed December 2011
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights as a family (2 adults and 2 kids). Had a unit on the 11th "executive" floor. As others have said its in a great central location on Collins close to Swanston. This floor needed 2 elevators the first to get to 10th floor, then a 2nd to get from 10 to 11, this is a pain! The building seems to have elevator problems - the 2nd elevator got stuck on the 11th floor on our first night there; and one of the lower elevators was permanently out of order leaving only 1 in operation. In busy times it was quicker to go down 10 flights of fire escape stairs.
The room was barely OK, obviously old and tired and the matress was terrible.
Do not bring a car: there is nowhere to park out front to unload and the recommended commercial car park is several blocks away. This hotel suits those wanting a budget inner-city exerience and who are willing to overlook a few deficiencies to get it.

Room Tip: Probably worth choosing the executive floors as the have a great view and supposedly are more up-mar...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Alexandra, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

Excellent location - central city. Reception on 8th floor, but we were given clear instructions for accessing the building after hours. Reception area itself a bit tatty (carpet repaired with masking tape) but staff friendly and helpful. Our unit was on the 4th floor, paid extra for a balcony but because we were away from the road our outlook was onto a concrete wall! modern appliances, evidence of some upgrading though carpets and flooring worn and marked.Furniture placement not well thought out, with the couch in our unit needing to be moved before we could open the dishwasher? Lift apparently under repair, but no evidence of anyone working on it during the 3 days we were there. Comfortable and clean, everything we needed as we were out and about all day. would stay again because of price and location, but definitely not luxurious

Room Tip: Be aware that if you ask for a balcony you will only get a view from the Collins Street frontage. We...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Devonport, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

We recently stayed 3 nights here and found the location great when relying on public transport. For $95 we had a 2 bedroom unit with separate lounge/kitchen. Everything was clean and in good condition. There were 2 elevators (we were on the 7th floor) and only 1 working. It was a long wait for it and very slow. We noticed most residents took the stairs, wedging paper to stop the fire door from closing. Not a very safe practice. The corridors were narrow and the air stale. We were able to open windows in the loungeroom and single bedroom fresh air but the window in main bedroom was locked. The carpet at the doorway from the bathroom to bedroom was badly worn from constant water leakage due to the floor sloping the wrong way. The shower over the bath did not have a wide enough glass barrier to stop the water from going straight onto the floor and flooding it. We only spent time in our unit for sleeping so found everything acceptable. If there had been more than 2 people it would have been very cramped. The very small loungeroom/kitchen is really only suitable for 2 people. For the price it was excellent to be so close to everything in the centre of Melbourne.

Room Tip: Ask for a room next to the breeze way so you can open the windows.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Darling Towers on Collins? Share your experiences!