“Good location and friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Melbourne

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Melbourne to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Melbourne
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1 - 5 Spencer St., Melbourne, Victoria 3008, Australia (Docklands)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Members Exclusive:25% Off
Ranked #67 of 170 Hotels in Melbourne
London
“Good location and friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Agree that it's not the simplest hotel to find the entrance - but we were lucky and made it.

The porters took care of the rental car, check in was smooth and we were given a good size room overlooking the river/bridge and casino.

It is not a 5 star luxery hotel, but a decent upgrade on a HI.

Room service good, restaurant not impressive - would not reccomend

Staff very friendly and helpful whoever we spoke to.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
IHG_Hotel, Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear PDW1,

Thanks for the feedback, great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. While we were pleased to read that you experienced helpful team members throughout the hotel, we were disappointed that your restaurant experience was not up to your expectations. The hotel will continue to focus on making improvements in this area.

We hope to see you again if you come back to Melbourne.

Crowne Plaza Melbourne Management Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Finnish first
NSW
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

We were here for a two night weekend stay in Melbourne. Knowing the city quite well, the hotel (from a tourist point of view) is in a very good location. Trams on the doorstep and easy to walk to many attractions. If you are visiting Melbourne by car it can be difficult.  Only valet parking is available if you need flexibility and parking fees are high.

The hotel itself is clean but a bit dated now. Staff were all helpful & courteous. The decor is simple but a little tired in places. We had a King bed room with a great view of the city and Yarra river. It's perfect to watch the city go by & the flame display from the crown casino opposite the hotel (for those unaware of this display - large plooms of flame jeteson from pillars along the length of the casino complex - its the biggest waste of natural gas on the planet!).

The bed was comfortable but the bathroom (although clean) was really quite poor for this class of hotel. You get a cramped little room, small bath/shower and a sink with crumbling edges & signs of mould around the tiling. This room was $280/night and considering rates are usually well over $200 a night here, I would have expected better.

I have never used valet parking before (I would rather spend the extra funds on a nice meal or better room) but had no choice on this occasion since I was staying over a weekend. Most of the surrounding car parks are closed on weekends or do not allow multiple entry/exit. I have to say, its a nice little luxury just driving up to the door and handing your keys over. However at $40/day it certainly adds to the expense and not something I would do wherever I go!

Overall it's a reasonable hotel in a good CBD location for fly-in tourists but only just up to 4 star standards. Updating the  decor or at least bathrooms are hopefully being considered by management soon.
I only stayed here because I had a "free night" deal but if I was paying the full price for my 2 night bill  ($650 with parking & no breakfast) I would have stayed elsewhere (most likely the Blackman which I have reviewed before).

Personally, I had a pleasant stay but would probably not return. Melbourne has so much choice (& better value) with hotels now and I usually don't need to stay in the heart of the city as I usually come by car.

• Stayed February 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear AshNSW,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the good but also the opportunities to improve. It is pleasing to know that you found our location to be convenient for your needs and staff helpful. I am deeply sorry that you found your stay to be less than satisfactory due to the condition of the bathroom facility. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and I hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Great hotel, lovely room, beautiful views. Very happy with my room will deifnately stay here again next time !!!

Bed is extra comfy as are the pillows. Lovely soft robe & room service is also great. I will be booking in all my company travel to stay at the Crowne Plaza Melb when they travel as well.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sharon C (love your profile picture by the way)

Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at Crowne Plaza Melbourne, we agree that the views are spectacular and are becoming very popular. We are happy to see you enjoyed the extra comfy beds as they have only recently been replaced and we are getting great feedback about them.

See you next time
Belfast, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

As most people agree here the hotel needs some serious updating the decor is very tired and worn the carpet needing a serious steaming or better still replaced. The location it has to be said is terrific close to the river, great restaurants and the shops. I could see some efforts were being made and there were some nice touches here and there ( bowls of fresh fruit on most floors) on the whole the management need a long hard look at this hotel. I did find some other positives. The gym is small but clean and well equipped and the room service is speedy and the food good.

My largest issue would be with the staff. Aside from one gentleman who delivered my room service and was pleasant and accommodating ( he even tuned my tv in when he saw the picture wasn't great ) I found the staff ranged from disinterested to downright rude. The low point of my visit was when I was taking a taxi to the most important meeting of my trip. I had booked it the previous day and had allowed myself plenty of time. The taxi rank at the concierge station was shambolic at best and I was still waiting for it twenty minutes after the time it was booked for. I asked the concierge, a young gentleman with slicked hair and a beard if this sort of lateness was typical he replied : " I dunno mate I don't own the taxi company do I?"

