“Wrong timing perhaps?” 3 of 5 stars

and up
Melbourne Zoo General Entry Ticket
Ranked #18 of 490 things to do in Melbourne
More attraction details
Owner description: Journey through a world of wildlife in the heart of Melbourne. Over 250 species from around the world can be found in the beautiful setting of Melbourne Zoo, just five minutes from the city centre. Stroll through the lush Asian and African rainforests, Australian bushland and even underwater! Walk where tigers roam and monkeys swing from tree to tree. See eye-to-eye with the Orang-utans in their special elevated exhibit, explore the Trail of Elephants and then head down the bush track to see unique Australian wildlife including koalas, kangaroos, wombats and emus. Submerge yourself in our underwater world to see Victoria's iconic Little Penguins, Australian Fur Seals and more! Don't miss: Lion Gorge, our new lion experience which will have you come face-to-face with our magnificent African Lion bachelor group. Meet the Keeper: Hear our expert keepers give daily talks about the animals in their care. Close-up Encounters: Book a close-up encounter with one of our animals for a great photo opportunity.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 attraction reviews
“Wrong timing perhaps?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Did not quit enjoy as a lot of the animals were sleeping. Most probably due to the time that we went. We were there in the afternoon.

Visited February 2013

• Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Wagga Wagga, NSW
13 attraction reviews
“BEST ZOO IN THE WORLD!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I love zoo's & have travelled the world seeing them. I once went to San Diego zoo which is meant to be the best & we were so disappointed. The Melbourne zoo is WAY better & its HUGE!!! Great for kids (or adults) to enjoy the day out.

Visited August 2012
Melbourne, Australia
“I Animal - No”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

In January 2013 I went to the Zoo with my son and three grandchildren. It was a wonderful family experience and I would highly recommend it to anyone. However, I hesitate to recommend ALL Zoo functions. On 18 February 2013 I went with three friends to an evening function called "I Animal". We took the penguin tour for which we were each given a touch I-Pod with commentary. After about 20 minutes I gave up in disgust because the commentary was full of obscene language (an attendant called it "adult language" but in reality it was obscene gratuitous swearing). This was very disappointing after my experience the previous month.. The "I Animal" evening could have been just as wonderful because the setting at that time of the day was quite magical. I can only hope that the Zoo does not continue along the same line with future events. On both visits, staff members were extremely helpful and polite, especially in regard to the assistance rendered to a wheelchairbound member of our group . I base this review on my first experience at the Zoo, in the hope that the "I Animal" event was just an aberration.

Visited January 2013
Melbourne-Zoo, Marketing at Melbourne Zoo, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Hi,
Thank you s much for your support for Zoos Victoria, it is wonderful to hear you have visited us more than once! We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy I,Animal. We understand that the experience is not for all consumers as it contains adult themes, we will certainly take on your feedback. In positive news we can assure you that the other loops (elephant, monkey and giraffe) have different themes which we you may find more enjoyable.
Thanks again for your comments.
Zoos Victoria
Melbourne, Australia
16 attraction reviews
“Great 1/2 day out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Love the zoo. Easy to get around & great place to take the kids for a half day activity, If you take a picnic you could easily spemd the day there as there are plenty of place to sit

Visited November 2012
Melbourne
8 attraction reviews
“Melbourne Zoo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

The improvements that Melbourne zoo has made since I last visited have been amazing. The Elephant enclosure is a vast improvement on the tiny little enclosure they had. The only complaint I have is one day is not long enough to see all of the zoo. We always have to forgo something

Visited December 2012