“Better than the photos you saw!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Crossley Hotel

You added The Crossley Hotel to your Saves list
The Crossley Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   51 Little Bourke St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #52 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Hong Kong
“Better than the photos you saw!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2010

I checked in Crossley from another hotel provided by my company after a business trip. The reception kindly offered me a room at 11 something am (check out time in Melbourne is 11!). I guess the room was ungraded and it was spotless, quiet and has a long bench for me to do my office emails and some work.

The hotel is located at a very pleasant peaceful street with a lot of tasteful restaurants and shops (unlike in China Town just cross the road). Melbourne has a lot of back street outlets and it is quite an experience exploring them. The hotel is much better than you see from the pictures. It is not the glamorous type but if you are looking for a quiet boutique hotel, this is the one!

There are a few theatres closeby. I watch MaMa Mia at the Majectics which is only one minute from the hotel. Crossley is also near to the free shuttle tram at Parliment, and the metro station is there too. Very convenient.

The hotel staff are extremely friendly, pleasant and helpful I would highly recommend Crossley to anyone who enjoys the luxuary and elegancy of small hotels.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
CrossleyGM, General Manager at The Crossley Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2010
Dear Francis057,

Thank you very much for your great feedback on TRIPADVISOR and we are very happy to know that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

The Crossley Hotel managed by Mercure

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Tasmania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2010

Great place to stay, staff are helpful with every request. They even give you a choice of pillows.

• Stayed May 2010
Dear TasmaniaOuzo,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the The Crossley Hotel Managed by Mercure. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Geraldton, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2010

If you enjoy mouldy bathrooms with a toilet that doesnt flush then this is the place for you. Got moved to a new room with no problem thankfully but the air con was dodgy in the new room. Some receiption staff very helpful and nice some not so much. I would expect something alot cleaner, newer and well presentated for the price of the rooms. Not the best location either. bit out of the way.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
CrossleyGM, General Manager at The Crossley Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2010
Dear gurty22,

It is unfortunate to hear that you did not enjoy your stay in our hotel and was not happy with the location.

I would certainly share your comments with our team to ensure that we constantly improve our product and service delivery.

What you experienced is not the usual standards in out hotel rooms and I am happy that you have enjoyed once you've been room moved.

I am happy to say that we are in the process of working on bathroom refurbishment this year.

We hope you would give us an oportunity for you to truly experience Mercure standards in the future and on your next visit I would like to offer you a complimentary room upgarde to a Superior Room. Please contact me directy on my email H3032-GM1@accor.com.

Yours Sincerely

Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2010

I got a special deal off the internet $138 per night. It was good value for this rate. Right in China town, very convenient for everything. The only thing I didn't quite like there was the noise. Garbage colletion early in the morning, noisy party prople on weekend nights.

Skybus pick-up to Southern Cross Station can be arranged through reception and staff are very friendly.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Dear Haibei,

Thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor. It is great to know that you had an enjoyable time in Melbourne.

I will be sharing your comments with our team.
Your feedback is very important to us to continuousley improve our service and product standards.

Although it occurs rarley, I am working on a solution with the City Council regarding the noise from the grabage bin collection in the mornings and I am sure it woulbe be rectified as we speak.

On your next visit to our hotel I would like to offer you a complimentary room upgrade. Please contact me directly on my email H3032-GM1@accor.com.

Kind regards.

H3032-GM1@ACCOR.COM
Melbourne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2010

We stayed in one of the 1 bedroom apartments over the weekend, it was really not up to standard. The tap in the kitchen was dodgy and leaked, there was a bottle cap left on the floor (from previous occupants) and the toilet roll holder in the bathroom was broken. It was pretty disappointing, we also had problems with the internet connection in the room, and the staff were not very helpful in sorting out the internet problems. On the plus side the location was good, but I definetly wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear fionarMelbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor.

We value all feedback as it allows us to constantly monitor and improve our services.

I sincerely apologise that we have let you down in a number of areas on the occasion of stay. We certainly needed to respond better to a number of your requests and rest assured I will address this with the operational departments.

Apologies again from myself and the team. If given the opportunity we would be happy to show you true Mercure service on a future visit.

