“Personal, central and styley boutique hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Special Deal
1 Free Breakfast Daily
Ranked #4 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Auckland,NZ
“Personal, central and styley boutique hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My husband and I recently spent 4 nights at the Adelphi during the Australian Open. We loved the friendly and helpful staff - thanks Ricky and Lea especially - who did their best to make you feel an honoured guest, remembering your names (a very effective technique!) and details about your stay which made the whole experience so much more personal. The very best has been made of an inner Melbourne old building with creative and artistic detailing and furnishings giving what could have been a dark, chilly cavern a comfortable, modern twist. there is a pleasant cocktail bar, and we can thoroughly recommend the dry martini cocktails mixed by Fletcher. Our room was a good size with interesting furnishings and the bathroom enormous. As in most hotel rooms, the lighting was for effect rather than bright enough for aging eyes! But that is a small gripe. No view, but that was to be expected from the location. We overlooked the side alley and have to say that we did not notice any street noise, even though we were only on Floor 4. Lovely touches such as the welcoming message on the mirror and the tempting, complimentary goodies in a beautiful glass jar. To be highly recommended. We will be back!

Room Tip: Room 402 has a large bathroom and overlooks a side alley which we found quite quiet.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Teignmouth, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The hotel is in a great location in the CBD of Melbourne, itself a buzzy, exciting city.
Adelphi is very near the hub, easy walking access to shops and great restaurants.

The staff were smart and courteous and helpful. The little chocolate macaroon by the beside and personal, welcome message scribbled on the lounge mirror nice touches.

The air con was quiet. The room was quiet.

One star is witheld because the bathroom designed with stainless steel reminded me of a hospital washroom... and bec it was also not butted up to the back wall meant that your small items fell off easily behind. But its a small detraction.

The rooftop swimming pool was pleasant enough for an evening day on the hottest days of our 3 week stay in the city. We were at the hotel two days.

All in all a very nice hotel.

Room Tip: Perhaps one in the higher floors
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Cairns, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I stayed for 5 nights and was looking forward to the style and swank of this "recently" renovated boutique hotel. I booked a plush room on the 6th floor. Did the hotel deliver....well not really. There were some exceptional moments like when I was stranded for dinner reservation and the wonderful front desk gals escorted me to a nearby "hot" restaurant and arranged a table. But on the down side..the place is looking tired, the beds not that comfortable, inability to open a window to get fresh air, lack of help with luggage, limited dining options and so on. I want to stay in the hotel shown on the website....but alas I stayed at a different one. Location however is great.

Room Tip: Most rooms no view. Rooms near the lift well can be very noisy. Street noise on level 6 was OK but...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We decided at the last minute to get a room at the Adelphi Hotel on the Australia Day long weekend, after seeing it listed on the Design Hotels website.

I haven't thought about the hotel for years but the new candy themed makeover was cute and matched the idea of having a 'decadent' weekend - all rules were out.

The hotel suite was cool - lots of chocolate brown and flashes of candy colours and a huge chevron patterned rug. I also liked the little touches like the little log coffee table, the stainless steel sheet hiding the fridge and backlit circular mirror. I liked the old windows and the myriad of blinds covering it.

We got a Flinders King which faces Flinders Lane, so there was noise late into the night. We were aware of this so had brought our own earplugs so it didn't bother us at all. We both had a fantastic nights sleep.

The king size bed was very comfy. People on this site always complain about the pillows being too soft but I liked them. All my favourite hotels overseas have them so people should get over it. We had trouble with the lighting, it took half an hour to work out how turn all the lights off.

On the day we checked in there was a poolside BBQ with cocktails. The BBQ food was delicious and cocktails in the sun made everything woozy. The whole scene was a bit intense - so many lager swilling British nationals here for the tennis taking never-ending selfies and dry humping in the pool. The vibe was a bit sexual - next to us a pan-european backpacker in a g-string, bobbed her tramp stamped butt up and down, everything pushed up and out as she perched on the pool ladder. As I scanned the vista I noted there were also some families and older people and that kinda chilled it out a bit.

To be honest the whole thing seemed a bit ramshackle - as if their marketing was off kilter and the wrong people had turned up. Having said that maybe that's what made it fun?

After dinner we made our pilgrimmage to the Adelphi's Om Nom Dessert Restaurant. We got the famous Raspberry Fields and the mango cake which we enjoyed so much we ordered a third dessert - the Black Forrest ice cream cake - the cherry jelly was amazing.

The service was at the Hotel was very professional. Everyone we dealt with was friendly even the poor night manager who we called upon to help us with the lights at 2am.

Finally, I have to say I loved the freebies - the candy was swiftly eaten and the Aesop-esque toiletries (by Appelles Apothecary and Lab) were a luxe treat. The bath caviar managed the feat of smelling earthy, clean and rich - what a lovely surprise.

The hotel's candy theme which may seem odd was actually very effective in communicating the idea of fun - which help create a romantic and memorable stay. I would stay at the Adelphi again and I would recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room choose one toward the back of hotel, Flinders Lane can be noisy.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Penrith, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

My husband and I have just returned from a 2 night getaway for our 5th wedding anniversary. Amazed would be an understatement.

From the moment we arrived, we felt that the staff genuinely cared about making our time there special. We checked in early without any fuss at all. The beautiful plush King suite was bright and cheery, with special little touches that just make it something out of the ordinary.

The mini bar which is included in the price was delicious. The roof top pool lots of fun. The location unbeatable. We did not eat at the restaurant due to limited time but would love to next visit as it looked amazing. The room was immaculate, including the bathroom!

What more can I say than we were impressed from check in to check out and would definately stay there again, hopefully soon!

Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Centennial Park
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The location of this hotel couldn't get much better. It is surrounded by fun, good quality restaurants and bars and a (very) short walk to Bourke St Mall, Flinders St station, the MCC, Capt Cooks Cottage etc etc. The service was great, very friendly and very courteous. My only complaint is the pillows were too soft and therefore uncomfortable.
I would definitely stay here again. Thoroughly recommended!

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back of the hotel as they are quieter.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My 5-point criteria rates the Adelphi a solid 4 stars. On the helpfulness criteria it scores 1/2 - the staff did there best but I was surprised that they didn't have more information on-hand about the top restaurants in the area. On cleanliness it scores 1, no problems here. On bed comfort it scores 1/2 - they were too soft for my liking and the pillows too large. It wasn't noisy for us but I did note that they provide earplugs (our room was on low level, street facing). The Lavaza in room coffee machine ensures it scores 1 for morning coffee quality, although we didn't have breakfast so can't vouch for the breakfast coffee. Now let me see, this hotel scores well on wow factor but I'd have to say that there was something I didn't like about the candy theme. But that's purely subjective, so I'm still gonna give it 1 point for wow factor.

So four points it is!

Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Adelphi Hotel? Share your experiences!