“A good hotel with lovely view of river, casino and nightlife” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Melbourne

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Melbourne to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Melbourne
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1 - 5 Spencer St., Melbourne, Victoria 3008, Australia (Docklands)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Members Get Up to 35% Off
Ranked #60 of 170 hotels in Melbourne
1,548 helpful votes 1,548 helpful votes
“A good hotel with lovely view of river, casino and nightlife”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a couple of times and it is a lovely and unique design hotel, it has a semi circular design on the Yarra river opposite the Crown casino so at least half of all the rooms have a spectacular view, the other half a good one. This is a good honest Hotel if you have an issue let the wonderful staff on the front desk know and it will be resolved, they are all so lovely. The concierge desk makes the whole place run and they are very efficient and some of the best I've seen working as a team to take care of every whim.

This Hotel have some lovely staff one I shall single out is Anna, she looked after me with the IHG passion for satisfying the customer and ensuring that they have a perfect stay. When you enter the beautifully appointed foyer you may feel it a bit like a shopping mall with all the escalators but look past them till you get to your room. The rooms are good, the beds are like sleeping on a Plush cloud, ok not every room is Brilliant, I like nearly every room I've stayed in on the "Opposite Casino side" and not so much those not. An ambient temperature is kept by the air conditioning. Let me not forget to mention the wonderful pillows, it's an IHG thing you can ask for your favourite style pillow and the rooms are very clean and well kept by an efficient house keeping, with the rooms made up brilliantly everyday. The curtains in the room are block out, so a sleep in is possible, the amenities amongst the very best.

In the evening we had dinner down in the Clarendon Street Grill restaurant which was great and drinks in the bar were relaxing.
On our second night we had room service which is very good, well delivered and laid out, Hot and scrumptious, if your hungry, with the your selection from the Crowne Plaza menu delivered quickly and hot. The next morning breakfast was delivered hot with a large room service selection all very tasty, delicious and tempting.

This is an excellent hotel, with some wonderful passionate staff, whilst not my favorite hotel in Melbourne, I recommend it especially if your visiting for the first time then it's a great location.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Cameron A, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Dear Vangelnternational,
Thank you for taking the time to share such a positive and thorough review. I was delighted to learn that how much you enjoyed your stay. I am also delighted to learn that you found our staff and Hotel to be accommodating, including your experience with the Front Office, Concierge, Housekeeping and Room Service teams. I look forward to sharing your warm comments with Anna and the rest of the Crowne Plaza team. I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again soon.

622 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Finnish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Comfortable stay. I agree with other reviewers about tram and local night life noise. Noise and safety was not too bad considering the casino is across the road. Staff were friendly, helpful and unobtrusive Housekeeping was even working on Christmas Day. Dining room staff were happy and busy. Display bowl of edible apples is a great idea. My only recommendation would be that the windows need cleaning on the outside.

Room Tip: Ask Reception staff for guidance when booking your room. They were able to accommodate our request...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Hamster,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I am also delighted to learn that you found our staff to be helpful and exceeded your needs. I appreciate your feedback regarding the windows and will have this remedied as soon as possible. I look forward to sharing your comments with our team and welcoming you back to Crowne Plaza Melbourne again in the near future.
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

We stayed in a King Suite on the top floor over the last weekend. The views were phenomenal across the river and with a tram stop right outside, the location couldn't be better. We walked to most things and found a great range of dining options available within a 5 minute walk. The staff were friendly and competent and our room was well appointed with two bathrooms and an extra large bed. Breakfast was well done with a huge range of items and an omelette bar which we made full use of. The only disappointing thing for us was that even though we were located on the top floor, the bar below on the ground made a huge amount of noise with music and people from 5pm on Friday afternoon to midnight as well as on a Saturday and Sunday night beyond those times. Whilst we appreciate this is not something the hotel can totally control, spending $350 a night to be bombarded with bar noise and singing led to two very restless night's sleep with my partner and I eventually giving up and going out again until late. Double glazing needs to be implemented to try and stop this happening. This was the only negative experience we had but not being able to sleep after having very busy days was not thrilling. The staff looked after us very well and overall, I would stay here again, just making sure we are on the opposite side of the building!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the non-river side of the building, facing the city, to prevent bar noise and m...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Cameron A, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear emoxhair,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our prime city location, River View Room and staff were able to exceed your needs and expectations. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our omelette bar provided at breakfast. I do appreciate your feedback regarding the noise coming from the bar and will look further into rectifying this issue. Please accept my sincere apology that this impacted on the overall enjoyment of your stay. I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again soon with the expectation that you receive a good nights rest.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

