“A great base for Melbourne!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders

You added Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   575 Flinders Lane, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #66 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Belfast, United Kingdom
“A great base for Melbourne!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Just spent six great nights at this hotel. The staff were lovely and very welcoming. Special mention to Anastasia for her always charming hello when leaving or entering. Our silver wedding anniversary was remembered by a lovely touch, a chilled complimentary bottle of bubbly. Thank you so much!

Melbourne is great. The hotel is in a great central position to explore. Immigration museum is two minutes away. Old Melbourne Gaol on Russell street is a must. My wife Noreen even got picked to play ' Ma Kelly' in the two person play about Ned Kelly's life and death, a fantastic show and well done to the theater group for this informative and entertaining historical and relevant story that still enthralls after some 130 years. The war remembrance museum was both sombre and poignant. It celebrated the memory of the ultimate sacrifice made by so many from Australia and New Zealand. An outstanding place of reconciliation which has got it right regarding atmosphere and pride.

We loved the authentic and ultra reasonably priced Indian / Pakistani restaurant on King Street, ' Delhi Rocks'. Great food and this from a Glaswegian who knows about Indian food. Young Mr Khan was a perfect host and was a pleasure to talk with.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
IHG_Hotel, General Manager at Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thank you for your positive and comments about our hotel.

I agree our location is great here in the CBD of Melbourne. With trams at the door and walking distance to so many attractions we often receive this feedback. We also pride ourselves on providing friendly personable service and thrilled you found the team here very welcoming. Our Service is real and our people are encouraged to be themselves, which is what our guests expect in Holiday Inn.

Thanks once again for your feedback and we hope you visit us again soon one day.

Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Korean first
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

This hotel is in a good location for an easy walk to Spencer St and Flinders St stations, Southwharf DFO and the riverbank precinct.
Our room was basic but very clean though it had quite a musty smell to it. Turned out the airconditioner had leaked and the carpet was a little damp in a small area. I did also think the pillow had an odd smell which was very off putting. The bathroom was extremely tired and overdue for an upgrade. The redeeming factor for the hotel is its staff, all of which were friendly, helpful and efficient.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. I sincerely appreciate your time and care in doing so.

Our location in the CBD is fantastic and I note you really enjoyed this as a great feature of our hotel. We receive a lot of feedback regarding the close proximity to the railway stations, being in the centre of the CBD and only 2 minutes’ walk to Southern Cross Station also.

I would like to apologise for the air-conditioner that leaked water onto the carpet. Our Maintenance Team have advised me that the actuator in the air conditioning unit will cause this and will need replacing. I am grateful for all your feedback and thank you for making a special mention too regarding the friendly staff here. I am always extremely proud of our team here and how specifically how friendly, knowledgeable and accommodating they are.

Kind regards,

Vijfhuizen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel in Nov 2013.
The first thing that we were very pleased with was the welcome by the staff relaxed, helpfull and efficiënt.
The hotel providers valet parking on site quick no hassle.
The room had an early one full size glas wall the room well equipt and good size.
Beds top.
Good bathroom everything is there.
The bar is very nice location, bartenders friendly
Breakfast very elaborate and again the view from the restaurant is Nice.
The only disturbing issue is the slamming doors, basically down to fellow guests unfotunatly not all guests take that into consideration.
So perhaps door dampers might be considered.
Overall a very pleasantly stay right in the hart of the action.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your great feedback about Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders.

It is always rewarding to receive positive feedback about the staff and our products too. I note you mentioned the doors slamming by other people presumably in their rooms. I (upon receiving your feedback) have a programme in place for our Maintenance Team to test the closing or “hush” mechanism on our doors so this does not impact other guests in our hotel.

We have made recent improvements to our breakfast buffet and I am thrilled you found this great. Our Head Chef Scott Horn is very particular about not only serving great fresh food – but also that it looks so good you could eat with your eyes.

Thanks for your wonderful feedback once again and we hope you visit us again soon.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Stayed here for Cup week as the location is superb and priced well. It's right near Spencer St station and CBD. It's an easy place to get to / from. Check in was really efficient and the staff really helpful and friendly. The breakfast buffet is good and not over crowded. An efficient quick breakfast can be grabbed and it'll stock up every type of person.