Charming ......

Room Tip: Avoid unless all you care about is location
Dear Paul W,

Thankyou for taking the time to let us know about your time with us. We were extremely disappointed to read that your experience was not up to the high standards that we strive to achieve.

While we can see that there were some areas of the hotel you enjoyed, the consistently of customer service was obviously lacking as evidenced by your experience with the concierge. Please be assured that we have discussed your comments with all operational areas of the hotel so that we can continue to improve.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

Having stayed at Dubai, Copenhagen, Vancouver properties Melbourne did not compare. For the gambler excellent position & rail traveller but when locals & cab drivers can't find their way, that is a problem. For self-driving overseas visitors move on! Concierge & staff very good. First rotating breakfast toaster that has worked. Lovely room but sadly our first & last visit.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear lolatraveller,

Thanks for the review, we were glad to read that overall you enjoyed your stay especially the concierge team, breakfast and your room. Sorry to hear that the taxi company had trouble finding us.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

After staying at Crowne Plazas in Dubai, Hong Kong & Copenhagen, this property does not match up. For gamblers it is in an excellent location & for those seeing to be close to the main Station also a good choice. Otherwise, we will not visit again. The cab driver took us to the Casino entrance as he couldn't find Hotel entrance! Two local family members got lost picking us up & completely lost trying to drop us back at the Hotel & I know that any tourist driving a local hire car would give up.
Concierge were most helpful. Food in bar area was disappointing. Breakfast buffet was good & had one of the best pair of rotating toasters that worked! Bed, as is usual at Crowne Plaza properties, was very comfortable. Room had a lovely view over the Yarra River & a glass desk for writing, working,etc. There was NO cable TV which was disappointing also. All in all, the hotel suited our needs for a 2 night stay but in my estimation was lacking.

Room Tip: Pay extra $30 for a 'room with a view'
Hobart, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

When travelling to Melbourne for business, we normally stay at the Parkview in St Kilda Road. This time, as we were travelling with our 5 year old daughter, we thought we would stay at the Crowne Plaza, as it had a swimming pool, and close proximity to Southbank etc.

It had been several years since we had stayed at the Crowne Plaza, and our return trip was very disappointing.

We booked a room with king bed & rollaway (told we would be charged an additional $50 per night for rollaway, which seemed excessive, but we agreed to), as we were unable to book a single bed with king online.

Arriving at the hotel, checkin was fast and efficient, which was a great start. However, when we arrived in our room, there was no bed for our daughter. We called Reception, and were met with a grumpy response, and advised we never booked this. I advised that we had actually called the hotel to make the booking, and confirmed everything verbally, as we had been unable to book online. Begrudgingly, they advised that a rollaway bed would be sent up to the room, which it was within around 15 minutes, which was great. Reception then called to confirm that the rollaway bed had arrived, which we informed them it had, then they requested additional payment on top of the $242.50 per night we had already paid.

The hotel and rooms seem tired and dated, and looks as though nothing has been updated in the last 10 years that we have been staying there. Carpets were stained, windows dirty, bathrooms grotty with discoloured mould etc. Our beds were rock-hard, and very uncomfortable, and the rooms were quite noisy from street traffic below, so a bad night's sleep was had by all.

Onsite valet parking was $40 per day which we thought quite steep, but there is a 24hr public car park only a couple of hundred metres away, which only charged $13 per day for hotel guests, so we used this.

The swimming pool is also looking very tired, with grout missing and tiles dislodged and falling off, and also not heated to a temperature that would invite people to swim outdoors in Melbourne.

The only saving grace for the hotel was the Clarendon restaurant, which provided lovely breakfasts (special mention to the lovely Ann on the egg station - she provided the warmest service from any of the staff we encountered on our stay), and we also enjoyed a nice dinner there also.

Overall, the hotel is in a good location, close to Southbank, the Casino and public transport, but we felt it to be tired, and overpriced. It was worth a try, but we will be returning to our tried-and-trusted Parkview when we next return to Melbourne.

Room Tip: Riverview rooms provide a great view of Southbank, but are very noisy from street traffic below.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Newhinson,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. We are happy to read liked our location. However, we regret you were not fully satisfied with your accommodations and the service you received during your stay. We just want to assure you that our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. We have taken note of your valuable comments and have shared these with our management team for the purpose of bringing improvements needed.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Crowne Plaza Melbourne? Share your experiences!