“What a Dreadful experience” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Atlantis Hotel

You added BEST WESTERN Atlantis Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Atlantis Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   300 Spencer Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Ranked #88 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“What a Dreadful experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2011

I have stayed in hotels all over the world this would be the worst ever, the staff just horrible not helpful at all and very very unfriendly.
Air condition very noisy when we asked to be fixed they told us to leave the bathroom light on and there was nothing else they could do.
The room not very clean we stayed there for 5 day our room not touched, no change of sheets for the five days, on the last night they removed the top sheet and left us with the quilt cover we helped ourselves to a clean top sheet from the trolly and made the bed ourselves. I

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
atlantis300, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Atlantis Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2011
Thank you for your feedback - it is greatly appreciated in helping us continue to improve.

From my experience all our front desk staff are extremely friendly and try to assist guests in every way possible. That said I am sorry to hear about your experience and will be raising this review with them immediately.

Furthermore I have provided a copy of this review to the Housekeeping Supervisor for comment however given we do not know which room you stayed in it is a little hard to follow up with you but please accept my apology that the bed was not made to your satisfaction.

Here at the Atlantis Hotel we do a complete linen change on each 3rd night of a stay (as is industry standard) and this is then documented and kept at the front desk at all times. Hence during your 5 night stay with us the linen would have been changed at least once possible twice if required. Again due to not knowing your room number I am unable to give you any accurate information.

Thanks again for taking the time to review the hotel and do hope when you are next in Melbourne you choose to stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

Booked hotel in advance for the Australian Formula 1 GP and was not disappointed for comfort, location and price. The location was fantastic for access to the Melbourne Tram network and access to the GP, shopping a dining areas in the CBD.

I traveled with a group of 5 people with a booked two bedroom room apartment. The room comprised of 1 double bed, 2 singles and a fold out trundle bed. Very comfortable bedding facilities, clean bathroom and room ambiance was good except the view from the 7th floor was terrible.

The continental breakfast is good for a quick easy breakfast although I consider it $4 to $5 over priced for the service offered. The lack of English speaking staff in the breakfast room was questionable but I couldn't complain with the friendly service and good scrambled eggs.

The only BAD experience was from the hostile personnel at the front counter. Upon arrival we were greeted by a with what seemed like a disgruntled employee with a bad attitude and this did flow on for the duration of our stay with 70% of the staff. Every question/request seemed like arduous task even when requested during with what seemed like a quite time of the day. I couldn't complain about the night-time staff manned at the front desk.

I did find it odd to receive a letter to come down to reception to pay for 50% of our bill. Upon friendly questioning we were forcefully told that it's "COMPANY POLICY" to do so. I have never been asked to fix up a bill half way through my stay as I thought that's what the security of my credit card was for.

Very weird indeed.

hostile reception.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
atlantis300, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Atlantis Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2011

Here at the Atlantis Hotel we try to provide excellent accommodation at value for money prices and this extends into our breakfast, car parking and internet charges which are all amongst the lowest in Melbourne.

As you would have experienced we provide a buffet continental breakfast at a cost of $11 per person which includes unlimited cereals, toasts, juices, scrambled eggs, baked beans and other such items. We find this to be the most competitive breakfast at any hotel in Melbourne and I know a coffee alone these days can be $3 - $4.

The reason why you received a friendly letter under your door requesting payment is that unlike any other hotel probably in the world we do not electronically pre-authorise a guests credit card on arrival as we know how much of a nuisance it can be when a hotel or car rental company forgets to remove this pre-authorisation and it limits your spending weeks later. Hence once a guest’s account reaches a certain limit we request a payment – personally I think this is a very fair system however I do appreciate your feedback as we are looking at doing electronic pre-authorises in the future.

Yes my Night Auditors (night staff) are great and a couple of them have been here for several years now – I will be passing your feedback onto them personally.

Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

This may be a 'no frills' hotel but there was no remote control for the TV when I checked in. I also removed the 'do not disturb' sign from the door to my hotel room at noon but it sitll remained un-serviced. Saturday morning the breakfast service was due to finish at 10.30am but the staff were sweeping the floor at 10.10am. Another day the same staff would not replenish the 'baine marie' breakfast foodwarmers at 10.20am even though they still allowed people to enter the restaurant. This was only corrected after some complaints.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Sidmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

Super hotel, swimming pool good, but chilly.
Great position for free tram and airport bus.
Male receptionist who greeted me by my name really made me welcome
after 23 hours travelling.
Safe didnt work though.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
atlantis300, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Atlantis Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2011

Front Desk Team
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

We've stayed in Atlantis for a couple of nights and loved it! The location is absolutely fantastic, rooms clean and spacious and hotel sauna and pool are available to guests until 9 pm. Also, we could park in hotel garage for extra $15 per day, which is not bad for Melbourne.
I can highly recommend!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the feedback it is much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in Melbourne.

Front Desk Team
bendigo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the atlantis for a weekend away, we ended up with bed bugs from one of the rooms, the treatment i received when i rang was appalling, i have rang 7 times over a period of 3 weeks, and have only just been told that im getting no compensation, as they say they clean the rooms, i have been to the doctor and he has confirmed that it was bed bugs both on my husband and myself.
Very disappointing as it is a great location, but will definately not be staying there again, and will be informing friends and family the same

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
atlantis300, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Atlantis Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2011
This claim is totally unsubstantiated – we have NEVER had an issue like this before.

The particular room this guest stayed in has been thoroughly checked and rechecked.

This guest called the hotel asking for monetary “compensation” or she would write a review such as this – hence effectively blackmailing the hotel. When we offered to present her with a certificate from our pest control company showing that the room did not have any issues claim she was adamant and hence this review is the result.

If you want a balanced review of the hotel please read other reviews and you will never see mention of this issue in any other review.

Regards
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

Upon entering Atlantis Hotel the staff had a welcoming smile were courteous and attentive, my check in and check out was handled efficiently. Throughout my three day stay the staff offered excellent service, the room i occupied was exceptionally clean and the cleaners kept it spotless the room had all the amenities a person would require. My room smelled fresh and clean the bed was very comfortable. I enjoyed great breakfasts and the room service was prompt and obliging, the hotel was perfectly situated and was close to all amenities mostly within walking distance. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and will become a regular customer.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Been to BEST WESTERN Atlantis Hotel? Share your experiences!