Internet use is expensive in room but free in the lobby.

My room was on the 8th floor (away from road noise) and "ok". I know what I'm in for at Holiday Inn (value, location, not 5 star) but I was surprised at the condition of the room - I mean cleanliness.

The Bathroom is tired and the toilet was pretty gross. I was looking for a power plug near the bed and had to slightly move the side table for access to it - yuk...pretty awful dust build up on all the fittings. Sadly housekeeping left some of their cleaning fluids in my room - mistakes sometimes happen - I'm pleased that they use them.

I dare say this is a really busy property and if the room was cleaned well, I would have been totally happy! Maybe the rooms are due for an upgrade?

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear zoomer-7,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We appreciate you bringing your concern to our attention and rest assured, your input will be shared with our management team for the purpose of bringing improvement to this identified weakness and rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is. If you have future concerns, please let the Duty Manager know so an alternate room could be offered if available.

Connie D
Tokyo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I usually stay here when I am in Melbourne, the restaurant and cafe in the hotel are very good and priced nice. There are also a lot of food choices right around the hotel, with a super market and train station within walking distance. Nice sightseeing by the river and short walking distance to the casino.

Room Tip: See if you can get a room on not on the street side, it may be a little noisy at night.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Holiday Inn M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear Biz G,
Thank you for your review of our hotel. It is wonderful to hear from a returning guest and we are glad that you choose to stay with us on your trips to Melbourne. We look forward to welcoming you back again upon your next stay.

Kind Regards,

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Well back to the Holiday Inn on Flinders once again. Checkin was not as good as usual, however this may not necessarily be the fault of the hotel, considering that the travel agent that my company uses did not bother to pass through my IHG Rewards number.

Having said that, I did receive a call to my room after the checkin process by Hayley to ensure that all was good and apologise for not recognising my status. That gesture was appreciated, and soon after a knock at the door, and who should be there but Hayley, with a bottle of water and a small package of chocolates. Not necessary, but very thoughtful and yes the little things do make a difference.

The room I was given is very near the lift, which is a location I do not particularly like, however I chose not to change, although it was offered. The room is larger than normal, so that is a good thing. It also has a view of the street which is nicer than others I have had in the past.

Housekeeping needs to get more on the ball. I ordered pizza delivery on the first night, yet when I checked out 3 days later the empty boxes and scraps were still in the room, so it appears that either housekeeping did not see them, or could not be bothered. This was pretty disappointing and should not have happened.

Overall the stay was not too bad. Average I guess is probably the best description. Let's see how they shape up next time I am in Melbourne.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear treborgb,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your room and the majority of features provided. However, I apologize that the service you have received fell below your expectations. This is definitely not up to our standards and we are constantly working on improving the quality of service provided. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Janice A
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I booked here as it was 5-10 mins walk from Melbourne Convention Centre and much cheaper than Hilton, Crowne Plaza or Crown. Room fairly basic, bathroom tired but functional. Splash pool not long enough for reasonable swimming exercise but nice to have it. Breakfasts very good. I paid for package with breakfasts & wifi included in price rather than paying for them separately. Still averaged at AU$250/night with breakfast & wifi so not cheap.
Staff friendly & efficient without being over the top. Unusually poor bedmaking service but perhaps I did not read the writing properly? Did not try restaurant for dinner, nor did I try the evening bar.
I think this really should be 3.5 stars rather than 3 but they won't let me give half stars!
A handy alternative to other accommodation for convention centre, as long as weather is ok and not raining as your walk will be exposed for much of the walk to the elements. I did find a covered walkway through the world trade centre but would still get wet crossing the bridge to the convention centre.

Room Tip: don't know if I can help here. I was on 7th floor looking over Flinders Lane, no view except for...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear fabsnake,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit at our hotel and for providing us with your valuable feedback. I appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided. I sincerely apologize for the experience you had with the room conditions. Your comments are highly appreciated as this allows us to make your future stays much more comfortable.

Thank you again for your comments as this is very helpful to us to ensure we are able to meet our guests expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Janice A
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders? Share your experiences!