I stayed at the Crown plaza for business only. I also used their conference rooms.
Check-in: Was quite cumbersome as the taxi dropped me off at street level and the hotel was at least two levels up! The hotel check in was OK.
Rooms: Nice, clean and suit the purpose. They did seem a but small though.
Food: breakfast buffet was terrible- service was nowhere to be seen and the food was cold, so the next morning I ordered room service (I highly recommend this).
Conference room: Nice view and set up was as ordered. The service was not so good I'm afraid. We had catered for 20 people and food was prepared for 10. They had also forgotten our food allergy clients. We did complain about this and they have agreed to refund us, which is great.
Location: Great location to the casino and waterfront restaurants.
Overall- the hotel is OK but I cannot say I would stay again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Cameron A, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear Richolisa,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am saddened to hear that you were not pleased with the level of service you received with the staff at the Restaurant and that you did not find the buffet breakfast appealing and the level of service was not to your standards. I understand that you have already had contact from our Director of Meetings and Events and that appropriate compensation has been arranged. Your feedback has been shared with the various teams concerned and processes have been reviewed to ensure that other guests do not have the same experience.
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 4 nights , the hotel location is very nice specially if you have meetings around the south bank or in the city area. The drawback was the hotel having only one restaurant , also pls double check the room availability well in advance , at the price which i was paying was expecting a king size bed but got a room with two single bed. Overall was satisfied with the stay but could hv been better.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Cameron A, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Deepak108,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I was delighted to learn that overall you enjoyed your stay with us, in particular the location and facilities of Crowne Plaza Melbourne. I apologise in relation to the confusion with your room, I will follow this up with our reservations department. I will be sure to pass on your positive comments to our team and I trust I have the opportunity to welcome you back to Crowne Plaza Melbourne again in the near future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

Very clean, and had all business amenities that I required. Had a great view of the Yarra river at the casino side. Well worth asking for that view. Very friendly parking assitance and had my vehicle ready and waiting for when I requested.

Room Tip: Ask for view of the crown casino on the yarra river to see the flames in front of casino from 8pm
Dear Lee,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our prime city location, River View Room and staff were able to exceed your needs and expectations. I trust I have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel again soon.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 6 days and found it very acceptable. The rates were reasonable by Australian standards and the room was quite a decent size. It is well located in CBD and I would stay here again. My room was 423 overlooking the river and very close to the Crown Casino. The staff were very helpful. When I had a problem with wifi (which is not unusual in Australia where wifi is generally poor and slow), they provided me with my own personal wireless router in my room. The wifi charge is 19AUD per day. One of my pet peeves is having to pay for wifi. It should be complementary and included in the room rate. Hilton and Marriott have got the message in the US and provide complimentary wifi, but Australia is still in the dark ages when it comes to connectivity.

Room Tip: 423 on the Fourth floor overlooking the river. Close to elevators.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear polofson,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am delighted to hear that your stay with us was a memorable experience. You will be happy to hear that we are currently looking at ways of improving our internet service delivery in order to meet the needs of our guests. I look forward to sharing your comments with our team and welcoming you back to Crowne Plaza Melbourne when are are back in Victoria in the future.
Hotel Manager

Been to Crowne Plaza Melbourne? Share your experiences!