“New Year's Eve in Melbourne Australia” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton On The Park Melbourne

You added Hilton On The Park Melbourne to your Saves list
Hilton On The Park Melbourne
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   192 Wellington Parade, Melbourne, Victoria 3002, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Book Early & Save
Ranked #82 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
melbourne
“New Year's Eve in Melbourne Australia”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

New Year's Eve in Melbourne is usually a hot and sometimes humid experience. Having tried staying at the Hilton South Wharf two years ago, this time I thought we would try the other Hilton hotel in the city--Hilton on the Park. As a Hilton Honors member, I first tried the Hilton site but there were no available rooms two months before the event. Through an enjoyable guessing game, I found it via Secret Hotel at lastminute.com.au website, and booked a reasonably priced room, 1 king and one roll-away bed (for the child) but no breakfast, which is to be expected at that price for that time of the year.
I will not repeat the comments of the other reviewers about the hotel being old and dated; however, it is worthwhile repeating that customer service was really good. Everybody was polite, friendly and helpful. Having a pool was a godsend with the Melbourne summer, a feature that the more modern Hilton South Wharf didn't have. Because of the 35 degree dry heat, the outdoor pool was packed but nobody was complaining. Although it was a good 15 minute walk to Federation Square for the 9:30 pm and midnight fireworks display , it was no bother because public transport on trains and trams were free after 6 pm. Beds were comfortable, and we even bought buffet breakfast at their restaurant which had an okay selection. Self-parking was A$27. All in all, it was a convenient, stress-free short break and a good start to the new year.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
AndreasBoettger, General Manager at Hilton On The Park Melbourne, responded to this review, January 10, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your New Year’s Eve experience. I’m pleased you found a good deal to suit your travel requirements and very happy to hear that the staff took such good care of you and you could enjoy the pool on such a hot day to welcome 2012. We hope to see you return soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Surfers Paradise, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

Hilton on the Park is perfectly located in East Melbourne only a few mins walk to the main sporting precinct including the MCG. And it's only a short tram ride when you need to go to the CBD.

Check-in staff are lovely, making the process quick & easy, and also made sure I was on the top floor overlooking the MCG. Rooms are certainly large enough, good size flat screen TV, nice bathroom with decent shower, and at first glance a comfy bed. However upon closer inspection I discovered that the king bed is actually 2 king singles pushed together. This was my only disappointment of the stay & reason why it lost 1 star. I mentioned this to the staff at checkout and the helpful young lady said that in future they can arrange for a mattress to be placed on top for a more comfortable sleep. As a suggestion to management - perhaps new beds can be implemented when a refurb is done in future.

The heated outdoor swimming pool is good to relax but didn't have time to use the gym this stay. All the little extras expected are included such as fluffy bath robes and newspaper. Highly recommend the buffet brekky which is better than most including cooked to order omelettes & pancakes, and fresh barista coffee. Service is quick & friendly at all times. Had an issue printing a boarding pass at the business centre but the staff were quick to resolve this & likewise nothing was too much trouble with the concierge.

Highly recommend this hotel if you're attending major sporting events in Melbourne or even if you want to be away from the city traffic jams & take a stroll through Fitzroy gardens.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the MCG
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
AndreasBoettger, General Manager at Hilton On The Park Melbourne, responded to this review, January 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and will let the team know that their friendly attitudes contributed to your enjoyment. I would like to let you know that the mattresses are new, the zip allows for the room to be reconfigured between twin and double occupancy depending on our guest’s requirements. I appreciate your feedback as we will review the mattress protector thickness to ensure maximum comfort. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you, if your travels bring you back to our area.
NZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

