“Hotel okay - staff GREAT” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Melbourne Marriott Hotel

Save Saved
You added Melbourne Marriott Hotel to your Saves list
Melbourne Marriott Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner Exhibition And Lonsdale Streets, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #10 of 170 Hotels in Melbourne
Wuppertal, Germany
“Hotel okay - staff GREAT”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for seven nights. I am sorry that I had not carefully read everything that had been written in Tripadvisor: when booking I had requested a room away from the street - mostly because I wanted a quiet room - I was not so concerend about the view at the time of booking. However, I was not quite prepared for the view from my room: when I opend the curtains I looked straight into the fitness room separated by just a few meters of space and the windows. Basically it meant that I had to keep the curtains drawn if I did not want to feel or be watched. This part I really did not like about the hotel. On the weekend my room seemed to be the last on the housekeeping list: on Saturday the housekeeping came close to 4 o-clock in the afternoon. I do realise that there is a schedule and not all rooms can be done at the same time or in the morning but still. I had left the hotel for 4 hours and had expected to come back to a serviced room. Not really a big deal - I figure the hotel may have been short staffed.
So much for the negatives. The positives: The staff is truly wonderful, helpful and just very nice. The breakfast buffet is a bit on the expensive side but very much worth it. I had room-service for dinner because I had to do a lot of work in the evening and the wet and stormy weather made staying in easy. All the meals served were good to excellent! I want to thank the staff again for being so attentive and making my stay such a pleasant one.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor if you want a room away from the street.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
MelbourneMarriott, Guest Relations Manager at Melbourne Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear monika_everywhere,

As you were here with us for 7 nights we do wish you had mentioned that you would have been happier in another room as it would have been easy to re-allocate and assist you with the move. We service rooms all day and complete the rooms first where guests have checked out. Obviously this is to ensure they are ready for new arrivals. On any future visits however please do not hesitate to let us know a convenient time as this can easily be arranged. Your appreciation will be passed on to our staff. They do try very hard and it is a terrific boost for morale when their efforts are acknowledged. We do hope you will consider staying with us when you are next in town.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Indonesian first
Belfast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Was in Melbourne for a 1 night stay booked by a relative living close to Melbourne. Paid approx $200 per room for 2 double rooms on a room only basis. Although it's a good enough quality hotel, I thought that was expensive for what you got. Went to the bar for Happy hour before heading for our evening out, but choice of drinks in the Happy hour was very restricted so paid normal hotel prices foir drinks. After we returned from having our evening meal we were going to have a night cap but the bar was closed. When checking out the next morning the receptionist didn't ask if everything was OK with our stay which I'm normally asked when I stay at high end hotels. Overall I thought it was a good enough hotel but not outstanding.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

My family and I decided on a very last minute trip to Melbourne, booking everything only a week in advance. We were extremely lucky to secure ourselves a Guest Room with a two double bed configuration at the Melbourne Marriott Hotel.

The day before our check-in, I received a courtesy call from the hotel, confirming our booking, which I thought that this was fantastic service. I was informed that all rooms with two double beds were already sold out, so we were put into a room with one double and one fold-out couch.

We arrived at the hotel at around midnight on a Friday night. The staff member who checked us in was extremely friendly and helpful, and offered to bring a bottle of bubbly up to the room for us to share - this unfortunately never came, but none of us really minded considering the late hour and our combined fatigue.

The room itself was wonderful - spacious and bright, with partial street view over Lonsdale Street which was a real bonus as we hadn't booked one of the City View rooms. Subsequently, there was some Saturday and Sunday night noise from the rooftop bar across the road, but nothing excessively loud.

The location of the Marriott is perfect for my family, as we love going to many of the restaurants nearby on Spring Street and Bourke Street, and it's such a short walk down towards Federation Square and the Galleries.