Yours Sincerely

Perth, Western Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2010

I cancelled another hotel to book the Crossley, based on so many good reviews with only one poor one thrown in. My mother and I booked a triple room for 4 nights, with my daughter arriving on the 3rd night for the remainder of our trip. We had wanted 5 nights but found the price hike for the last night (a Thursday) excessive, so moved to another hotel for our final night. The website through which I booked the hotel had rated it 4 star, which is my minimum requirement, so I was very disappointed to find it clearly wasn't - probably 3 star.

On the positive side, staff were pleasant and helpful and the beds were comfortable with great pillows. The location is fabulous - in the heart of the theatre district and within easy access of trams, train, shops, cafes and restaurants.

On the downside, our room wasn't cleaned during our 4 days there - beds were pulled up, towels changed and used dishes rinsed (although not very well) and replaced, however the floors were never vacuumed or swept and none of the surfaces were ever wiped down. By the time we left on Thursday lunchtime, the bathroom was filthy - if I'd had a sponge and some detergent, I would have done it myself.

Our room on the 6th (penthouse) floor overlooking the rooftops of a side alley was very cramped and apart from the beds, looked generally tired and grubby. The orange juice in the minibar looked as old as the fridge itself so we were fairly reluctant to try anything else and the carpet-covered shelf for placing the suitcase was stained and dirty, as was the carpet throughout the hotel. I asked if there was a better room available, preferably with a more pleasant view, but was told that all the triple rooms were in this position and that we had been given the quietest room available, following our initial request.

During the night (starting somewhere around 4 in the morning) bins are apparently emptied along this laneway. The noise of crashing bottles knocked us out of a sound sleep and continued for the rest of the night - happening again 2 nights later. Not management's fault but something to be aware of. Earplugs helped but didn't completely block out the clatter. Given that we were on the top floor, I would agree that we were probably in the quietest room on this side of the hotel.

In summary, the location is fantastic but the hotel is just adequate. Pretty tired and grubby and in need of a bit of an overhaul. I couldn't find a rating on the hotel's own website, so would be interested to know how the hotel would rate itself.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
CrossleyGM, General Manager at The Crossley Hotel, responded to this review, March 31, 2010
Dear HailstoneSally,

Thanks for the feedback regarding the issues during your stay.

I would certainly follow up regarding the cleanliness concerns with the other issues which you have encountered, as this is certainly not the standard to which we aspire.

I do hope we can welcome you back in the future so that we can prove ourselves better hosts.

Kind Regards,

Email: H3032-GM1@accor.com
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2010

My partner and I stayed at the Crossley Hotel for 2 nights in late Febuary on a Wednesday and Thursday night.

We stayed in the 2 bedroom penthouse apartment 'The Melbourne'. I had originally wanted to stay in the one bedroom apartment, however it was not available on my requested nights. Because of this, reservations were able to offer me the 2 bedroom apartment at a discounted rate of $300 per night.

The apartment was absolutely fantastic, extremelly spacious with a huge balcony overlooking the streets below. 3 flat screen TVs, 2.5 bathrooms (one with a full size corner spa), fully equiped kitchen and dining room.

The room was very clean and had an airy feel about it (you can actually open the windows which we thought was brilliant). The hotel is in close proximity to trams, shops, dining and everything you could possibly need.

I was very conscious of other reviews I had read which stated that rooms could be noisy at night with garbage trucks and other city noises. I am pleased to say that we were not disturbed once either night.

We paid $27 per night for our car to be kept in secure parking which included a valet service. everytime we asked staff to bring our car around, it was waiting for us out the front by the time we headed downstairs.

Overall we had a fantastic stay, I would quite happily pay the $300 a night for the convenient location, beautiful room and friendly staff and would recommend the Crossley apartments to anyway willing to fork out a little bit of extra money to ensure themselves a pleasant, hassle-free trip.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
CrossleyGM, General Manager at The Crossley Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2010
Dear Emmajade,

Thank you very much for your review and we are so happy that you had a great time with us!

I would certainly share your comments with our team and they are an encouragement to us to continuously improve our product and service quality.

We hope to see you in the near future and if you ever need any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Thank you once again.

Email: H3032-GM1@accor.com

Been to The Crossley Hotel? Share your experiences!