“Handy Location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Hotel Batman's Hill on Collins

Save Saved
You added Quality Hotel Batman's Hill on Collins to your Saves list
Quality Hotel Batman's Hill on Collins
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   623 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #102 of 170 Hotels in Melbourne
Adelaide
“Handy Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We recently stayed in this hotel as a gift from our daughter who lives in Melbourne. It is very conveniently located opposite the Southern Cross Station and just a short walk from Skybus. With the excellent tram system in Melbourne it's easy to get around from this location, but it is a walk to the shops and restaurants in the heart of Melbourne. We were upgraded to a Club Room which was of average size, with a very narrow balcony from which we could see down into Collins Street. The overall furnishings of the room were modern and the facilities were clean. We had the cooked buffet breakfast 2 mornings in a row. It consisted of cereal, juice, small selection of fresh fruit, sweet rolls and a hot buffet of bacon, eggs, hash browns, mushrooms, baked beans and DIY toast, all in quite plentiful supply. The first morning coffee and tea was from heated thermos flasks which was a little disappointing but the following morning the coffee machine was in use and produced an excellent cup of coffee. The staff were very friendly and helpful and in all these respects the hotel could not be faulted.
However, my concern with this hotel is that there was no duna/quilt on the bed, just a sheet and a very thin blanket which we found in a plastic bag on the shelf. There's no central heating. Each room has it's own small air con unit, which is nice for regulating your own room temperature, but we were out most of the day and into the evening so we returned to a room that was icy cold. We had the air con on all night which was a little noisy but didn't seem to have much impact on the room temperature, hence we shivered through the coldest night I can remember. Our second night was far more comfortable, but we were in our room by about 7:30 and had the chance to warm it up with the air con before we went to bed. I would suggest that any hotel in Melbourne in winter should at least have a warm duna on the bed so that guests don't have to rely on cranking up the air con unit in the hope of having a warm night's sleep. I have stayed in many, many places in Melbourne and I would stay here again, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

We stayed here for two nights in June on a family visit to Melbourne. The hotel is in a good location right across the road from Southern Cross Station (Spencer Street Station) and handy to trams to get you to the centre of the city or anywhere else.

On arrival we asked if we would be able to pay for a late check out as check out is 10,00 am and our flight out was at 6.00pm - they let us stay in the room as long as we needed to for free. All the staff were friendly and helpful.

The restaurant/cafe had nice, reasonbly priced food for a hotel and the breakfast was quite good value too.

We had a two bedroom apartment which was quite nice but very clean. Everything in our room was working fine !!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Wagga Wagga, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Have stayed here a ferw times now whenever my husband goes to the football at Etihad Stadium. The rooms are very good - have stayed in both the King Rooms and the 2 br family rooms and they are comfortable, clean and well appointed.
There's a great bar downstairs and although I havn't eaten in the adjacent restaurant, have had snacks with a few drinks.
The parking is very limited under the building so it is important to ask for a parking when you book, as the alternative parking is a good block away.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

Stayed 1 night in Melbourne enrouted to New Zealand, has chosen this hotel due to its proximity to Southern Cross Station where the Sky Bus from the Airport will stop. Value for money although the room is small and the reception is on the 1st floor. The reception staff are helpful in showing me the places we wanted to visit on a map and even loaned us an adapter for our charger.
Trams services are also easily available outside the hotel to various parts of the city.

Room Tip: Ask for one with view.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Kandy, Sri Lanka
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Was at the location only for one night and was on a business trip. No one to help with the baggage and had to pull it up a staircase.... again to get back to the room another set of stairs with no help .. then at the room the tv is not working. the AC switch was no where to be found when called the reception they came to the room. Initially even he couldn't find the ac switch. and then realized the tv is not working walked up to the reception and they replaced the batteries and again bk at the room its still not woking so had to pull the tv box out and keep it on top of the room .... so all in all it was a really bad stay next day moved on to Hilton

Room had no windows and no way to know whether its day or night

The only good thing was the guy at reception was helpful
Location was really good but dont think ill be going there again

Room Tip: Great location
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012 via mobile

Here are my list of Gripes:
- To get into the hotel - you have to lift you heavy luggage up 5 stairs into the entry area. Reception is then up one floor. (I Have a had back and hurt it again lifting my bag up the stairs as no one from reception could see me to assist)
- Went to have a refreshing (but crappy instant) coffee when I arrived in my room to find the jug had mould in it. It appears some previous person shoved a tea leaves in there and they've burned into the base of the kettle. (so no coffee)
- The Airconditioner is noisy (had a rough nights sleep becauase of it - was too cold not to use it)
- There was no quilt on the bed It was in the cupboard in a bag (discovered after a bad nights sleep)
- Breakfast (Where to begin) roled corn, or puffed rice are your basic choices) .I ordered croissants and got three with no serrated knife so i had to spread the jam on top of the croissants. The milk was UHT tasting and tepid. :(
- I tried to fill out the breakfast menu list at 1am after finishing work on my laptop but discovered there was not one single writing implement in the room. I considered writing with papermache from toilet paper but figured it would take too long so i rang reception. I was told to come down and get one... or three. "It was your error, can you please bring the pen to me please, i'm in my pyjamas." (I had to re-dress and get to reception)

Other than these gripes, It has been an adequate hotel and I can see why many people are happy. It just does not suit me. I have travelled the world and stayed in hundreds of hotels. So i know what i'm saying isn't just being picky. Especially for $150 per night. (I've spent $99 in Italy and got service that was out-of-this-world-good!)

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

I have stayed here on a few work and social occasions and highly recommend it. Handy to Southern Cross railway station, we travelled to melbourne by the train and walked across the road to the hotel. The next day we walked back to Southern Cross and caught the Skybus to the airport for our overseas trip.

Staff are friendly and helpful, and the Collins Street tram takes you straight into the heart of the city.

Will definitely stay here again

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Quality Hotel Batman's Hill on Collins? Share your experiences!