“Thankyou staff at Crowne Plaza” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Melbourne

You added Crowne Plaza Melbourne to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Melbourne
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1 - 5 Spencer St., Melbourne, Victoria 3008, Australia (Docklands)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #71 of 173 Hotels in Melbourne
Bendigo, Australia
“Thankyou staff at Crowne Plaza”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We stayed for our anniversary weekend and was very surprised with a free bottle of wine and a lovely hand written note for our anniversary. The staff were wonderful. We stay there most times we come to Melbourne.This time we stayed on the 10th floor the view was amazing!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
IHG_Hotel, Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Robynsomerville,

Thanks for the fantastic review and happy anniversary. We were delighted to read that you decided to spend your special day with us. We also think the views from level 10 are quite stunning and are some of the best in Melbourne.

We look forward to seeing you both again soon.

Crowne Plaza Melbourne Management Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Finnish first
Nice
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

The buidling is 3/4 of a circle. Of course, at first, I had been given the room "on the inside". For 30AUD more (about 10% of the price), I could move to the river side. The room is nice, nice view. Very poor wifi (still 25AUD/24hrs). The staff is helpful.

Not sure I would try to get there again

Room Tip: River side, high floor
Dear StephT06,

Thanks for the review, we believe the view is worth requesting and upgrading to, the view down the Yarra River is quite stunning both during the day and at night.

We were glad to read that you found our team members to be helpful.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Agree that it's not the simplest hotel to find the entrance - but we were lucky and made it.

The porters took care of the rental car, check in was smooth and we were given a good size room overlooking the river/bridge and casino.

It is not a 5 star luxery hotel, but a decent upgrade on a HI.

Room service good, restaurant not impressive - would not reccomend

Staff very friendly and helpful whoever we spoke to.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear PDW1,

Thanks for the feedback, great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. While we were pleased to read that you experienced helpful team members throughout the hotel, we were disappointed that your restaurant experience was not up to your expectations. The hotel will continue to focus on making improvements in this area.

We hope to see you again if you come back to Melbourne.

Bicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We were here for a two night weekend stay in Melbourne. Knowing the city quite well, the hotel (from a tourist point of view) is in a very good location. Trams on the doorstep and easy to walk to many attractions. If you are visiting Melbourne by car it can be difficult.  Only valet parking is available if you need flexibility and parking fees are high.

The hotel itself is clean but a bit dated now. Staff were all helpful & courteous. The decor is simple but a little tired in places. We had a King bed room with a great view of the city and Yarra river. It's perfect to watch the city go by & the flame display from the crown casino opposite the hotel (for those unaware of this display - large plooms of flame jeteson from pillars along the length of the casino complex - its the biggest waste of natural gas on the planet!).

The bed was comfortable but the bathroom (although clean) was really quite poor for this class of hotel. You get a cramped little room, small bath/shower and a sink with crumbling edges & signs of mould around the tiling. This room was $280/night and considering rates are usually well over $200 a night here, I would have expected better.

I have never used valet parking before (I would rather spend the extra funds on a nice meal or better room) but had no choice on this occasion since I was staying over a weekend. Most of the surrounding car parks are closed on weekends or do not allow multiple entry/exit. I have to say, its a nice little luxury just driving up to the door and handing your keys over. However at $40/day it certainly adds to the expense and not something I would do wherever I go!

Overall it's a reasonable hotel in a good CBD location for fly-in tourists but only just up to 4 star standards. Updating the  decor or at least bathrooms are hopefully being considered by management soon.
I only stayed here because I had a "free night" deal but if I was paying the full price for my 2 night bill  ($650 with parking & no breakfast) I would have stayed elsewhere (most likely the Blackman which I have reviewed before).

Personally, I had a pleasant stay but would probably not return. Melbourne has so much choice (& better value) with hotels now and I usually don't need to stay in the heart of the city as I usually come by car.

• Stayed February 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear AshNSW,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the good but also the opportunities to improve. It is pleasing to know that you found our location to be convenient for your needs and staff helpful. I am deeply sorry that you found your stay to be less than satisfactory due to the condition of the bathroom facility. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and I hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Great hotel, lovely room, beautiful views. Very happy with my room will deifnately stay here again next time !!!

Bed is extra comfy as are the pillows. Lovely soft robe & room service is also great. I will be booking in all my company travel to stay at the Crowne Plaza Melb when they travel as well.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sharon C (love your profile picture by the way)

Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at Crowne Plaza Melbourne, we agree that the views are spectacular and are becoming very popular. We are happy to see you enjoyed the extra comfy beds as they have only recently been replaced and we are getting great feedback about them.

See you next time
Belfast, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

As most people agree here the hotel needs some serious updating the decor is very tired and worn the carpet needing a serious steaming or better still replaced. The location it has to be said is terrific close to the river, great restaurants and the shops. I could see some efforts were being made and there were some nice touches here and there ( bowls of fresh fruit on most floors) on the whole the management need a long hard look at this hotel. I did find some other positives. The gym is small but clean and well equipped and the room service is speedy and the food good.

My largest issue would be with the staff. Aside from one gentleman who delivered my room service and was pleasant and accommodating ( he even tuned my tv in when he saw the picture wasn't great ) I found the staff ranged from disinterested to downright rude. The low point of my visit was when I was taking a taxi to the most important meeting of my trip. I had booked it the previous day and had allowed myself plenty of time. The taxi rank at the concierge station was shambolic at best and I was still waiting for it twenty minutes after the time it was booked for. I asked the concierge, a young gentleman with slicked hair and a beard if this sort of lateness was typical he replied : " I dunno mate I don't own the taxi company do I?"

Charming ......

Room Tip: Avoid unless all you care about is location
Dear Paul W,

Thankyou for taking the time to let us know about your time with us. We were extremely disappointed to read that your experience was not up to the high standards that we strive to achieve.

While we can see that there were some areas of the hotel you enjoyed, the consistently of customer service was obviously lacking as evidenced by your experience with the concierge. Please be assured that we have discussed your comments with all operational areas of the hotel so that we can continue to improve.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Having stayed at Dubai, Copenhagen, Vancouver properties Melbourne did not compare. For the gambler excellent position & rail traveller but when locals & cab drivers can't find their way, that is a problem. For self-driving overseas visitors move on! Concierge & staff very good. First rotating breakfast toaster that has worked. Lovely room but sadly our first & last visit.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear lolatraveller,

Thanks for the review, we were glad to read that overall you enjoyed your stay especially the concierge team, breakfast and your room. Sorry to hear that the taxi company had trouble finding us.

Crowne Plaza Melbourne Management Team

Been to Crowne Plaza Melbourne? Share your experiences!