On arrival when we entered our room we found that the electric room deodoriser was still in the room and running. It left a vile smell that was irritating to breathe. I have worked in hospitality before and leaving these in the room is certainly not acceptable.
Then I disccoverd that the rollaway bed that was made up for our son only had sheets on it, no blankets! As it was hot, we decided that it would be fine as is but when we entered the bathroom and saw around ten black hairs in the shower, we decided that it was time to involve housekeeping!
Unfortunatly the housekeeper that was sent to our room was not a native English speaker I had trouble communicating my needs with him.
Our room was serviced the next day around three pm. Not long after we had returned for a day out and wanted to have some down time out of the heat of the day, so we had to leave our room again.
Whilst waiting for the lift on our floor, I ran a quick finger along the skirting board in the lobby, only to find that it had not be dusted in some time.
And I agree with the earlier comment regarding the decor of the hotel, yes, it really does need updating.
However, other than my frustrating interraction with the housekeeper on the first day, I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. They had a very professional attitude to their job. But unfortunately, a dirty bathroom is a big no no in any establishment and certainly wasnt expected at a hotel of the Hilton name.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. I am glad you chose our hotel during your recent stay in the area and I apologize for the housekeeping problems you encountered. Dirty bathrooms are not typical at our hotel and I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. We will make every effort to ensure our rooms meet the highest housekeeping standards. Of course I was pleased to learn most of the team were helpful and we hope you will give us a second chance if you visit our area in the future.
sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011 via mobile

Great hospitality.. Value for money. Convenient location.

• Stayed December 2011
Geelong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

We stayed at the Hilton on the Park on Christmas night this year. We stayed in a room overlooking the MCG. The room was nice, the bed super comfortable. You can tell it's an older Hilton property, but it is maintained well. The weather was awful, and being Christmas night we knew not much in the area would be open so we ordered room service. It came very timely, but was extremely overpriced. The menu was extensive, just so expensive. I understand room service usually is, but this just seemed over the top. Also, if you're bringing a car, their self park is $27 a day, and the valet is $40. Would be a great place to stay if you're attending an event at the MCG or Melbourne Park, if you're touring the city you'll have a walk through the gardens to reach the CBD - nice walk but mind the weather. Also a pet hate of mine is those cheap little plastic milks provided for tea and coffee - this hotel uses them. It does say to call room service for fresh milk, but when you really want a hot drink it's annoying to have to wait for them to bring some - maybe request it at check in.

Room Tip: Get a room on a high floor, overlooking the MCG - it's the best view the hotel offers.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Deerfield, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

I have traveled to Australia six times over the past three years for business and i usually stay at Hiltons. In Melbourne it has always been the Hilton on the Park because of its size, Boutique, room confort, location and facilities. I checked in for five nights and was given an Executive Room, which is oversized, and faced the Sports Complex. On my second morning
I received a call from the General Manager, who said they need my room and wanted to upgrade me to a Suite. The suite was directly across the hall and consisted of a sitting room, bedroom and a bathroom that was same size as my bedroom. It consisted of a stand up shower, double sink vanity and a whilpool. On top of that, the hotel sent up a bottle of champagne. The timing was great since I was meeting a customer with his wife that evening at the hotel and was able to invite them to the suite for a pre dinner drink.

I do want to make a special mention in regards to the Concierge staff. As in all my previous stays, the this staff has been outstanding. A special mention to Lex Chandrasiri and Leon Yogaraj, who took special care of my needs during my stay!

Room Tip: Be a Hilton Honors Diamond member or choose an Executive Room.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing to stay with us again and for being understanding with the need for the room move - I am glad to learn that the room upgrade enabled you to host pre dinner drinks!
I will be sure to share your comments with Lex and Leon and I hope to speak to you again should your travels bring you back this way. Best wishes for the New Year!
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011 via mobile

My husband, baby and I stayed here for two nights and loved it. We found great rates on Wotif.com and when we checked in paid a little extra to upgrade to a Relaxation Suite which was gorgeous. The room consisted of the bedroom and separate lounge room. The views over the MCG and Rod Laver Arena were awesome and don't get me started on the bathroom - let's just say that the bath was more of a plunge pool than a bath, it was huge!
The staff are so friendly and it was a pleasure to be greeted by smiling faces wherever we went in the hotel.
The location is great, it is not in the busy area of the cbd, but when you want to visit the cbd it is only a lovely 10 minute walk through the gorgeous Fitzroy Gardens.
It's worth paying a little extra to get access to the executive lounge on level 18, this enables you to have afternoon tea and pre dinner drinks and canapés all while taking in the view. We will definitely stay here on our future visits to Melbourne.

• Stayed December 2011
I am very happy to hear that the team took such good care of you, you loved staying in the Relaxation Suite and the Executive Floor was to your liking. Thanks for sharing your experience and we hope to see you return soon!

Been to Hilton On The Park Melbourne? Share your experiences!