“Restaurant was terrible!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders

You added Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   575 Flinders Lane, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Members Exclusive:25% Off
Ranked #68 of 172 Hotels in Melbourne
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Restaurant was terrible!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I did not stay at the hotel so I cannot comment on the hotel or rooms.
However, I can comment on the restaurant - it was awful. I was greeted by a waiter who was very condescending of my solo dining, and made me feel uncomfortable about doing so by making comments about it. I was seated between two other tables which was fine; however the woman at the table to my right was served the wrong meal and promptly left, and the family to my left were served at totally different times, the parents were told their meal was taking longer and it would be 20minutes after the kids - this is terrible service. My own experience with service was okay other than the condescending waiter and the waitress who obviously didn't know what was on the menu. The food was very average, and not much care had been taken with chopping vegetables. I then went to pay, and the bar staff tried to make me pay for the family next to me, and got snotty with me after I told them for the fifth time that the bill produced was not for my table.
I would NOT recommend this restaurant at all, I was appalled by the standard of service.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Holiday Inn M, Manager at Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Henri3tta

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review. We are sorry that you had a less than perfect experience in our restaurant. We pride ourselves on the level of service and quality of food that we deliver and I am sorry that you have been let down on this occasion. We take all feedback very seriously and I will be personally addressing the concerns that you have mentioned. If you are still in Melbourne or visiting again soon, we would like to welcome you back again and show you the level of service and food that we pride ourselves upon. If you would like to discuss this matter further please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Korean first
Bangalore, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

The hotel is very well located. The rooms had a beautiful view. Bathrooms were a little small and average. The service was good and the food was surprisingly good! (the hummous was excellent!) We had a good stay and recommend it highly.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Holiday Inn M, Manager at Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Dear div518

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We greatly appreciate your feedback, and I am glad that you enjoyed the location, friendly service from our staff, and were pleasantly surprised by our food and beverage offerings. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights for Business. Hotel is in a great location and all staff I encountered were friendly. Bed were comfortable but the bahroom are a little dated and could do with a deep clean though.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Holiday Inn M, Manager at Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Alexander V

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We greatly appreciate your feedback, and I am glad that you enjoyed the location and friendly service from our staff. I appreciate you mentioning our bathrooms, as we have just started a deep cleaning cycle in all of our guest rooms, especially the bathrooms and I am sure you will notice a difference upon your next visit.

Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We rolled up to the Holiday Inn, after a 4 day festival. We were dusty and tired to say the least. The staff were AMAZING. They signed us up to become members and gave us the complimentary newspaper delivery in the morning ! We stayed in the superior king room, which was a real treat after camping. The bed was a DREAMBOAT! the bathroom was amazing and the view from the floor to ceiling windows was just lovely. Its a few minutes walk (if that) from the train station and a nice short stroll to the main center of the city. Really close to trams etc. I really didn't want to leave. Oh, and the pool. Wow. So nice, there was only 1 other person in the pool and it was clean and sparkly and got plenty of sun. Highly recommend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Suzie J

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review, we greatly appreciate your feedback and share it with the team. It sounds like you were in need of a relaxing stay and found it. Thank you for mentioning our staff as they are our biggest asset and we pride ourselves in the service that we deliver. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We would stay again, reception fantastic, good price, clean room, full breakfast $29 each, valet parking $40.

We chose this hotel as it was close to the exhibition centre, booked direct with hotel as same price as on other sites. Very good customer service at reception, breakfast was good also, there is a 1.5% surcharge on credit cards but im not sure if that's the norm these days. Valet parking was punctual. All in all a great place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Richard 1236

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We greatly appreciate your feedback and I am glad that you had a great stay with us. It is good to see that you booked direct with us, as we have a lowest price guarantee with all of our Holiday Inn Hotels and you will always get the lowest price available through any booking channels when booking direct. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

1,553 helpful votes 1,553 helpful votes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

This is a wonderful Hotel and I can highly recommend a stay at Holiday Inn Flinders Street. The rooms are lovely, the Guest Experience Manager Amanda is Superb, the team are the very best, friendly, attentive and helpful, yet have an air of style and effecient grace, and another Amanda on the front desk is charming. Brad the GM oversees the operations and has obviously a flair for customer satisfaction, as his team all seem so passionate about their Hotel. This Hotel have staff that truley come across as if they enjoy their work from the housekeepers and the front office, its always nice to arrive here.

The rooms have block out curtains so a good nights sleep is almost guaranteed, though if you are sensitive to mild noise and vibration then ensure you ask for a room away from the Tram side of the hotel. The airco is great and keeps the room ambient, and the room service is Fabulous. Delivering a vast range of healthy treats and naughty defeats you'll love them all. Breakfast can also be very well delivered by room service or in the restaurant downstairs where they have a very good buffet. They have a dedicated chef at an egg station to cook you eggs just the way you like them. Also say hello to Howard in the restaurant he is a star, He has been working there for close to 7 years which is as many years as I have stayed on and off and always remembers me, when I visit. All the staff in the restaurant and bar were super friendly, polite and know the menu well to make some great recommendations.

The Hotel is within easy walking distance to so many attractions, like the CBD central shopping, the newly refurbished Myer complex, the lovely David Jones, the Crown casino and Flinders street station. The guys at the desk can help and assist with all your bookings, maps and advice on things to do and there's plenty to do. The city has the Yellow Cab Charm of New York, the Trams that remind one of Amsterdam or San Francisco and cafe set that rivals many European cities but still holds a uniquely Australian feel.

This year in July 2013 the Priority Rewards club gets a revamp, a new name and new benefits, with some better reward opportunities and will be called the IHG Rewards Club, so look out for those exciting changes. As an IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, for ten years, I can Highly recommend this Hotel and the free IHG Rewards Club. I am truly looking forward to visiting again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear VangeInternational

Thank you for your amazing feedback about our hotel and specific team members. It is great to hear this positive feedback from one of our regular guests that choose our hotel time after time.

It is very rewarding to read that you found particular staff to be at their best and delivering friendly attentive service. We pride ourselves on the standard of the service we deliver, and this great feedback has been passed onto those that you have identified in your feedback.

We too are excited about the positive changes from Priority Club Rewards to IHG Rewards Club that will take place 1 July 2013.

Thank you again for your informative feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I have been staying at this hotel for about 6 years and while it is in a fantastic location for transport and access to football grounds (Etihad and MCG) I don't think much has been spent on updating the rooms. The staff are always friendly and helpfull and the dinner and lunch Ala carte menu at the resturant is good the breakfast is a bit ordinary and not worth what they charge. You would be advised to skip breakfast and head downtown to a laneway cafe, far better food and and cheaper.
The rooms are always clean and tidy but have not been updated for quite a while with the exception of a flatscreen TV. The rooms and bathrooms desperatly need some dollars spent on them and some new towels in the bathrooms.

Room Tip: Go down to a laneway cafe for breakfast