“Gee Hilton, you know how to take the fun out of travelling” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton On The Park Melbourne

Save Saved
You added Hilton On The Park Melbourne to your Saves list
Hilton On The Park Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   192 Wellington Parade, Melbourne, Victoria 3002, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Book Early & Save
Ranked #81 of 170 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Gee Hilton, you know how to take the fun out of travelling”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Okay I acknowledge that this is a very old property that is in desperate need of demolition / refurbishment but it's age could be mitigated by above par service and attention to guest detail.

Sadly, everything from check-in to in-room dining and customer service is at best 3 star which only exacerbates the poor condition of the building fabric.

At check-in, did they manage to do anything well? Afraid not. In-room dining? About the standard of a roadside diner. Care and attention in room design to guest comfort? Sadly non-existent. In-room TV choice? Could do better on my mobile.

If there are 25 x 4 star plus hotels in the City of Melbourne for an executive to choose from, I challenge the other 24 to compete for last spot because this hotel's strongest point is that is hands down the worst hotel I have had the displeasure to stay in for a long time. And that is based on 30+ days in executive hotels on average each year.

If you are going to a game at the MCG then I can see the logic in looking at this hotel as an option but to be honest Melbourne has a great public transport system so for a small outlay you could end us staying in a vastly superior hotel a bit further away.

Stay here and prepare to be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Hilton On The Park Melbourne, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and I’m sorry for the disappointment caused while staying. Rest assured your comments have been shared with all concerned and we will review the areas highlighted for improvement as a result of your feedback. We do receive many positive comments and I do hope you will experience a better stay should you give us a second chance. Brett Christ, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Polish first
Hungerford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights while the British & Irish Lions played the Wallabies!
Although a bit of a walk into town it wasn't too far. Staff were friendly (reception a little on the cool side to be completely honest) but otherwise the concierge team and the bar staff were excellent. Surprised that weren't offered to upgrade to include breakfast in our rate as this was definitely a missed opportunity to bag a sale! We had a voucher for buy one get one free for drinks in our room but it wasn't replaced on the second day of the stay and this would have encouraged us to stay and spend our money in the hotel bar. Decor wise it is slightly dated and a bit dull but it's very clean and our room was large and spacious and had everything we needed in it. The stunning views over to the MCG were just a bonus. The housekeeping staff were very good. Unlike the previous reviewer when we arrived from Dubai we didn't ask for our room at 07.00 am which after a long flight would have been extremely welcome but we did know that we were staying on a busy weekend with both the Lions and then a AFL game on that weekend so were quite happy to store our luggage and freshen up in the spa area( very quite as it wasn't open so had the changing areas to ourselves) and the staff couldn't have been nicer. Can't comment on food as didn't eat and weren't encouraged to - didn't even get information about where we could eat in the hotel if we were of that mind (perhaps another missed opportunity). Took a taxi back from town one night and it wasn't expensive at all (even by Melbourne standards) so I wouldn't let that put you off. The hotel is just opposite a train station and there are buses and trams (but I think you have to buy a card before you can buy a ticket for the tram) The best tram is the free number 35 that does a circular loop and to be honest it's meant to be a tourist thing but it seems that everyone just uses it but it's great!! Would come back to this hotel again if returning to Melbourne.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Hilton On The Park Melbourne, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience. I am very happy to hear that the staff took such good care of you and you found the amenities of the property to your liking. We sincerely appreciate all of your feedback to improve our guest experience. We hope you will consider staying with us in the future. Brett Christ, General Manager
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I stayed here for one night when in Melbourne for a show. As it is a 5 star hotel I had great expectations but I concluded that, on my experience it was OK but I've experienced better. I had a bad experience at the Adelaide Hilton in 2010 that I described on Tripadvisor. In fairness the experience here was better. My chief annoyance was the demand for $24 for a WiFi connection in my room. The hotel offers free WiFi in the lobby but that is not exactly convenient. It is also out of step with all other Australian hotels I have stayed at since May. Australian hotels have awakened to find that they are uncompetitive with overseas hotels and free WiFi is just one area where they have decided to try and catch up. However, not the Hilton on the Park. As for the rest of the experience, the receptionist was coolly efficient rather than welcoming. The room (201) had no view and was rather dingy being painted olive green. The room did have an excellent bathroom which was well lit and well designed. The shower worked very well. However, the toilet was single flush and there were no messages about reusing towels and about the environment. The bed was very good and a pillow menu was provided but not really necessary as the collection provided was varied and offered a good range of options. The air conditioning was simple to operate. The room proper had subtle lighting which was lower than I would select. I did not try breakfast or any of the other hospitality. I would be reluctant to return here unless the hotel revises its WiFi policy. The other features do not add up to a really top package for the money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
I am pleased to note you were satisfied with some aspects of your visit and that the team contributed to the enjoyment and comfort of your stay. Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts for improvement. I have passed on your comments to the appropriate management for their future consideration and review - I appreciate the feedback. We do hope to welcome you back to the Hilton on the Park Melbourne – there will always be a warm welcome waiting. Brett Christ, General Manager
Manama, Bahrain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Hubby and I bought a Secret Hotel Deal on wotif and were happy to receive the Hilton on the Park for two nights. We arrived at 7.30am the day we were suppose to check in, but they still allowed us to check in that time which was super appreciated considering we were exhausted from our red-eye trip and a little jetlagged! We were also given a complimentary upgrade which was nice :))

