“Very good hotel: large room, and pretty comfortable” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Crossley Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Crossley Hotel to your Saves list
The Crossley Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   51 Little Bourke St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #52 of 170 hotels in Melbourne
Belgrade, Serbia
“Very good hotel: large room, and pretty comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Very good hotel, by far the best out of 4 on my recent trip to Australia. The location is very good, very close to Chinatown, and everything else. Also very close to absolutely great Red Pepper Indian restaurant, around the corner, close to the Parliament. The room was big, nicely furnished, large and comfortable bed, big modern TV, comfortable armchair – so everything to make the stay pleasant. True, the bathroom was a bit outdated – but not really bad, and big enough. The view from the room was very, very nice. The service good and staff helpful. Free Wi-Fi in the room. All in all, I really enjoyed staying here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Melissa T, Manager at The Crossley Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear Dimitrije56,

Thank you for your recent review.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I'm glad you appreciated the hotel's central location and the use of the free Wi-Fi. I'm also pleased to read that you found our staff friendly and helpful, I will be sure to pass your positive comments on to all of the team.

Once again, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Crossley Hotel on your next trip to Melbourne.

541 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Helsinki
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I stayed here with my partner for 2 nights earlier this week. Main reasons for booking were the good reviews we had read about it on Booking.com and the relatively low price compared to similar hotels in the CBD.

This hotel did not disappoint us, and was definitely great value for money: staff was very friendly and attentive, and we were always greeted with a smile. They also helped us book an aiport shuttle bus. I liked that it was located in Chinatown, very close to bars, restaurants and shopping streets. Free wi-fi was a huge plus!

Our room was on the 5th floor, overlooking Little Bourke St. It wasnt very big but it was clean and modern, and had a huge flatscreen TV. No fitness centre in the hotel but apparently guests get a discount at some partnership gym. We did not try the breakfast because it wasnt included in the room rate, nor did we eat in the restaurant, so I can't comment on the food.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Melissa T, Manager at The Crossley Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Ponsoyfi,

Thank you for your recent review. I'm pleased to read that you found our hotel value for money.

I appreciate you highlighting the central location of the hotel and I'm glad you enjoyed the use of the hotel's free WI-FI. It's great to read that you found our staff friendly and attentive, I'm glad that were able to organise and assist you in booking your airport shuttle. We certainly pride ourselves on our great customer service levels, so it's rewarding to read your comments. I will be sure to pass this on to all the team.

Once again thank you for taking the time to post a review and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Crossley Hotel on your next visit to Melbourne.

Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

The hotel is very well situated, clean with access to wi-fi.
The bathroom was very outdated, looked like no renovation was done since... the 70s??
W paid for the room with breakfast, but in the restaurant we were only offered cereal or toasts with jam (the only non-sweet thing for breakfast was... Vegemite - hard to eat for us, Europeans). I asked for non-sweet options and was told we'd have to pay for continental breakfast. So I don't quite understand- one person wrote here they had room with continental breakfast and we had room with 'limited' breakfast ? I'd rather not have such breakfast at all...
Also, garbage collection woke us up in the morning.
The staff was pretty neutral, often neglected our presence - it was OK, but wouldn't call them friendly.
Overall, I'm surprised it's a 4 star hotel. I don't think we'll use it again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Lenore L,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I'm pleased you enjoyed the central location of the hotel and the use of the free WI-FI.

I was disappointed to read that you found the breakfast choices very limited as we regularly receive reviews on how great our breakfasts are. Our room and breakfast packages generally include a continental breakfast, which is usually a combination of cereals, fruits, yoghurts, toast and pastries. However the restaurant usually offers our guests an option to upgrade to a full breakfast at a small charge of $6, which will include hot foods such as bacon and eggs. I apologise if this was not communicated to you when you made your reservation or through out your stay. I will definitely pass your feedback on to our Restaurant Manager and his team.

I'm sorry you felt that our staff neglected your presence at times, we certainly pride ourselves on our great customer service levels, so its a shame to read comments as such. We will definitely take your comments on board and use this as an example at our next staff training session.

I would also like to apologise if your quality of sleep was disturbed, I can assure you we are actively working with the local council to minimise the noise effects of the early morning rubbish removal.

