“Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Swanston Hotel, Grand Mercure

You added The Swanston Hotel, Grand Mercure to your Saves list
The Swanston Hotel, Grand Mercure
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   195 Swanston St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Formerly Mercure Grand Hotel on Swanston)   |
Ranked #72 of 173 Hotels in Melbourne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Tasmania, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

Stayed here many times before and always a great stay, couple of small gripes this time, but attended to straight away by staff. Staff even charged my companion's phone as she had forgotten her charger. Clean, welcoming, so close to the shops and eateries and exceptional service as usual. Special mention to David the concierge, Emma on reception and the quirky guy in the bar who kept us entertained with his cocktail shaking.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room at the back of the hotel away from Swanston Street if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Erdi G, Manager at The Swanston Hotel, Grand Mercure, responded to this review, August 24, 2014
Dear Archer_011,

It's great to see positive comments from a Top Contributor. We're pleased to read that you had a great stay with us.

I am sorry to read about a couple of small gripes this time but couldn't be happier that they were attended to straight away. Thank you for your kind words on David, Emma and Mike at the bar, I will be sure to pass on your feedback to them.

WE thank you for your continuous patronage and we look forward to your next visit.

Gold Coast, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

The service and staff at the Swanston Hotel were very helpful and friendly. Always ready to help with anything. The facilities were excellent - buffet brekky was lovely, and the hotel was right in the middle of everything. Short walk to the theatre, even shorter walk to the shopping mall! Only downside was the view from the room, on the 4th floor it's pretty uninspiring, but then who has the time to look out a window when there's so much to do! I would definitely go back next time I am in Melbourne. Les Mis was great!! and so was The King and I. recommend both shows.

Room Tip: Higher floors would have better views. Lower floors look on to other buildings.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear Deborah - H,

Thank you for writing a detailed review and for highlighting the achievement of our team in providing a helpful and friendly service.

Couldn't be happier to read that you enjoyed all the facilities & services extended.

I have had the opportunity to see both Les Mis and The King and I, and like yourself, I was most impressed with both shows and highly recommend them to other visitors.

We hope to see you again very soon.

Burleigh Heads, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I enjoyed a relaxing three nights here two weeks ago, and can recommend this hotel as ideally positioned in the CBD, close to Chinatown and shopping precinct.

Staff were very friendly and helpful, including allocating a wonderful quiet room on the 6th floor (603).

If you choose to bring a car, and self park it, then be warned the hotel parking garage is located in Russell Street (Beside Mantra Hotel), so there is a bit of a walk between the garage and hotel. Also parking spaces on our arrival were very limited, and we had to park at the top level with only two spaces left. Also the lifts did not work the entire time we were there, and we had to negotiate stairs from the top floor.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Stephen B,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review after your 3 days stay with us. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our convenient location, room and service extended.

Your feedback regarding the lift at the car park has been forwarded to the management of Secure Parking for their urgent attention.

Once again, we thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

I was really pleased with my choice of accommodation.. I arrived early at around 8.30am and knew that I couldn't check in but wanted to leave my bags somewhere so I could go out and look around...so I was totally surprised when they said they had a room ready for me and I could go put my bags away etc.

The room itself was a good size and although the bathroom needed a little bit of TLC it was clean and well appointed.

The best thing about my time there was the staff... they were always so friendly and helpful answering my questions giving me directions and ensuring I understood. Even little things like a postage stamp was no problem and recommendations for where to eat were spot on... they knew where all the best places and suggested places that met your budget requirements.

Getting to and from the airport is no problem with the sky bus it costs just $18 and the hotel can prebook for you

I would happily stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for the higher floors as the noise from swanston street can be quite loud
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Erdi G, Manager at The Swanston Hotel, Grand Mercure, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Dear Sonnie_dee,

It's great to see such positive comments from a Senior Contributor.
We're pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Our facilities are wonderful and our staff are a cheerful and helpful team.

We look forward to see you again when you next returning to Melbourne.

Alex MIhardja, Operational Project Manager

Been to The Swanston Hotel, Grand Mercure? Share your experiences!