“Always a great stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Hotel Downtowner on Lygon

Save Saved
You added Quality Hotel Downtowner on Lygon to your Saves list
Quality Hotel Downtowner on Lygon
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   66 Lygon Street | corner of Lygon Street and Queensbury Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3053, Australia (Carlton)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 20% OFF Room Rate
Ranked #39 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Always a great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Great place to stay in Melbourne being in Lygon ST with the scrumptious variety ( but mainly Italian) restaurants. Friendly knowledgeable service , mainly a clean room but the crucial part of the room is the bathroom shower .. It's a shower over the bath BUT the base was brown and stained and a ring around the bath , I really didn't want to shower in it but I ended up standing on a towel to shower .
Comfy bed, spacious room , mini bar , table with 2 chairs , good menu but too much is on offer with all the other restaurants around.

Don't get me wrong - Great Hotel and value for money and location location location ...

• Stayed December 2012
Kevin B, General Manager at Quality Hotel Downtowner on Lygon, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Kyzafletch,

Thank you for you feedback on your recent stay with us.

I am sorry that the bathroom was not our usual high standard and I have followed up your comments with our housekeepers to ensure your concerns have been addressed. I am pleased that the rest of your stay was comfortable and my team were friendly.

We look forward to your next stay.

304 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Ballarat, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Stayed here for one night recently and it was so convenient for restaurants around the Chinatown area in Little Bourke Street. We had a king spa room which was clean and all that we needed; on the smallish side but we got a great deal through booking.com so that was fine.
Downside: the room was directly opposite the lifts so it didn't feel particularly private and we could hear people chatting while waiting for the lifts. The spa was in the small bathtub which was explained on the hotel site and perfectly okay but you really need to be careful of the step in and out of the bath - I nearly fell.
Upside: location is ridiculously good for shopping, eating and entertainment. Loved thqt we could open the windows and get fresh air.
Staff were pleasant.

Room Tip: Steer clear of the rooms opposite the lift
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Kevin B, General Manager at Quality Hotel Downtowner on Lygon, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Ally P,

I am pleased you found the hotel well located, and my team pleasant to deal with. I am sorry the noise from people waiting for the lift was disturbing; on your next visit please ask the receptionist to allocate you a room a little further away.

Thank you for your feedback.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I travelled with a colleague to Melbourne and the Downtowner proved to be an excellent choice: clean, comfy bed, big bathroom with a magnifying make-up mirror- very handy! The TV didn't seem to be operating but it was of no concern to us so didn't contact the front desk. When we arrived the service at the front desk was friendly however the WiFi was not free (:. It is well positioned in Lygon St with a very easy walk to shopping, restaurants etc. We did not use public transport so can't comment re the ease of transport there but we were able to walk to our work conference near Walter & Eliza Hall Institute. Didn't eat breakfast there but rather chose to eat in Lygon St. While I would not stay at the Downtowner if I was looking for a luxurious holiday for a business trip it was very good.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor - I didn't find it very noisy but my colleague did!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Jan D,

Many of our regular corporate clients, have very similar feedback, and I am pleased you found us to be a good place to stay whilst on business in Melbourne. For future trips, public transport is easily accessible with trams less than 5 minutes from our door and Melbourne central station only 7 minutes walk away.

On your next stay try our breakfast offering, which can be included in your room rate for reduced price.

Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Excellent location near CBD and wonderful restaurants. Good facilities and good service. Breakfasts in the dinning room was very good. The room was spacious and well designed, although it is a pity that people walk right past the window and so you need to keep the blinds down. The broadband was expensive.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Graeme N,

Thank you for your comments on our hotel and team. I am pleased you enjoyed our buffet breakfast, and hope that you took up special offer of 33% off for prebooking.

I agree with your point about our WiFi, which whilst has good bandwidth and strong signal is charged by a 3rd party provider- I am looking at options at reducing the cost this with our current supplier.

We do however offer complimentary broadband access in our executive rooms which is unlimited, so please ask my team for an upgrade to one of these rooms.

Colac, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Room was clean ..bed fantastic..was ofered up grade for breakfast for $20.00 for the two of us..
when we went to eat...there was pretty much NO food left @ 9.00am. a couple of peices for dry bacon..and scramble eggs othe than ceral ect..all other hot food on the smoragboard was empty..numerouse others walked out....Not even Coffee we were told we would have to wait 10min for a coffee ..(the coffee in room was bitter and not drinkable)..when l went to pay on check out we were charged $20.00 EACH for a breakfast ...grr we then went else where to have some coffee and food. :( l would stay again for the comfort and quietness but not for breakfast..

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Kevin B, Manager at Quality Hotel Downtowner on Lygon, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Donna,

Good afternoon.
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Downtowner on Lygon Hotel whilst in Melbourne.
It was our pleasure to host you however, we are disappointed to hear about your breakfast experience and that the quality of the food was far from our usual high standard.

Our hot buffet breakfast is $30.00 per person however we have a special offer if pre-booked at $20.00 per person, on a Sunday morning service is from 7am-10.00am. I apologize that this was not clearly explained to you.

On you next stay at The Downtowner on Lygon Hotel, I would like to offer two hot breakfasts in the hotel restaurant complimentary and also a complimentary room upgrade, subject to availability. Please contact me directly when you wish to make a reservation.
If I can be of any other assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Warm regards,
Lynne Chepanidis
Sales Manager
Geelong, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We have stayed at this motel/hotel on many occasions, approx 8. We book the same time every year as we go on a shopping trip at the outlets in Melbourne. The motel allow us to park our cars when we get there 1st thing in the morning, as we come from the country, and then book in when we get back from our shopping. It is a short stroll, hop skip jump, to Lygon st great food restaurants. And Vic market is just down the road, not far at all. The staff are friendly and polite and are more than willing to help us out if needed. We dont fird it noisy either but we arent there for relaxation or peaceful rest. The bed is a little hard, only bad comment really, Great pricing as well. Laurene.

Room Tip: We have always had the family room, so cant comment on any other rooms or positions. If you have alo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Laurene E,

I am really pleased to see you have stayed with us on number of occasions and enjoy doing so.

We look forward to seeing you on your next shopping trip to Melbourne, but hope it will be before Christmas next year...Melbourne is a great place to shop for friends and family birthdays throughout the year too!

Thank you for your review.

Bendigo, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My wife and I chose this hotels 'romance package' to celebrate our anniversary last week. We had a spa king room which consisted of a king size bed in a small, extremily noisy room with a tiny spa that could barely squeeze in one person comfortably.
The best thing that this hotel has going for it, its location, is also its downfall, as trying to sleep with the constant traffic noise and car horns etc will keep you awake all night.
After a restless night we were very much looking forward to a nice quiet sleep in in the morning - this was ruined when we were woken by housekeeping coming into our room at 8:00 in the morning!
For our $239 we also received champagne & chocolates on arrival & breakfast delivered to the room in the morning. Despite this we left the hotel tired & disappointed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sime159,

I was equally disappointed reading your review, as we obviously got it wrong on this occasion, and I am sorry we did not deliver the level of service to you which we are renowned for.

I am sorry too that you found the room noisy; as you noted the downside to having such a great location in a cosmopolitan part of Melbourne, is that the festivities on Lygon street can be distracting. I have also spoken to my head housekeeper and she joins me in apologising for the disturbance so early the following morning.

You deserve better from us, and I would really like the opportunity to try and address your concerns, and would appreciate it if you could get in touch with me directly to see if there is something we can do on your next visit to Melbourne.

Kevin Birchall

Been to Quality Hotel Downtowner on Lygon? Share your experiences!