We traveled to Australia for our first visit “down under” experience, starting with a packaged Brendan (Trafalgar) tour of 3 major cities, air, hotels, all breakfasts and some other included meals, with sightseeing and city tours included, then staying in Australia on our own later, for more touring.
Our first city stop on this introductory tour of Australia was in Melbourne, and we had really GREAT modern accommodations for the first few nights at the downtown Melbourne Crowne Plaza. Our room was ultra-modern, was extremely clean, was very well decorated and well organized, and our upper floor room happened to have a great view of the downtown Yarra River areas. LCD TV, safe, comfy bed, robes, nice view, clean modern bathroom, nice useable desk area – everything in the room was done very nicely!
The hotel bar in the lobby had some reasonable happy hour drink prices, so that we were able to sample some local Aussie brews and wines, before walking just a few blocks to the Crowne Casino along the Yarra River walk area, where there were lots of good multi-national restaurant choices, outdoor cafes, etc. to choose from, for dinners. The hotel breakfast buffet that was included in our room price plan (with a packaged tour group) was the BEST that we encountered, during our 5 hotel (5 cities) stay while on this trip. There was a variety of standard fruit, cereals, also a number of good hot items, and a cook-to-order omelet station, with a chef.
The hotel offered free use of internet-access-computers, in the business room, to get your email, etc., with a reasonable honor time-limit, to keep computers available to all. There was a very nice looking rooftop pool (night pool picture included), but we did not have time to enjoy it. We did book a separate sightseeing tour, on our “free day/day off” from group touring, and the local tour company picked us up and dropped us back off at this hotel, which made it easy and convenient (a bus trip out of town to see the popular “Penguin Parade”, nightly bird migration to their beach sleeping burrows).
Very nice place – would love to return again!
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza Melbourne Hotel
- Crowne Plaza Melbourne Hotel Melbourne
- Melbourne Crowne Plaza
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on the banks of the Yarra River, in the heart of the Southbank precinct Crowne Plaza Melbourne is a located adjacent to Melbourne Convention Exhibition Center and a relaxed stroll from Southgate arts and dining promenade, the city center, Melbourne Aquarium, Etihad Stadium and shopping hot spots. Crowne Plaza Melbourne is a 5-minute walk from Southern Cross railway station and a 2-minute stroll to the tramways for swift travel across town. Taxis or our car service take 30 minutes from Melbourne Airport, while our convenient valet service makes parking a breeze. Providing support for the corporate traveler our business centre provides complimentary use of PCs, Internet and stationary supplies. Whether it’s over a succulent steak at Clarendon Street Grill, a classic cocktail in the Lobby Bar or an informal meeting in the Corporate Lounge, Crowne Plaza Melbourne really is The Place To Meet with friends, family, colleagues and clients. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Agoda, getaroom.com, HotelTravel.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings and Venere so you can book your Crowne Plaza Melbourne reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.