“Good location” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #68 of 173 Hotels in Melbourne
Katoomba, Australia
“Good location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

This hotel is located just down from Spencer st railway station and if you are coming from the airport is just a short walk down from where the skybus drops you off. I came down to Melbourne to do the inaugrial City2Sea fun run. As I like to walk it was a great location to walk to southbank, the casino, yarra river and the cbd of Melbourne. I was a bit disappointed with this hotel, check in was quick but not that friendly. The bath in the room had seen better days and needed replacing. There was dust on the legs of a chair and on the base of a table. I had to turn the air conditioning off in the middle of the night as it was noisy.When I checked out I was not asked if I enjoyed my stay, the young lady was more intent on telling me the surcharges that my credit card incurred and the service charge on my room service.
The room looked out at a very old building built in 1880 which was really nice. The bed was comfortable and room service was good. But I do not think I will stay at this hotel again, I was disappointed as i would have expected better from Holiday Inn.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

My husband and I stayed in a king room at the Holiday Inn for 2 nights for a weekend in the city after booking through wotif. Considering the price of the room ($229 a night) we were disappointed with our stay. Found the room to be quite small as well as the bathroom. We stayed our first night on the first floor with a view of the courtyard - firstly this didn't feel very private, and secondly our toilet wouldn't flush properly. The staff were obliging in moving us to a room on the top floor with a view of the grand hotel opposite for our second night. In both rooms the walls appeared to be very thin and we could hear the pipes quite loudly when others were showering. We didn't feel we received warm/friendly service from the staff either who just appeared to be doing their job. The hotel does have a few good things going for it - good location particularly if you are using southern cross station (we used valet parking), tram stops near the hotel, rooms were neat and clean, and adequate buffet breakfast.
We have stayed in a number of other hotels in the city and believe you can find somewhere with bigger/nicer rooms and better service for a similar or even better price. I wouldn't choose to stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
IHG_Hotel, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders, responded to this review, November 17, 2011
Dear KatBat07,

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor after your recent stay at Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your time in the city, but are also sorry that some aspects of your room & the service that you encountered weren't as you expected.

We will certainly look at what was behind the issues you've raised & will work on making sure they are addressed in as timely a manner as possible.

Thank you for letting us know about your experience and we do hope that you will choose to stay with Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders next time you are visiting the city.

Kind Regards,

Noosa, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

I am a platinum member of the priority privilege program ,which often doesn't count for much except here it does;from the moment I walked in; great service; upgrade to an impressive suite;certainly won't look further afield on my next trip to Melbourne

• Stayed November 2011
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn on Flinders many times, and whilst offering nothing outstanding, the rooms are well appointed and clean, and the staff are always very friendly and professional. The best thing about the hotel is its location.
The standard rooms are rathy pokey, but the corner suites are great, and I also like the king rooms with full height windows. Noise from traffic and trams outside can be a problem, but I rather like it because it reminds you that ypu are in Melbourne the city of trams.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Spencer street
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Hykeham,Lincoln
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

We stayed at the Holiday Inn on Flinders for 4 days a few weeks ago and had a lovely stay. The hotel is very clean and comfortable and we had a very nice bedroom and the hotel is in a very good central position to explore Melbourne.The staff were all polite and efficient and Jerome in the restaurant was particularly pleasant and helpful and a credit to the hotel. We look forward to another visit if we are in the Melbourne area again. Many thanks to all.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
IHG_Hotel, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders, responded to this review, November 4, 2011
Dear jeanHykeham_lincoln,

Thanks for posting a review on TripAdvisor after your recent stay at Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your time with us, and we appreciate your feedback about our staff! It is always a pleasure to acknowledge staff when they receive personal mentions, and we will ensure that Jerome sees this review!

Thanks again, and we look forward to seeing you back at Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders next time you are in Melbourne!

Regards,

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times previously and enjoy it as a nice base for staying in Melbourne. The hotel is an easy walk to all the important parts of the city and very handy if your partner wants to go shopping. This time I stayed in a standard room of average size, good decor and a very comfortable bed. Liked the choice of pillows. The bathroom is a bit outdated, and probably needs renovation, but was otherwise fine, everything worked and was quite clean.
Had a room facing south with a very large window, so the view was not as interesting as previously when I had a room facing Spencer Street. Good blackout drapes helped as I needed a bit of a sleep-in.
Shower was nice & hot and lovely fluffy towels.
I found the staff to be very friendly & efficient, and I enjoyed a nice relaxed breakfast buffet whilst people watching on a Saturday morning on Spencer Street.
The hotel was impeccably clean and well presented. Overall I recommend this hotel in central Melbourne and would definitely stay here again..
Keep up the good work Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

The hotel's location is great close to the Casino and public transportation. The rooms are clean and the service is excellent. Breakfast's selection is very good, both cold and warm selections. I like the do DIY fresh juice bar - nice touch. Nothing like starting the day with fresh carrot and apples juice.

I am a platinum priority club member and this property is very good at upgrading me to suites when available

Room Tip: Ask for room facing the back - the tram noise can be an issue for light sleepers
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
IHG_Hotel, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders, responded to this review, October 24, 2011
Dear Dandor,

We are pleased that you enjoyed the breakfast, and that you have the regular opportunity to take advantage of the benefits of Priority Club Rewards.

Hopefully we see you back at Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders next time you are visiting Melbourne!

Regards,
Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders Management Team

Been to Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders? Share your experiences!