All in all, a very good stay at the Marriott Melbourne, and we'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear redrose93,

Thank you for your review following your experience at the Melbourne Marriott Hotel. It was so pleasing to hear that your expectations were met and that you enjoyed your time here with us. We were very disappointed however to hear that the promised bubbly was not delivered to your room, even though it was very late. Thank you for letting us know. We are very centrally located and we were glad that you were able to take advantage of our location. We do hope to welcome you and the family back when you next visit Melbourne.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed at this hotel simply because it was the best value for our budget. And what a great surprise! When we walked in we recieved a glass of bubbly to welcome us and that was a lovely start to a great weekend. The location of the hotel is very good, the rooms are spotless, very comfortable and airconditioning is perfect - good temperature and no noise. Above all the staff are as good as you will get anywhere in any hotel at any price level anywhere in the World; super friendly, helpful and efficient - truly exceptional. You won't regret staying here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
MelbourneMarriott, Guest Relations Manager at Melbourne Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Sensational to read your review! So pleased everything was to your satisfaction. It would be our great pleasure to welcome you back again.
Wollongong, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Melbourne Marriott for 3 nights in July. We decided to upgrade to the executive lounge which got us a room on level 10. Sadly our view out the window was of a brick wall, but the executive lounge made up for it. We made good use of the breakfasts, canapes and drinks, and it was well worth the extra price.

The customer service is always excellent here, the staff always greet you with a smile and seem happy to be working there. The location of the hotel is good as it is close to the CBD. The room itself was fine, I love the marble bathroom and the very comfortable bed. I stay here every time I'm in Melbourne and have never regretted it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Glad you enjoyed your stay on one of our Executive Levels (with access to the Lounge). Rooms which face away from Exhibition Street are very quiet and do not get the direct morning sun (if you want to sleep in), but unfortunately they do not have a view. Please be sure to request a room facing the front on any future visits. Thank you for highlighting the convenience of our location to all that this great city has to offer. Look forward to welcoming you back again on your next visit to Melbourne.
Expat OS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

So, admittedly I got the last available room so that might have explained the depressing 1980s décor and the roaring heater, but this room was definitely nothing to write home about. I arrived in Melbourne a day early because I'd been trying to get ahead of some bad weather in the Middle East, but neglected to book a hotel. It turned out to be a major football weekend and there was no vacancy anywhere except a $700 'suite' here. After talking them down to $400 since it was 2 in the morning by then and it didn't seem like the room would be occupied otherwise, I crawled into my perfectly comfortable bed in my rather bleak room and got a decent sleep. The front desk staff were very helpful and welcoming - I didn't eat the breakfast but it looked OK. Hard to be too critical - I was desperate. If all you're looking for is an expensive place to lay your head, this place will do.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Aberdeen, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We had a simply wonderful stay at the Melbourne Marriott! The staff were extremely friendly and helpful to you from the concierge as you first entered the hotel, to the front desk staff to Freddy who made up our room. I have to say a special thanks to Sandra in the Executive Lounge though – her customer service skills are superb, making you feel like a long time guest of the hotel rather than someone who has just appeared.

Our room was on the 10th floor right beside the elevator and what a fantastically, modern, stylish and roomy room we had! There was loads of room to store our large bags and we did kind of make ourselves at home during our 5 night stay here! I loved the separate wardrobe/dressing area which made the room feel extra spacious. The bathroom was as equally contemporary. My only grumble and it’s a common one for Marriott customers is the pillows – while they may be big and soft, some of us would like a more firmer pillow!!!

Being a connoisseur of Marriott burgers, I have to say the ones served in this hotel were among the worst I have had! We ate breakfast in the Executive Lounge where Sonia looked after us very well so can’t comment on what their restaurant breakfasts are like.

The hotel isn't on one of the main tram routes in Melbourne but one is had a short distance along Exhibition Street or you can catch the bus from round the corner instead that will take you to Flinders Street.

We departed sad from this hotel because the experience was that good and hope to return again some day.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
It was great to read your comments about your visit with us and your review has been passed on to to our associates Freddy, Sandra and Sonia. It's always good to know you're appreciated! Please don't hesitate to request different pillows on any future visits as we do have a selection available - I am sorry you you were uncomfortable this time. Your disappointment with the burgers has been reviewed with our Executive Chef. This is not our normal feedback so please be assured that cooking and presentation standards will be reinforced with all concerned. Thank you sincerely for bringing it to our attention. Can't wait to see you back again !

Been to Melbourne Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!