“Nice central location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Melbourne

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Melbourne to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Melbourne
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1 - 5 Spencer St., Melbourne, Victoria 3008, Australia (Docklands)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #67 of 169 Hotels in Melbourne
Singapore, Singapore
“Nice central location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

Had 6 nights stay for business and found the hotel to be we'll run and very central to most attractions. The room offered to me whilst at the end of the corridor presented the best views of the south bank and the river.
Rooms are of nice size. Decent shower. General ambiance of the hotel is not that great especially having to ride the escalators up to the guest room lift lobby.
Nonetheless I will return because of its great location.

Room Tip: Get the rooms that face the south bank
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Cameron A, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear places2cthingstodo,
Thank you for your sharing your review of Crowne Plaza Melbourne. I am delighted to learn that overall you were satisfied with the level of service that you received and were pleased with the comfort of our Rooms. We will take onboard your feedback regarding the ambiance in the Hotel and look to ways which we can improve this for our guests. I look forward to sharing your comments with the Crowne Plaza team and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again soon.
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Finnish first
Paihia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

We usually like to stay at the Crowne Plaza, some differ and this did as well. This was booked for us by our Travel Broker we were pleased when the reservations came in and showed us our bookings. The place was easy to get to any handy to all you would want to do in Melbourne. The place is showing some signs of age, but the place is kept very clean, The front of house staff were excellent as were the restaurant staff, we did manage to have a mishap with the in room safe and this was promptly sorted for us. The only downside and it seems to be a Crowne Plaza thing is the main lighting in the room is not the best. all in all the property was better than expected and we happily would return.

Room Tip: Ask for river view
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Cameron A, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Dear Wayne H,
Thank you for sharing your positive review of Crowne Plaza Melbourne. I am pleased to learn that our staff were able to accommodate to your needs across all areas of the hotel. I am also delighted to learn that you were pleased with the level of comfort and cleanliness. I look forward to welcoming you back to Crowne Plaza Melbourne again in the near future.
Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

just returned from a 3 night stay. First time at the hotel and really enjoyed it. I requested a high level room and view if possible and was kindly accommodated. Swift and easy check in. Nice clean room and good size with the only down side being the bathrooms a little small with shower over bath. Lovely comfortable bed and super quiet room. View over the Yarra was stunning - thank you. Breakfast buffet was superb with a juice bar and wonderful friendly wait staff. In fact all the staff at the hotel were super friendly and really helpful during our stay. Great location for the DFO stores, Southbank bars and restaurants and the Melbourne Convention Centre. Will definately stay here again and will recommend to clients and friends and family. Thanks for an awesome Melbourne experience and keep up the great work!

Room Tip: ask for high up room and river view if possible
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Cameron A, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear TravelproNZ,
Thank you for sharing your positive review of Crowne Plaza Melbourne. I am pleased to learn that our staff were able to accommodate to your needs across all areas of the hotel. I am also delighted to learn that you were able to experience one of our River View Rooms and were pleased with the level of comfort and cleanliness. Thank you for your feedback regarding the bathrooms which we will utilise for future planning. I sincerely hope that I have the opportunity to welcome you back to Crowne Plaza Melbourne again in the near future.
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

My mum and i stayed at the Crowne plaza for 4 nights for our birthdays. From the moment we walked in the doors we were greeted with fantastic service, quick check in and offered to be a member of Club associated with the hotel which gave us complimentary WIFI,daily newspaper and late checkout. We had a twin river view room and it was absolutely fantastic, clean, spacious and the view was wonderful. The rooms were cleaned while we were out and about and we were supplied with new towels every day.

We had a few in room meals and they were of fantastic quality, they are rather expensive but we had a few meals around the Yarra and you would have paid similar prices at most cafes or restaurants. The only small criticism we would have is that there were not a lot of choices. This hotel is fantastic for a short stay, however i wouldn't stay much longer than 4 days as the fridge isn't all that big for buying a few things to have for breakfast or lunch so you're pretty much buying all meals while you're there.

The location is wonderful, you have spencer street DFO down the road and a short walk along the riverfront to the south wharf DFO. The 96 tram stops right out front of the hotel and that takes you right into Bourke street mall which came in handy on some of the warmer more humid days. The casino complex is just down the road as well, which was fantastic after having a few drinks and a bit of a gamble its just a short, well lit walk back to the hotel.