The room was nice enough, very comfortable kings size bed with amazing pillows you sink into :) Nice bathroom with plenty of hot water. Complimentary robes to use, all the little bits and bobs u expect in a 5 star hotel was present. We had a nice view too :D

Our only complaint was that they gave us a room RIGHT NEXT to the elevators!! So everytime it was used u could hear it going up and down, like a tram. It was annoying at first but eventually u could drone it out. It was louder in the bathroom tho. So my only HUGE suggestion for anybody wanting to use this hotel is ask for a suite/room AWAY from the elevators!!

Apart from that, the service was super friendly and attentive. Breakfast was okay altho a little on the plain side compared to other buffet breakfasts I've tried in other hotels. For example, there was nobody at the egg station in case you wanted something OTHER than sunny side up eggs which were already on a warmed plate on the table. Also the menu said fried mushrooms were on the buffet breakfast, but for the two days we were there, fried mushrooms were not present! Only baby potatoes! Who has potatoes for breakfast if you dont mind me asking? It was still satisfying, and if you're going to go for the breakfast, you pay LESS per person if you book in advance as opposed to rocking up at the restaurant on the door and getting a table :)

One of the best things about the hotel is its proximity to the CDB. Less than 10 mins by foot. Its set in a really great location :)

Overall tho, a good hotel and I would probably stay there again...but this time ask for a room away from the elevators :) I'd have no problems recommending it to others :D

Room Tip: Ask for a room AWAY from the elevators!!!!! And pay for your buffet breakfast up front when u check...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
I am very happy to read your comments about your recent stay and glad that you found the location and service levels of the hotel to your satisfaction. I’m sorry for the noise issues experienced - your satisfaction is very important to us and we appreciate your feedback about the thin walls. Your comments will help us to correct these issues. We hope you will consider staying with us the next time you are in Melbourne. Brett Christ, General Manager
Gold Coast
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

The location is a little remote for my liking.
There are a couple of restaurants and convenience type stores nearby but for any real variety you need to walk long distances or catch a cab if you don't have a car. There is no shopping nearby either.
The lobby/bar area lacks atmosphere.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for the comments and hope to see you return soon. Brett Christ, General Manager
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

The hotel is located on the park a 10 minute walk downtown. The Rod Laver Tennis stadium and the football stadium are located across the street from the hotel. The rooms are clean well appointed and the service was excellent. The executive lounge was open the whole day and provided an escape after a full day of touring. Many local restaurants are located within a five minute walk from the hotel. A well heated outdoor pool and exercise facility as well as spa are available to guests. The concierge staff is excellent and will help with all of your arrangements from transportation and great restaurant recommendations.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
HiltonSouthWharf, General Manager at Hilton On The Park Melbourne, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Just wanted to thank you for your recent stay here at Hilton on the Park! So glad you were able to experience our warm Hilton hospitality and the Concierge team contributed to the enjoyment of your visit. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Brett Christ, General Manager
Holt, Norfolk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I am biased, as I really like this property, and have said so before. I stayed here for 6 nights and for whatever reasons, it works. Yes, its old fashioned. Yes, its slightly out of town. Yes the decoration is dated. Yes the shower is over the bath. But the staff are brilliant. The hotel feels friendky. And its all down to the GM whomever he or she may be.10/10 folks. I will keep coming back as my Dollar is appreciated.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience. I am very happy to hear that the staff take such good care of you on each visit. All the team hope to see you return soon! Safe travels. Brett Christ, General Manager

Been to Hilton On The Park Melbourne? Share your experiences!