“back packer accommodation maybe..” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Causeway Inn On The Mall

Save Saved
You added Causeway Inn On The Mall to your Saves list
Causeway Inn On The Mall
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   327 Bourke Street Mall, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #87 of 170 Hotels in Melbourne
Brisbane, Australia
“back packer accommodation maybe..”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for 5 nights. Our mistake was pre paying for the apartment. When we entered the property we found the bathroom was disgusting. The shower base was filthy and the rest of the bathroom tiles weren't much cleaner. We asked if we could have the bathroom cleaned again before we unpacked, however we were " advised" that the shower wasn't filthy it was grout from the new tiles that had been layed. Conceding defeat my wife and I went and brought sandles so we could stand in the bathroom.

Also my wife and I received a call from reception at 6.30am telling us that an alarm had gone off in our room and they were on their way up to check it out. When we answered our door we were acused of smoking. I understand that they have to check the alarm but my partner an i don't and never have smoked. We also had to ask for more soap and toilet paper to be replenished daily.

This is meant to be a three star hotel however in my opinion would be flat out cracking the 1/2 star mark.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Thai first
Perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Couldn't ask for a better location right in the middle of town. My room was a decent size with twin beds and a couch. I liked the touch of an iron and ironing board as well as the complimentary toiletries. I found a box of tissues and the hair dryer in a drawer. The TV screen was on the small size but was adequate. The room was clean as well as the linen and the beds were comfy. The room was on the side of the building so no view but it was very quiet. There is two lifts but this isn't a problem. On the down side the breakfast is very poor for $12.50 and with cafes literally on the door step, you're better off eating there than in the hotel. The whole place is a bit tired and the fittings in the bathroom were coming out of the walls. The hall way outside the room smelt strangely of mutton or cabbage but the actual room smelt fine. On checkout, the staff attempted to charge me for 3 breakfasts even though I was by myself. When I pointed this out they said it was for the previous day. As I had only stayed there for one night this was not a possibility and they had to concede. Would recommend this hotel mainly for the location.

Room Tip: Front facing rooms could be noisy. Eat breakfast elsewhere.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

This is our 4th stay in Causeway Inn on the Mall. It is really good value, as it is literally 10 steps from Burke St Mall. The room was small but with a little creative unpacking, quite adequate. The bed was very coimfortable and the linen good quality. (The pillows are nearing the end of their lives) The bathroom (shower) has recently been renovated and everything was in nice condition and very clean.

We had a view of a derelict building, but previously we have booked a Mall room which had a view into the Burke St Mall which we found a bit noisy with tram bells and buskers, so the side room suited us well - very quiet.

The staff are efficient and helpful.

The breakfast, while not lavish, is adequate and nicely presented.

Altogether, this is a great choice in the middle of Melbourne.

Room Tip: Side rooms are quieter but Burke st rooms have a better view.
Napier, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We spent 8 nights at this Inn & found the staff very helpfull with bookings planning day trips etc the rooms were very clean & the beds were very comfortable , breakfast was very healthy catering to all tastes, offering a great start to busy days.
Room service was good daily .
I would recommend this Inn to anyone wanting affordable accomodation in the heart of Melbourne where you step out to brilliant small cafes & Malls everwhere..

Mildura, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

A hotel in a GREAT location, trams stop directly out the front. The beds were comfortable. The only things missing were small creature comforts like a box of tissues and heater lighting in the bathroom (we all know how cold Melbourne gets).

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Basically, I wanted to stay somewhere central, not too expensive but nice! The rooms are on the small side but for the price/location I think it's worth the compromise. The bathroom did look a bit tired but the room/bathroom are clean and functional. Staff on reception were really helpful. Location is really central. I travelled on my own and felt safe. The continental breakfast was good, plenty of food and options.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Hobart, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

While the hotel may not be a 4 star hotel, it deserves it for location. It is just down a lane from the Mall. I looked out from my window, across the Mall to Myers...

I had a Queen Bed room and the room was small and a bit tired but everything was very clean and comfortable. I would definitely stay here again if looking for a cheap, central Melbourne location.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Causeway Inn On The Mall? Share your experiences!