“I would take the drive and go to Werribee” 3 of 5 stars

and up
Melbourne Zoo General Entry Ticket
Ranked #15 of 491 things to do in Melbourne
More attraction details
Owner description: Journey through a world of wildlife in the heart of Melbourne. Over 250 species from around the world can be found in the beautiful setting of Melbourne Zoo, just five minutes from the city centre. Stroll through the lush Asian and African rainforests, Australian bushland and even underwater! Walk where tigers roam and monkeys swing from tree to tree. See eye-to-eye with the Orang-utans in their special elevated exhibit, explore the Trail of Elephants and then head down the bush track to see unique Australian wildlife including koalas, kangaroos, wombats and emus. Submerge yourself in our underwater world to see Victoria's iconic Little Penguins, Australian Fur Seals and more! Don't miss: Lion Gorge, our new lion experience which will have you come face-to-face with our magnificent African Lion bachelor group. Meet the Keeper: Hear our expert keepers give daily talks about the animals in their care. Close-up Encounters: Book a close-up encounter with one of our animals for a great photo opportunity.
29 attraction reviews
“I would take the drive and go to Werribee”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

New enclosures are great, and it's easily laid out, so I found it easy to find people I was meeting up with.
However, it's not as fun as the Werribee Zoo. I kept finding myself feeling sorry for the lack of space and lack of habitat the animals had. I know it is a Zoo, but Werribee is much nicer and worth the drive.

Visited July 2014

• Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Adelaide, Australia
16 attraction reviews
“One of the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

This is one of the best Zoo's I have been to. I took my young daughter here on a recent trip to Melbourne and we both had a great time. They were running a special when we went and children were free on the weekends so its worth keeping an eye out on there website for promotions. We arrived right on opening time and this was a great choice as there were very few people there early in the morning. We got to see lots of the exhibits either by ourselves or with only a couple of other people until later in the morning when it became increasingly busier. We took the tram (#55) from the queen Victoria markets which was a no fuss way of getting there. I would highly recommend the Melbourne zoo for families with children and you could easily fill in 5 or so hours here wandering around

Croydon, Australia
12 attraction reviews
“Love it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Our melbourne zoo, is a great sized zoo, with staff that carnt do enough to help you, beautiful gardens, and picnic areas in the shade or out in the open. The day we went it was sunny, the animals where playing, and the animals have great sized areas to roam and just be who they should be. To see the tigers running up to the water and jumping in and swimming was fantastic to see. The red pandas just taking in the sun rays, the monkeys just resting cleaning each other, I could go on and on but something to do for yourself, family, or friends, or even coming from overseas or another australian state don't over look owe fantastic zoo.

8 attraction reviews
“Best Zoo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

I loved the animals and the Kangaroos especially. The zoo was beautiful and I saw many animals that I've never seen before. I've been to zoos all over the world and this is one of the best!

6 attraction reviews
“Grandson's Birthday at Zoo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

It was cloudy in the morning, but became brighter as the day progressed. Couldn't think of any better way to spend the day. Enjoyed every bit of our stay there.

Visited March 2014