We had a fantastic stay at Crowne Plaza, the service was terrific and we will absolutely be returning and recommending to others!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Kate,
Thank you for sharing such a positive review of Crowne Plaza Melbourne. It is always a great pleasure to receive such wonderful feedback from our guests and I look forward to sharing this will the team. I look forward to welcoming you back to Crowne Plaza Melbourne again in the near future.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

I recently spent a weekend in Melbourne and am so pleased I picked this hotel over others which were asking a lot more. I am giving the hotel 5 stars due to it's cleanliness, room size and location.

So pointing out the obvious, the hotel is older so looks dated. But it is central to everything located just across the road from Crowne. It is within easy walking distance of South Wharf where a lot of new funky restaurants and bars have opened up.

Check in and check out were both fast, friendly and efficient.

The rooms are all spacious and have had a 'refresh'. We found the bed comfortable and the airconditioning was ok. The bathroom was fine, it was clean which is always my main concern.

We didn't eat in the restaurants, if you are going to Melbourne for the weekend and are intending to use a hotel as a base I would recommend this one.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear peteonholiday,
Thank you for your sharing such a positive review of Crowne Plaza Melbourne. I am delighted to learn that your experience at Crowne Plaza Melbourne was a memorable one. We take great pride in receiving such positive feedback as it recognises the efforts which our teams put in on a daily basis. I look forward to sharing your warm comments with the Crowne Plaza team and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again soon.
Naas, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

Stayed here for two nights very central for all of Melbourne's attractions. Rooms were very comfortable and spacious. Be careful of the bathroom door as the door stop prevents it from opening fully. Breakfast was expensive but very good I'm not sure if I would pay for it every morning if I was staying longer. Escalator to take you up one floor to the lifts was out of order for most of our stay and we had to use the stairs.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a river view if you don't mind paying that bit extra.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Patricia D,
Thank you for sharing your review of Crowne Plaza Melbourne. I am pleased to hear that our location was the highlight of your stay. Please accept my apologies that one of our escalators was not operational during your stay - I am pleased to advise that this has now been fixed. We do have an elevator available for use from the Lobby so I apologise that our staff did not make you aware of this. I sincerely hope that I have the opportunity to welcome you back to Crowne Plaza Melbourne again in the near future.
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

Myself and my Husband stayed here for 1 night for his 40th Birthday. Wehad stayed here before thats why we decided to saty again. We had a King Room overlooking the pool which was nice. The room was large in size, clean and the bed was very comfortable. The Hotel Reception Staff sent up a complimentary bottle ofwine for my husbands birthday which was more than thoughtful. We are in the hotel club with Crowne Plaza so our checkout was 2pm. Free wifi was included too but we just couldnt get on!(tryed at least 10 different times) We got the deal of valet parking and breakfast for 2 $85 which saved us $20. Breakfast is very nice and i dont mind paying $32 per head but when your pushed and shoved by obnoxious muscule men, and had to have there leftovers it was very dissapionting. There was a fitness exhibition on at the time and these people were taking advantage of the breakfast, stacking there plates sky high!. We actually left after a very small plate and coffee and had breafast elsewhere, so dissapointed. On our return we were confronted with a suitcase heading down the up escalator that a guest had just laid flat and hoped for the best! I was hit in the leg, after that we checked out, which was ok until the receptionist had to workout what the previous receptionist had done with our booking. Yes its located in a great place, and yes our first stay was wonderful but unsure if we shall stay again:(

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Sharon,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. Firstly I would like to pass on my regards to your husband in light of his recent birthday celebration. I was saddened to learn that overall your stay was less than satisfactory. Rest assured, your feedback will be used for our ongoing commitment to improving the quality of our product offerings. I was disappointed also that your breakfast experience was impacted upon by other guests. I sincerely hope that I have the opportunity to welcome you back to Crowne Plaza Melbourne again in the near future so that we have the opportunity to show you what we are capable of delivering.
Hotel Manager

Been to Crowne Plaza Melbourne? Share your experiences!