Once again thank you for taking the time to post a review and I hope you will give us the opportunity again to welcome you back to the Crossley Hotel.

Olinda, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed on a Saturday night in a room with a King Bed and a Divan Sofa - suitable for friends who are not couples. Beds were comfortable and everything worked so no problems there. The room size was adequate and overlooked Lt. Bourke St. so had enough natural light. The staff were friendly and helpful. I have no complaints about this Hotel.

The location is great if you are going to the Theatre, eating out in Chinatown or going to Carlton which is very close. Also it is a very quiet part of the city. As it is near the Parliament building you can enjoy walking through the Treasury Gardens on Spring Street, so arrive early and take time to explore the top end of the city.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Melissa T, Manager at The Crossley Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Gillian H,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on the Crossley Hotel.

It's great to read you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for highlighting the central location of the Hotel. It certainly is surrounded by a vast selection of restaurants and nearby to all of Melbourne's great Theatres. I'm pleased to read your positive comments about our staff, I will be sure to pass this on to all of the team.

Once again, I would like to thank you for posting a review and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Crossley Hotel on your next visit to Melbourne.

Sorrento, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I phoned the Hotel and Eva was very helpful in accommodating the room I was asking for. I wanted a room that I had stayed in before and she did her best to find that room. We were welcomed with a bottle of wine and enjoyed our stay, due to its close location to all the restaurants in Chinatown. We will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Little Bourke Street
Dear DFergie5,

Thank you for your 5/5 review.

I'm pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us. It's great to hear that Eve was able to help you out and accommodate you in the room that you had stayed in previously, I will definitely pass on your feedback to her and the rest of the team.

Thank you again for taking the time to post a review and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Crossley Hotel on your next visit to Melbourne.

Geelong, Victoria AUSTRALIA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

After a recent bad experience at another hotel I was hoping the glowing reviews on TripAdvisor for The Crossley Hotel were correct. We arrived on a busy day but check in was swift and friendly. On entering our room we found that unlike a lot of other places it looked just like the brochure! The room had everything we required, everything was clean and in good order.

The location was great, the hotel is very central and although amid the hustle and bustle noise was not an issue. In all the visit exceeded my expectations and I will definitely return.

We chose to eat breakfast in the hotel's restaurant. Although the meal was nice the process was a little confusing as we hadn't included breakfast in the tariff. Next time I would look at adding this as an inclusion in the room rate rather than waiting for staff to have to get the EFTPOS machine so we could pay.

Thanks to staff and management for an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Melissa T, Manager at The Crossley Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear Blackwater 165,

Thank you for your recent 5/5 review of the Crossley Hotel.

I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I'm glad you appreciated the hotel's central location, it's certainly close to many lovely restaurants and theatres. It's great to hear you found the breakfast nice, I will pass your comments on to the restaurant manager and his team. We do offer bed and breakfast packages, where continental breakfast is included in the rate, this may be an option you choose to take next time.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post a review and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Crossley Hotel on your next visit to Melbourne.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Stayed 3 nights in a superior room. Pleasantly surprised at the high level of cleanliness. Our room was large and offered a very comfy king bed, sofa, adequate kitchenette and spotless bathroom. Decor was pleasant and there was lots of natural light. Staff were all fantastic and friendly, special mention of thanks to reception staff Eve and Kenny who were exceptionally professional and friendly. Breakfast was great and available from a very quaint basement restaurant. Plenty of options and the cooked breakfast one of the best I've had. Staff also very friendly. This boutique hotel is doing everything right to keep it's clients happy and wanting to return. If it's a good clean and friendly hotel you're after and close to theatres, then you really can't go past the Crossley for value. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Superior room is well worth paying a little extra
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Melissa T, Manager at The Crossley Hotel, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Dear Valerio B,

Thank you for your recent 5/5 Review on our hotel.

It's fantastic to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I'm pleased to read that you were offered friendly and professional service through out your stay by all our staff, especially by Kenny and Eve, I will be sure to pass your thoughts on to them. I'm also glad that you enjoyed the breakfast, I will pass your feedback on to the Restaurant Manager and his team, I'm sure they will be pleased.

Thank you again for taking the time to post a review and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Crossley Hotel in the near future.

Property Manager

Been to The Crossley Hotel? Share your experiences!